Author Topic: The Spotted Dog pub in North Woolwich  (Read 1210 times)

Offline john rolls

• New to the board
    • View Profile
The Spotted Dog pub in North Woolwich
« on: 21 January, 2016, 10:45:06 PM »
has anyone got any information on this very old pub. Long since gone, but I'm sure someone knows something. it's not even listed on Newhams pubs, but believe me it was down the side of Claremont close.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Re: The Spotted Dog pub in North Woolwich
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Hello John

I found some old history of publicans at the Spotted Dog, Storey Street dating from 1872/1836 on the following website. It didn't mention Claremont Close so this might not be the same one.  http://pubshistory.com/EssexPubs/NorthWoolwich

Best Wishes
Linda

« Last Edit: 23 January, 2016, 11:41:31 AM by linda co »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »
I looked on the "Pubology" website and it indicates that The Spotted Dog existed from 1872 to 1896 and the owners were Phillips and Co. The address of the pub is shown as 7 Sharman Place but later Storey Street - It could have been changed as the area was developed in those times.

Offline jplant1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Very late response but I have only just learned this. John Andrew Larkins, one of the landlords listed for this pub, was the grandfather of a cousin of mine. It seems he lost the place after a Thames flood destroyed £600 worth of stock. He died 1896 in the West Ham Workhouse, Leytonstone.

After the pub was demolished, it seems one wall survived for decades.