Author Topic: vernons fields.what were they like before the war, ??  (Read 2079 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
vernons fields.what were they like before the war, ??
« on: 05 April, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

I seem to remember when the was on going to play on Vernon's fields and I remember seeing masses and masses of barbed wire , obviously to protect and defend the artillery guns and soldiers based there ,
but what was it like before the war I hope there are members out there who have a vivid memory to share with us , giving us a mental picture of the fields and it assumed uses before the war started,

I look forward to reading your stories with interest,

many regards o you,

GEORGIAN,

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Re: vernons fields.what were they like before the war, ??
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »
Hi Georgian

If you type Vernons Fields into the search box there are several posts from members about these fields.

Linda

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »
My family came from king George avenue , adjacent to the vernons. but they moved around 1930. So it was a bit before my time .
Although I do remember the dirt track they created from cinders from beckton gasworks.. Allso the flying bomb that killed a lot of squaddies. As mentioned before in Linda's post.
Regards Ron.

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
thank you Linda,

many regards,

GEORGIAN,

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Hi Georgian, I lived in King George Ave which backed onto Vernons. Before the war it was a well kept sports field complete with lovely bowling greens, football pitches, changing rooms & a sports club house. When the clubhouse was destroyed by enemy action the place was abandoned. The bowling green turf cut up & taken away by the locals to improve their lawns.
The barbed wire that you mentioned surrounded the barrage balloon site which was crewed by the ATS, a super group of girls who made a great fuss of us kids. The anti aircraft  battery was sited on what we called the dust chute visible from my house but approx half a mile away.
KenM

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
Hi all like most kids in the Custom House area I often used to go onto the Vernons gaining access from the old Becton Road which was the site of the WW2 gun site .
The huts on that site was taken over by squatters after the war .
The thing I get hard to follow is the story of the V1 landing on that site and killing all those squaddies .
On the Civil Defence bomb map there is no record of a flying bomb marked anywhere in that area .
As I have mentioned before there are a couple of flying bombs marked on this map that I cannot remember falling one is shown at the top of Argyle road and Prince Regents lane and one falling at the Freemasons road end of Jersey road.
Anyone help with these discrepancies ??.
We lived in Varley Road from 1940 to the 1970's and can only remember three falling in that area Churchill road the Moorings and the Gog Public house in Freemasons road.
Two V2's fell one in Prince Regents Lane and one on the Gog Public House Freemasons road.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
HI Harry.
It definitely went down their..in am earlier post I mentioned that  me & my younger brother terry, were over the dump digging as we usually did when it came over we started to run home along the ditch that was adjacent to tollgate  road   school we lived in Barclay rd that is situated right next to the school.
it came from the dump direction it was directly over our head going in the same direction that we were running ,,it was very low. I shouted to my brother to get into the ditch,, but he kept running .  when it got to where the houses were which was where we lived the engine stopped ,,  I dived into the ditch it veared left doing a loop  & came down  just of the old beckton rd  what we were later told  were allotments. & some soldiers had been killed..

We went up to the traffic lights near the lido. & people were standing there talking about it.
While you say you cant find any info about it ..I cant answer that one , but it  is the absolute truth.
I was their ,
Regards Ron.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:47:14 PM »
Hi Ron thanks for your reply I don't doupt for a minute you saw what you saw but the civil defence map appears to have a few discrepancies with its recording of bombs etc that fell in the war for example the Jersey road Flying bomb if it fell in jersey road I would have seen the damage as I would have passed the site on my way to Rosetta road school.
And the one that is shown in Prince Regents lane right near Shipman Road School which was just round the corner from where we lived and again would have seen anyway Ron Thanks for your reply .
Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
I cannot recall any V1 or V2s falling close to King George Ave.
Landmines created huge craters & caused a great deal of damage both in Churchill Rd & Baxter Rd just around the corner where I lived. I went to Shipman Rd school which continued to operate throughout the bombing, I am sure that if a V1 had landed close to the building, classes would have been abandoned for a while.
Yes, there were allotments adjacent to the old Becton Rd but the anti aircraft battery was sited some way away.
If any soldiers had been killed locally, it is very unlikely the my parents would have discussed it in front of me.
KenM.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »
HI H, & ken.
Do you recall ,,or have you any info on the V2. that landed behind tollgate school . on the waste land between the dump & the school sports field ..
its another one I recall vividly , it blew our front open . lucky my mum was washing the floor. & I was standing   aside out of her way waiting to go to school.. just across the rd.. When the front  door blew in . the lock keep flying past me. lucky mum was washing the floor.

I went & had a look  but it was just a crater.

Any info would be helpful,,
Regards Ron

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »
The V2 strike you are referring to was in Maybury Rd on 8th March 1945. The details from the full list are shown below.

]ar. 08, (09.05 hours) - Batt. 3./485 (Art. Reg. 3./902), Den Haag, Wassenaar, V-2 rocket fired, impacted West Ham

There are no recorded deaths from the strike.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
Cheers Biff. But the link is not working.
Regards Ron

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
Sorry Ron it's not a link just a line I pasted from the research I did into V2 strikes in Newham.
The strikes were known as Big Ben Incidents and each incident was given a sequential number
at the time and Maybury Rd was 963.

Unfortunately the maps I plotted are to big to post on the site as they are more detailed than the
Civil Defence maps.

If anyone would like a copy I will happily email them if they PM me via this site.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »
Funny how the link you sent of the  v2 strike on the 8 march 1945 .can take you straight back their , I can still see my dear old mother scrubbing the floor when it happened.

yes biff it was at the end of maybury rd on the allotment .surprisingly it didn't make a very big crater.
regards ron

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
Hi Ron, sorry no info on V2 close to Tollgate school, which was a good walk from where I lived & my parents restricted my movements close to home after an air raid. My uncle who worked on the anti aircraft gun site sometimes managed to provide an early warning of an air raid, I was then told to stay close to our Anderson shelter. I did manage to slip away after some raids for the usual shrapnel search.
KenM.