Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Diane

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Introducing myself
« on: 06 March, 2016, 05:20:19 PM »
My name is Diane and I have joined on behalf on my mum, Jean Allen as was, she used to live on Jersey Road. Her mum was Dorothy Allen and she was called Doll. My mum recently mentioned a tabernacle on Barking Road but no other detail. If anyone has any information I would be very pleased. Diane

Offline Maureen Day

• Helpful user
  • You have to be a friend to have a friend
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
Welcome Diane,
There was a Tabernacle in Barking Rd nr the Abbey Arms, I believe it is still there.
I went to Shipman Rd School and seem to remember the name Allen.
Others here that know Jersey Rd better than I may help you more.
Enjoy being with us Diane.
Regards
Maureen

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2016, 10:45:41 PM »
Hello Diane, Welcome to you and your mum.

The following is an extract from the Newham Story website about the Barking Road Tabernacle. There is a picture of it too.

http://www.newhamstory.com/node/2438 (http://www.newhamstory.com/node/2438)

"West Ham Central Mission, seen here shortly after opening in 1922. Designed by W. Hayne, it is of red brick and stone in an elaborate Byzantine style with two domed towers.

The Mission sprang from the Mount Zion chapel in the Barking Road, formed in 1863. Its membership rapidly increased and in 1876, under R.H. Gillespie (1873-89) a new building, the Barking Road Tabernacle was erected with the aid of £1,000 from James Duncan, a Silvertown Sugar refiner and philanthropist. After Gillespie's departure the Tabernacle, burdened with debt, was almost forced to close but Robert Rowntree Clifford, who became pastor in 1897, immediately revived and soon transformed it. By 1900 the debt was cleared, 139 new members had been added, and there was a new Sunday school of 500. The intervening years saw much growth and as early as 1907 a larger church and mission premises were being planned. These were completed in 1922 on the current site in Barking Road, at a cost of £68,000 - becoming West Ham Central Mission. In 1916 Marnham House Settlement was built to house the staff of full-time deaconesses. Much work was done at a social level as the mission remained in touch with the social needs of the area - particularly unemployment.  The basement of the Children's Church was converted into an air-raid shelter and became a community centre for this heavily bombed area. Membership of WHCM peaked at over 1,000 in during the 1930s. Post war declined in church-going meant that the number had fallen to about 347 by 1966."

Offline Pamela Cross

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »
Hello Diane, I can't really add much to this topic, apart from saying that during the late forties and early fifties, during school holidays, my Nan (Alice Newton) occasionally used to take me to the tabernacle and I thought it a wonderful place. From memory, there was a balcony upstairs with seating all around. I have no idea about the services, I just loved going there. It was only a few years ago that I found out it was a Baptist church, and not as I'd always thought going by the name, a Jewish one. Having visited a Baptist church in the Yorkshire Dales two years ago, it had the same feel, and if I lived in that village, I'm sure I would be happy to attend services there. Pam.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
I remember the Tabernacle from a very early age. I must have been 6 or 7 when I started to attend Sunday School there. I spent every Sunday afternoon there until I was about 10, when I was moved to the senior boys at WHCM.  I remember having an attendance book, which was stamped with a star for each week of attendance. You had to have so many attendance stars to qualify for the annual outing, usualy to Southend or Jaywick. The Sunday Schools were very well attended, a sight never to be repeated.
This would have been during the late 40's to early 50's.

Offline Jenny White

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Hello Diane.  I knew your family from Jersey Road as we lived at no 61.  My Mum, Beat Wihite, was a friend of Doll Allen and I can remember her face and that of her daughter.  As I was a little girl I would speak respectfully to 'Auntie Doll' and I recall she was a very kind and gentle lady with long hair going grey.  We moved out of Jersey Road in 1967, a year after my Mum sadly died. I lived with my Dad in Stubbs Point at the Abbey Arms until I married in 1975.  I do remember the Tabernacle and if I'm not mistaken it was just past the Abbey Arms pub, along Barking Road going towards the Green Gate.  Not much help to you but nice, I hope, to make contact with someone who knew the Allen family.  Best wishes.

Offline Ken P

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2016, 06:57:29 AM »
Hello Diane.

I wonder if your mum remembers my family from Jesrsey Road. I am the son of Yvonne Tillson, and Grandson of Daisy and George who owned the corner shop in Jersey Road. My mums sister Chris lived across from the shop with her husband Stanley Doyle and her children Stanley, Christine and Janet...

My uncle Ken who I am named after, was a ballet dancer (caused me some grief growing up I can tell you!)

I have hundreds of photos from back then, including a 1966 street party film but can't get them on here sadly......