Author Topic: The 1939 National Identity Card Register. West Ham not yet transcribed?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Hi all
Just tried to check my grandparents, born in the district around 1902 so should be there but are not. My dad also should be there.  Died in 2000.

Anyone else tried looking for their ancestors in West Ham and not having luck with this site?

Scroll down two thirds for start:

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/watch-1436591498.html
« Last Edit: 06 November, 2015, 04:19:50 PM by Rogier »
Family historian researching: Allum, Bozier Burrows, French, Goldfinch, Myer Poague, Tyers, Ellis and looking for pictures of Star Street, Scott Street and the early Burke Street

Offline Andy C

• Lived in Liverpool Road from 1948 to 1977.
    • View Profile
Re: The 1939 National Identity Card Register. West Ham not yet transcribed?
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
Rogier, I have used the new records to find both my parents, who lived in West Ham at the time the survey was carried out, both are there. So it looks like West Ham has been included.

Andy

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »
'East Ham' did the trick but I can only bring up grandmother.
« Last Edit: 06 November, 2015, 08:56:07 PM by Rogier »
Family historian researching: Allum, Bozier Burrows, French, Goldfinch, Myer Poague, Tyers, Ellis and looking for pictures of Star Street, Scott Street and the early Burke Street

Offline Andy C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
Rogier, I used,  Essex, but when the register is displayed it shows, West Ham C.B, Essex, England.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
Thanks Andy

Oh no!  It wants me to spend £7 just to look at one household.  If I cannot bring up all the family members individually, then I might be throwing money away.  Also, all the members are dead so there should not be any blocks to family members.

Lastly birth year of my grandmother is out by 4 years!
« Last Edit: 06 November, 2015, 09:19:47 PM by Rogier »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2015, 01:47:06 AM »
I have been reading comments on genealogy sites of what seems an extreme pay as you view pricing policy for viewing this register. Someone quoted either $11 US or Canadian dollars per record. I don't know if the 100 year rule applies to this register as it does for census information.

As much as I would like to see this register, I certainly will not being paying that sort of price. A similar thing happened when the 1911 census but it was not long before the exclusivity agreements expired and it then appeared on most genealogy sites after that. I have a worldwide subscription for Ancestry so I will just bide my time after which I can view all at leisure at no extra cost other than my annual subscription fee.

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2015, 10:50:59 AM »
Sounds wise Mick, especially when you cannot be sure that it's your ancestors you are looking at.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
Like most genealogical researchers I learned a long time ago using pay-as-you-view sites very expensive.

All to often the people you are looking for are not where you might expect to find them. Frequently it is necessary to look at a list of people for elimination purposes and you get charged every time you look at a record. At least with Ancestry I can research to my hearts content at no extra charge.

Offline Andy C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
Could not agree more Mick, these new records are too expensive and the initial basic information provided tempts you to go further at cost. As subscriber of Find My Past
I received a discount on my first searches but now have to pay full price for further down loads. To reduce the temptation to go to the wrong information, I have found that searching, using the normal search facility brings up the 1939 register in its listings and makes it easier to coordinate dates and locations.
These records are subject to the 100 year restriction so that any relative born after October 1915 are classed as "Officially Closed" although once the 100 year date is passed they should be included.

Andy

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
Any links please Andy?  I cannot find anyway of circumventing FMP.

Offline Andy C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »
Rogier, the only suggestion I have is on the 1939 search page is to use the advanced search, then change the search to address.,  if you have an idea where your relatives lived. It then provides a listing of each property, tapping on preview gives the name of the occupier without having to pay.

Good luck. Andy

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
Thanks Andy, I've found one relation by this technique.  But bizarrely, 82 Mary Street has four entries for two people!  And just like Scott St, it starts with entries that don't have a house number.

Also found my Allum family.  Spelt Alburn!  Used wildcards!  Everything else matches including living in East Ham, which confirms what I was told.

Transcription error I suppose.

Still feel loathed to part with £7 just to find out where they were living in 1939 and what job my grandfather was doing.  Where do nice benefactors with surplus credit for FMP hang out?!
« Last Edit: 07 November, 2015, 11:00:12 PM by Rogier »