Author Topic: Future of Boleyn  (Read 2649 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Future of Boleyn
« on: 08 March, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
Hi All, with the Hammers moving to Stratford, what is going to become of the Boleyn?
Surely it cannot survive as a pub without regular Saturday match drinkers.
More flats comes to mind, but I do hope that they can retain that lovely facade.
KenM

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Future of Boleyn
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »
HI Ken.
it will probably end up like all the rest of the London pubs, demolished in the name of  progress.
Regards Ron.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »
The sad thing is that as much alcohol is still consumed as it ever was with the increasing of alcohol licences to every shop and supermarket, and any tinpot restaurant, and the law making brewers reduce their pub estates, all which were another nail in the coffin to pubs. Add to that TV, breath tests, the booze cruises to France. And that's the result . . . a few very large brewers at home and abroad and umpteen thousands micro-breweries, and there you have it indoor consumption. The tons of tins and bottles you see waiting for recycling outside houses week after week for dustmen/binmen/refuse collectors. The remaining pubs rely on food, and music venues for the younger generation. Just observe supermarket trolleys there's more booze than bread in some peoples trolleys.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »
Having a social drink with friends & football fans in the Boleyn on the Hammers home games, was all part of the Saturday experience. Upton Park without the Boleyn will be a sad loss.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
When the 'Hammers' won the FA Cup in 1964, I thought that I would pop down to the 'Boleyn'  and join in the celebrations. Was I in for a shock. I could just manage to get in the door, but had no chance of getting to the bar to buy a drink. The crowd was tremendous, with the pavements completely blocked with people. Becouse of the crush, it was very difficult getting near the pub, and just as difficult leaving the vacinity. The crowd was so happy, it was unbelievable. As the history of the Boleyn ground comes to an end, we can say that we will not see the like of that night ever again.

Tony Quinlan

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:26:40 AM »
When West Ham move to The Olympic Stadium next season they are opening a bar at the ground and naming it 'The Boleyn'

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
Tony,
       Yep , heard about that last year , not quite what it seems though, I was told you have to have enhanced season ticket membership , not walkin off the street like the original , now one of the Essex Pubs that has a big Hammers memrobilia in it used to be The Traitors Gate in Downtown Grays opposite Globe Industrial Estate , and Paul the Guvn'or is a massive Irons fan, without seeing the new Pub ,perhaps a bit suspect to comment though.
Also what about the Stadium Cafe' ,understand it's to be called Cassetari's , same as the old'un on Barking Rd. I understand from last year that the Family were not consulted, surely that's not on . I await further updates .

All the best Ed

Tony Quinlan

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:42:13 PM »
Lovely old pic of Phil Cassetari at the cafe with a bunch of ex hammers taken in 1971
Sadly, nobody in the pic is still alive.

http://www.mirror-photos.co.uk/hammers-tea-party-1971/print/11521469.html
« Last Edit: 10 March, 2016, 11:47:20 PM by Tony Quinlan »

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6938030/West-Ham-pubs-announce-theyll-ferry-punters-from-the-Boleyn-Ground-to-Olympic-Stadium-next-year.html

Hi.Ed,Ken,Tony,Ron.
                                  The following is a copy of the notice on the wall of the Boleyn

WEST HAM F.C
            AS YOU ALL KNOW WEST HAM ARE MOVING TO THE OLIMPIC PARK STADIUM FOR 2016
            SEASON. WE WANT TO KEEP THE SPRIT OF THE BOLEYN PUB GOING.,SO  WE ARE
            OFFERING AN ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP THAT WILL PROVIDE TRANSPORT FROM THE
            BOLEYN TO STRAFORD  FOR EVERY HOME GAME

YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE BAR DISCOUNTS ON EVERY HOME AND AWAY GAMESE
             TO FIND OUT MORE,OR TO SIGN UP FOR MEMBERSHIP, CALL US,OR SPEAK TO ONE
             OF OUR BAR STAFF

£120  PER YEAR.

As the Sun says it is only about 3 miles to Stratford, but it could take hours
              unless the coaches have toilets on board

Regards   Alf

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2016, 03:41:03 PM »
HI Alf.. its a good ruse to keep the fans drinking in the Boleyn.
The price of tickets now its a wonder anyone can afford  to drink. :-\

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
I've just Googled East Ham Working Men's Club at it appears that they benefited from drinkers at home games and will suffer when WHFC moved to Stratford. Working men's clubs are in decline everywhere it seems. West Ham's club at Trinity Church was demolished some time ago. The only other club appear to be Leyton House in Chandos Road. So it appears it's not just pubs closing.
« Last Edit: 13 March, 2016, 04:32:44 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline Nels

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
Also ,the suppporters club in Casle st.will close
I don't know if any provision has been made for that at Stratford

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
When the Hammers move to the Olympic Park, what will be the designated name for the ground?  It is 'Upton Park' at the moment. Is this name to be carried over, or will it be the 'Olympic Park'?

Offline riggulden

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »
Hi ALANF
You are dead right about 64 Fa cup night at Boleyn. I was 15 and went with a mates Riotous !
Until I saw your post I was starting to think it never happened and I imagined it all,

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 April, 2016, 10:07:54 PM »
Didn't go to the 64 F.A. Cup night at the Boleyn as mentioned , but I went to the Watford game last night , and had a swift couple in there and that was lively and noisy,so fear not atmosphere still there  .

All the best  Ed