Author Topic: Verification for new users  (Read 1400 times)

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Verification for new users
« on: 29 December, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »
I have 're-registered with the Forum after a problem with my e mail address. Each time I post I am asked to complete a verification task which consists of several questions. One of which is a series of letters that are very hard to read and you have to keep asking for new letters till you get a line that is legible. This must be a new idea as I never had to do this before. It makes me wonder if this is putting off new posters replying and adding new topics as it certainly is annoying.

Linda

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Verification for new users
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
I do not see these anti-spam measures when I log in but I can understand why they are there. The verification task is designed to ensure that it is a human being that is trying to log into the board. There are automated computer programs designed to do nothing else but scour the internet and where possible, automatically leave spam messages if they can. The difficult to read characters or numbers cannot be read by the automated programs and they are therefore unable to login.

These measures will not stop a person determined to do they same thing but at least it should help minimise some of the nonsense messages we have been getting on this board. I suspect once a person becomes a regular user of the board these measures will no longer appear to them.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
I do not see these "codes" when I log in to the Newham site but have encountered them on other sites which perhaps I use infrequently. Yes it can be a pain telling upper and lower case apart a also 5 and S, 1 and l and 0 and O but as Mick says it may reduce/eliminate the rubbish postings that have been on the site. Just hope it does deter "bona-fide" members from contributing.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
Thank you Mick and Doug I hadn't realised about the automated programmes but did wonder if it was designed to stop the spammers. It's a shame though if it deters the genuine posters though.

Having said all that the verification has now disappeared so you are right Mick it's only there for the first few posts.

Linda

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
You can avoid logging in all the time linda.. by putting a shortcut on your desktop. & enter that way.
Regards Ron.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
Thank you for that tip Ron, I'll give that a try.

Regards
Linda