Author Topic: going back in time,?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
going back in time,?
« on: 10 April, 2016, 08:50:54 AM »
Hello Everyone,

If you could turn back the clock and go back to a time when you lived in Newham , what time would you like to go back to.

Mine would be when neighbours (many where retired pensioners ,)  would sit outside their doors and talk to anyone passing by , everyone seemed friendly, and usually had a good word to say, again I seem to remember people smiling, more than I see today,  is it me or have we lost our way with regards to having friendly  helpful neighbours,

then there was little need for security as many of us were in the same boat and had nothing worth stealing,
but then every one Knew every body else too,  and in many cases helped each other out when help was needed.

Q; what time would you like to go back to, will you share your memories with us,

many regards to you,

GEORGIAN,
« Last Edit: 10 April, 2016, 05:27:34 PM by GEORGIAN »

Offline nan

• View Profile
Re: going back in time,?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »
Gorgian,
I think the same as you,people did seem happier years ago when we were all in the same boat,didn't have much money times were very hard for our mums and dads but there was always plenty of love.
I consider I have had a happy life good family,lovely husband and children,but cannot really say which
Period of my life was the happiest,I have such lovely memories.
I was saying to one of my grandsons only yesterday how people seemed much friendlier  years ago,don't know why .
I lost my husband,my children all married,I have grandchildren and greatgrandchildren now,but am well satisfied with my life now,still keep smiling and laughing,if only I was in better health,but we can't have everything ,can we
Best wishes to you,keep smiling,Nan 😀😀😀😀

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »
 Bless you nan,

many regards,

Georgian, 

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
I'm sorry Georgian, but I think people are just as happy today but possibly not quite as sociable as they were in the old days: I know for certain that I am contented with my lot. I always find that most [not all] people will respond to a nod, smile, or a cheery remark. Of course you can't go round smiling and every Thomas, Richard or Harold that you pass, but, I find I get more positive responses than the negative scowls. Nostalgia. A thing of the past! :-* :-*

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Hello nellanhoj,

thats a Fair comment,

many regards

GEORGIAN,

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
The Festival of Britain 1951.  Sitting dressed as a Red Indian on the cowboys & Indians float and the big meet-up & party in Lyle Park.  Parties in the school hall.  Playing on the Thames riverbank by the barges.  The many street games we all played out in the open air.  Being chased out of Royal Victoria Dock by the Dock policeman.  No TV’s until sometime in mid 1950’s.  Sitting listening to all the wireless programs with your imagination running wild; Journey into Space, Dick Barton Special Agent, PC 49, The Barlows of Beddington, Rays a laugh, Educating Archie, The Goons Show, Billy Cotton Band Show, Take it from here.  Playing in the bombed out houses & running across the beams on top of houses with no roof’s playing ‘He’.  Catapult stone fights with kids on the roofless houses firing stones down at the kids in the Anderson Shelters below who were firing stones back up at the kids on the roofs.  Bow & Arrow wars on the bombed debri’s.

Going up to Poplar Hospital with mum over the tiniest of injuries and having a tea-break in Mrs Myers hospital tuck shop.  Once a fortnight at Poplar Queens theatre with mum.  Finally, mums roast beef dinners at the same time every Sunday listening to ‘Two-way family favourites’ on the wireless.  ‘In England it’s 12-noon & in Germany it’s 1pm and time for two-way family favourites. ‘Bugger it - The valves gone!’ as dad so often said.  Then in 1953 we all had the QE2 Coronation parties with a repetition of everything we did in the Festival of Britain as it all took off again.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »
I think you about covered it all  stan . Apart from itma with tommy handly.

I remember going & seeing jane at the queens... A bit of a flop really. it was her last performance , nothing like the mirror portrayed her,  :D
Regards Ron.

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »
Hello Stan.

well that was a blast from the past,  and you've certainly jogged the old memory box , well and truly, as I read you comments, I was immediately  transported back in time ,

how ever they were very good memories, so thanks for reminding me,

many regards to you,

GEORGIAN,

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »
Stan and Ron, you've both jogged the old memory box: Garth, Strange the Terrible, Pip Squeak and Wilfred, And other strip cartoons in newspapers. Not to mention Itma, Variety Bandbox, Billy Cotton, Dick Barton, Sing Something Simple . . . I could go on . . . If I could remember!!
now I'm back to viewing  "Call The Midwife" that's on my TV, where they have the cheek to portray a pie and mash shop run by Warren Clarke, without, would you believe it, marble-topped tables and no Chilli's in the vinegar . . . although otherwise, a pretty good portrayal of the period. What do you think?   

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
Hi john.
I wonder where call the midwife is shot?
I don't think poplar hospital is   their anymore. I don't particular  like the big bird Miranda something or other..
I think she shot her bolt  by trying to be funny in her other program,,
I like a different type of humour . like the comedians .
Where have all the old time comedians gone?
Regards Ron

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
Ron - OOooops...one I left out that was one of my favourites was 'Life with the Lyons'  Ben, Bebe, Richard & Barbara.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:56:04 PM »
Music While You Work, Workers Playtime, The Man In Black, Paul Temple.

« Last Edit: 11 April, 2016, 09:57:04 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline danhicks

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
And of course, Take it From Here. I think that was the show with Jimmy Edwards which featured the regular sketch with his 'son', Ron and his girlfriend, Eth. ("Oooh, Ron." "Yes, Eth?")
I also remember Educating Archie, which featured ventriloquist's dummy Archie Andrews, operated by Peter Brough, I think? What a brilliant ventriloquist - in all those hours of listening to him I never saw his lips move once!

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
What was the show with Wilfred Pickles and Violet Carson where he said "give him the money barney"
Regards Harry.I.

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »
Have a Go!  Didn't a song called 'Have a go Joe' play as it's intro?  By sharing a 'personal secret' with the audience the contestants could win £1-19s-11d - Wow!!!