Author Topic: Eastenders  (Read 4234 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Eastenders
« on: 01 January, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
OK This is only slightly Newham related in that it has an E20 postcode but I shared Christmas Day with 11 friends all of whom originated from Canning Town or Poplar. A couple of the friends do not live in the UK now and wanted to watch Eastenders despite being told by everyone else that it bore no resemblance to life in the East End or Newham. Having watched and endured the episode I think everyone was glad that we had got out of the East End. Does anyone think that the show bears any resemblance to the East End that we knew?

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Eastenders
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »
No comparison. Although Danny dyer one of the stars I think comes from canning town.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »
I didn't see this episode of East Enders and from your comments perhaps I was fortunate. I gave up watching soap operas years ago after seeing the first episode of Coronation Street. One dose of Ena Sharples was enough for me.

As a firefighter, I did however watch the first two episodes of London's Burning and found them cringeworthy to say the least, as they bore no reality to the Brigade I worked in, I never watched it again except for one episode years later. That however has a very creepy story attached to it which I must tell the board about sometime.

The London's Burning series was filmed at the old Dockhead Fire Station which sadly has just been demolished. On a change of political administration I heard that Valerie Shorecross was appointed the new chair of the London Fire and Civil Defence Authority. She paid a visit to Dockhead and apparently wondered why there was a load of cars parked in the station yard as the TV series showed everyone living close by. She was advised that most firefighters did not live in London.

I think what this all tends to show is the area, characters and way of life in soap operas are as the TV producers imagine they should be and not as they really are.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:51:44 PM »
As someone who lived in canning town and Custom House up until 1970 I can honestly say that I have never heard anything at all or seen anything coming anywhere near the yelling and shouting and snarling that goes on Eastenders at any time during those years .
Mind you I think the could write better stories about some of the charactors that  lived in these areas.
There are some in my family who watch all the soaps and say they appear to have the same writer story lines seem to be the same.
Still live and let live it pleases some people.
Regards Harry .I.

Offline PhyllisGirton

• New to the board
    • View Profile
    • Dissertation writing service UK
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
I didnt see this. Anyways thanks for the share.
Dissertation writing service UK (http://www.essayscampus.com/Dissertation-Writing-Services)

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
" cor blimey gal yer didn't miss much " watched it early series with ' Arfur Fowler ' and the allotment and dirty Den and Ange , but then I decided I needed to get out more , and now in my 70,s watch Emmerdale and Corrie how sad am I .
Was in Barking and Dagenham couple of days ago and got into a n abusive change of views over a Parking space outside a Launderette with a younger lady, kicked off very loud then after a while she calmed down and when I thought everything was done and dusted she accused my missus of talking posh not me her , well she was born in Hackney and lived in Barking for many years she doesn't drop her 'h's and talks 'properrr ' but it don't make her a bad person , Ahhh

Happy new year Posters      Ed

p.s. on a posh point I wasn't using the Launderette .

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Ed I just can't imagine Mrs Marilyn Styles talking anyway other than proper!
Dougt

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
Bless you Doug give my regards to Bro Rog   

Ed

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:06:56 PM »
I really don't know why anyone goes in the pub in Eastenders. It must be the most
miserable pub in history. Nobody ever tells a joke or talks about last nights or sport
or any of the other dozens of things that normal people talk about in a pub.

I am not an avid watcher more of a silent sufferer but does anyone in Eastenders actually
go to work like most of the population of this country do?

Does anyone own a washing machine or do they all go to the Laundrette?

Does anyone even own a kettle or do they all buy tea from the café?

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »
London's Burning did have at least one east Londoner Glen Murphy.  He lives in ?????  now. Just a well, really. The Bridge House pub has been demolished so I understand.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:06:17 AM »
I believe he lived in Rainham Essex by the traffic lights in Upminster road north for a while Glen Murphy that is.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »
It is as true to life as it is entaining. An absolute zero on both counts.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Bang on Bob!!!!!
Regards Harry.I.

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
Hello All,
  Haven't watched any soaps for a long time now. l used to watch Corrie and East Enders back when they were only on once or twice a week, but it seems that in order to produce programmes nearly every night [twice a night sometimes] the storylines became so watered down or stretched, they became boring and they all seemed to follow much the same ideas. Many of the actors and actresses have swapped between shows too. Apart from that, one of the reasons l gave up was, as harry says, there's a lot of shouting and arguing goes on. Perhaps that's how it is in the East End nowadays, but it wasn't when l was young. Another thing is, l don't like the way the youngsters talk to parents and adults. Many moons ago, if l spoke like that to anyone, it would probably be a swift wallop round the ear, and if l told mum l'd probably get another one off of her!! 

Offline nemoscenic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
What a 'bleed'n shame,there's poor little Stacie acting her socks off at the moment !!
and I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with some award come the the Bafta's or some soap best actress ??
and I'm like most people who say,'no never watch that rubbish' mmm?
Oh yeah! and Perry Fenwick is out of Ripley Rd..play the music  Vic