Author Topic: Find my Past Records  (Read 2835 times)

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Find my Past Records
« on: 22 January, 2016, 10:29:15 AM »
Just to tell everyone interested in Family History that Find My Past have free access to their records from 12pm today the 22nd Jan  until 12pm 25th January.

Best Wishes
Linda
« Last Edit: 22 January, 2016, 11:19:08 AM by linda co »

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Find my Past Records
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »
Thanks Linda.
Regards Ron

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
You'll need to, or be registered.

I'm trying to find how you contact other researchers on FMP.  Can anyone help?

Preview of the national identity card registration of 1939 is a little help.
« Last Edit: 22 January, 2016, 09:43:41 PM by Rogier »
Family historian researching: Allum, Bozier Burrows, French, Goldfinch, Myer Poague, Tyers, Ellis and looking for pictures of Star Street, Scott Street and the early Burke Street

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2016, 08:41:31 AM »
Registration is free and once done you can look up the records.

I'm not sure about contacting other researchers on Find my Past Rogier. But when I was checking a death record on there last night there was an e mail address at the bottom of the document for a gentleman with the same name as I am researching. I intend to contact him in the hope we can share information.

Regards
Linda

Offline Ken P

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »
Well......that opened up and avenue that I NEVER expected!

Having been certain that we had lived in Newham forever, I discovered that my roots are in the next village to me (three miles)......in.....

NORFOLK!

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2016, 10:48:38 PM »
I also found my roots in Twyford, Norfolk 

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2016, 01:47:20 AM »
Depending how far back you are able to trace your Ancestry, very few Newhammers will find their roots in Newham or even London.

Prior to about 1800's what is now Newham was little more than a collection of villages and hamlets. London itself was quite small by todays standards. It was the Industrial Revolution with its insatiable demand for labour that drew people in from the countryside in hordes.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2016, 08:22:10 AM »
I am able to trace my Fathers family back to the 17th century, centered in the Essex village of Orsett. I can trace my Mothers family, again, back to the 17th century, but always in East London. Living in the Spitalfields area, then slowly moving over the years Eastwards into Newham. This was mirrored by my Fathers family also moving into Newham in the mid 19th century.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
I have also found my families coming from Cambridge, Newport in Essex, Gibraltar and possibly Heugenots from France (although I haven't been able to prove it yet).

Through family research I have also discovered some information that probably wasn't known to the family but my lips are sealed!

Linda

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
I've found it useful to pay attention to [in my case, at least] to people's second Christian names. I found a Norfolk connection using a very unusual second Christian name of my father which turned out to be my gg/gran's family surname in Norfolk. I'm now  tracing my mum's second Christian name through my nan's maiden name. Another useful clue is when people have got names  we associate with places. Darlington as a Christian name for instance, which I would have thought was more a surname. All these were in the early eighteen hundreds of course which might have been quite normal in those days.
« Last Edit: 31 January, 2016, 12:00:26 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
Another useful point with a persons second Christian name is it could also be the surname of the persons alleged father. In the past many mothers never married but lived their lives with what was known as a common law partner. However there are cases where a person would not admit to being the father of a child but the mother gave that persons surname as the child's second name. In some ways it was a form of revenge and in many cases it was so the child would always know who their father was.

The mothers maiden name was also often given as a child's second name as a way of preserving her family name.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
Thanks Mick, that's a useful point to remember.
Although I do have doubts over how different sites do research. In the early release in 2008 of 1911 census my mum's family lived in Rich Street, Limehouse, [an address stated in an Old Bailey case in 1898], but in the official release in 2015 the identical details were shown as a completely different street in Mile End.  In the first instance an "Fl" appeared as a Fr, understandable, and on official 2015 release Fl was correct, but they mistook two letter E's as a "U".
Not a great problem as everything else on both releases was identical . . . except they must have moved out very quickly that day/night to Mile End and got entered again in a second home.
I somehow can't believe that . . . although he did have a horse and cart?  :)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
I cant seem t get past 1740 . I know my mum came from Ireland. & it seems that on my dads side they disapeared into Ireland as well, Although my surname is not irish it has never been proved where it came from.
The nearest I can get is that it was old  norse  for a man who wears cloakes.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
I did have a look at the Family Search Organisation, (Latter Day Saints) for records containing the surname Copus. The LDS records are quite comprehensive and the earliest record that have with that surname is a John Copus who was at his daughters christening in Ham, Kent in 1635. There are records for earlier possible variants of the name in the 1500's which is as far back as most people are likely to be able to trace as church records only started to come into being under Thomas Cromwell in 1538. Most of these original records however were on scrolls of parchment most of which have since become lost or destroyed.

Earlier than that and we are touching on the end of the Medieval period where many people just had a first name like William of Nottingham and so on.

https://familysearch.org/search/
« Last Edit: 31 January, 2016, 10:06:39 PM by MickG »

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »
Hi Mick. thanks for the info.
Many thanks ,
Regards Ron.