Author Topic: Mr Marten's Travels in East Anglia, ed. Elizabeth Larby  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Liz Larby

• View Profile
Mr Marten's Travels in East Anglia, ed. Elizabeth Larby
« on: 02 February, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
This little book gives a fascinating glimpse into the Georgian world through the eyes of diarist Robert Marten from his home town of Plaistow to Norfolk in 1825, the first great age of travel.  A biography of the diarist provides good background historical information on the Marten family and their lives in Plaistow including Robert's efforts to help the resident poor by providing soup kitchens to nourish their bodies and a chapel to feed their souls.  Robert settled in the rural village of Plaistow in 1807, commuting to London each day by horse drawn carriage,  occupying the grandest house on the block, Broadway House, and became a well known local figure through his philanthropy.
http://www.poppyland.co.uk/s/NORDOCS

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Mr Marten's Travels in East Anglia, ed. Elizabeth Larby
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »
Hi Liz.. I wonder where he lived in Plaistow?
Regards Ron.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  Liz,

Thank you for your interesting post and video about the diarist and philanthropist Robert Marten. It sounds as if he carried out some good works helping the poor in Plaistow. I wonder if you could give us further information on his life and works and the Chapel he provided.

Best Wishes
Linda

Offline Liz Larby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:50:26 PM »
Broadway House was purchased by Robert Marten in 1806.  It was the largest house in the village and stood on the Broadway.  It is later listed as a home for destitute girls and was demolished in 1882.  Robert was born in New Broad Street, London in 1763.  He worked first as a clerk, then joined Smith & St Barbe ship insurers where he later became a partner. He purchased a plot of land for building a chapel in North Street in 1807 for Independent and Baptist dissenters. He was its first deacon, an office he held till his death in 1839.  He revived and supervised a sunday school and often conducted prayer meetings himself.  In 1820 he was appointed overseer of the poor and set about improving the water quality for inmates as well as introducing religious instruction.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »
Thank you Liz for the further information on Robert Marten. I noticed on the Search the Story Section on the Newham Story that there is a mention of a Robert Humphrey Marten who I presume is the same person.

I would imagine that Newham Archives would be interested in knowing more about his life. They can be reached at Stratford Library if you should want to contact them. The telephone number is 020 3373 6881 and they are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays and some Saturdays.

Linda

Offline Liz Larby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
The Marten in the Newham Story listed with those who founded the Chapel is the same Robert Marten who wrote the diary.  I have tried several times to register with the site to post info. about the diary but cant seem to get authorisation for some reason.  Good point about Newham archives too, I last contacted them in 2013 suggesting that the book would make an interesting addition to their local studies section but did not receive a reply.  Thanks for your interest though, at least a few people have now heard about it through this forum!
Liz