Author Topic: 1917 Poplar Bombing  (Read 945 times)

Offline RegS

• New to the board
    • View Profile
1917 Poplar Bombing
« on: 02 April, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »
The names are recorded of the 18 children that died in their school being hit during an air raid in June 1917 but what of the others that died in that raid?
In all 104 died in the raid so, is there a list somewhere of the other 86?

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: 1917 Poplar Bombing
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2016, 02:28:55 AM »
One of the children that died in the Upper North Street School bombing on 13th June 1917 is also a distant relative of mine. I originally received an enquiry about her via Ancestry and was subsequently invited to join a closed Facebook group for relatives remembering that occasion.

I have no information on other deaths other than those of the children. I did also search the Commonwealth War Graves site for deaths on that day. There is a long list of names but I am not certain they are related to the Upper North Street incident.

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
http://www.stowmaries.org.uk/news/new-museum-launched-at-stow-maries-great-war-aerodrome-essex

Hi Mick
                  Click onto the above site,there is news about the bombing of  the Poplar School You posted about>My Son and I were over there Sunday,and inside the new museum there is a section that shows a mock up of that event,with Press photos and cuttings. It appears that two bombs hit the school,the first one split in half the second went through the roof and killed one boy on the top floor and carried on to the middle floor killing some girls,it then through to the basement where all the five year old were having their lessons being in a enclosed the bomb went off,causeing terrible deaths to all the todd[ers there. Iam not sure but I think there is a list names of  those who were killed including the grown ups.If ever you are in the Essex area and you have time it is worth a visit.
                     Hope this is some interest to you       Regards      Alf

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »

Alf, many thanks for that information. I have passed it on to Facebook Upper North Street School 1917 group.

Reg, I have also asked the same group if anyone is aware of the other 86 civilian deaths you mentioned and if they have any information on them.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
Reg. The following information has turn up on the 13 June 1917 bombings.

"On June 13th 18 Gothas hit the capital in daylight: 162 were killed and more than 400 injured. Tragically 46 of the dead were children in an infants’ school in Poplar. The raids were deadly because few precautions were taken by civilians – many ran to the streets to observe events – plus the Gotha G.IV could fly too high for the few British fighters kept for home defence to engage them in time."

It would also appear that the bombing raids began in docklands and then moved onto Liverpool Street Station and latterly the Poplar School. It does appear the other fatal casualties were not located in one place but where distributed across air raid areas of London.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
I remember that where we lived in scot street canning town right opposite our house was a debris this being around 1937 I assume it was the outcome of the Botha raids in the first world war.????? anyone have any answers to this.
Regards H Isles