Author Topic: Custom House Christmas Wedding 1919  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Juliet2014

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Custom House Christmas Wedding 1919
« on: 28 February, 2016, 09:31:01 PM »
I'm looking for information or, and this is a long shot, photos, of a mass wedding of 14 couples that look place at St. Luke's Church on Christmas Day 1919. My great, great aunt, Florence Dimmick, would have been one of the brides. Has anyone heard of this?

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Custom House Christmas Wedding 1919
« Reply #1 on: 29 February, 2016, 12:44:29 AM »
Juliet,

I looked on Ancestry and your relative is in a number of family trees including the date of her marriage at St Luke's. Unfortunately there are no wedding photographs attached. There are images of census information and inward/outward bound passenger lists on various trips she made to Rhodesia/South Africa.

Offline DEREKSTEVENS

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
Hi. Florence May Dimmick was my Grandmothers younger sister she married Joseph Charles Wheaton 25/12/1919. I have done quite a bit of research into the Dimmick family and I do have some photos of Florence, one when she was a child with her family and a couple when she was older but no wedding photos.
DEREK.

Offline Juliet2014

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2016, 01:17:09 AM »
Well, hello there, distant relative! Are you on Ancestry.com? I think I recognize your name, as it had come up with their "hints." I've been able to find census, travel and other assorted information about the family, but this event interests me from a history perspective.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
Juliet

It was quite commom to have many marriages on Christmas day 100 years ago. Looking at records, most Churches were packed out on Christmas day. They were not all married at the same time, but one couple after the other. Some Churches must have been quite hectic at this time. I have come across records where 26 couples were married on this day.Why Christmas Day? I think that this may be some thing to do with some years before, that was one of the few days that poor people were not working.

Offline Juliet2014

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2016, 09:27:01 PM »
I didn't realize that, but it makes so much sense! I had actually noticed some of my other ancestors were either married or baptized at Christmas also but is never occurred to me why that would be. Thanks!

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
Juliet
Further to my last, when Boxing Day became a public holiday in 1871, this day also became popular for weddings and Baptism's.
An Aunt of mine married at the same St Luke's Church in 1910 on this day.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
  • Orignally from Hornchurch. Have East End ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2018, 07:50:24 AM »
My grandparents were married Christmas Day at St Cedd's in 1932 and Nan's parents married Christmas Day as well.