Author Topic: Family Characters  (Read 1090 times)

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Family Characters
« on: 10 March, 2016, 12:06:31 PM »
After reading about Ron's granddad on a previous post it made me wonder if other members have any stories about their relatives who were living in East/West Ham.

My great grandmother Kate King (nee Murphy) was born and died in East Ham. She used to like to have a bet on the horses but in those days gambling was illegal. So gran used to give her bet and money to her granddaughter who used to take it to the bookies runner who would be waiting on the corner of the road.

She also liked her glass of milk stout and several times a week would walk to the Drum and Monkey Pub in Vicarage Lane, East Ham where she'd sit in the snug.

She was a lovely lady and a real character and when she died at the age of 88 was sadly missed by us all.

Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: Family Characters
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
Linda
I had previously started a thread regarding my Uncle, Will Payne, under the "Famous Faces and Local Characters" section  but, as you have raised, the question I have decided to comment here as well. For 75 years my uncle was a member of The Salvation Army based in Wakefield Street East Ham and became quite a familiar sight as he cycled everywhere until a couple of months before he passed away at the age of 92 in July 2004. Even at that age he would collect pensions etc. for the old people who may well have been considerably younger.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
Thank you Doug for reminding us of your uncle Will Payne. What an amazing man he must have been, especially still cycling up until a short while before he passed away, and for the kindness he showed to others.

By the way did you see the post under your thread on Famous Faces and Local Characters about him. It was on the 28th February and the person knew your uncle.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
Linda
I did send a personal message to the person (Paula?) But have not, as yet, received a response.
Doug

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »
This was a photograph of my dad I found amongst his effects after he passed away. I remembered seeing this picture as a tot.

I know it was taken in India and guessing my dad's age at the time I reckon it was probably taken in the late 1920's. I did also find some location shots of army camps mostly bell tents also taken in India but unfortunately they have no details on the back of them. Them bottom one is obviously his outfit bathing while out "in the field" as it were and I recognise the person sitting in the river 2nd from the right as my father. Strangely though, my father never to me once anything about his life which I always regreted.

« Last Edit: 10 March, 2016, 04:29:46 PM by MickG »

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
Thank you Mick for sharing the photo's of your dad in India.

My dad used to tell us lots of stories about  about family members but he never spoke about his time in the army when he was in North Africa. I used to jot down these stories and have found these notes very helpful during my family research.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
Its a hundred years ago that my dad got kneecapped in the first world  .here  he is in a field hospital in france  in 1916

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
. My mother Mary Sherlock age 14. & her mother Bridget  Sherlock. Taken about 1908.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »
Thank you Ron for sharing your family photo's with us.

The one of your mother and grandmother has helped me date a family photo I have as your grandmother is wearing a similar outfit to the one in my photo.