Author Topic: Use It Or Lose It  (Read 2546 times)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Use It Or Lose It
« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
In January I wished mick a belated birthday wish , as it was also my birthday in January,, It  was completely ignored ..he decided to jump over my post & answer someone else ..So I have not posted since , & deleted the post .I will not post  in the future.. No point if you are going to be ignored..
Ron,

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
Ron, My sincerest apologies for not wishing you happy birthday, it certainly was not deliberate, that is simply not my way. The only thing I can assume is I saw your message, filed in away in my mind as something to do later amidst probably many other things I might have been doing at the time and simply forgot to get back to you. I don't know what else to say other than play the age/memory card.

Once again Ron, my deepest apologies.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 April, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
It is quire interesting to look at the Membership List for the site which extends to 157 pages at 30 members per page so in excess of 4700 members. 1 member (Mick G) has posted over 1300 times and then there are 2 members with over 800 postings each, followed by 3 with over 700. 1 Member has made over 500 postings, 4 members over 400, 3 over 300 and 8 over 200. There are the 50 members who have made between 50 and 199 Postings. At the other end of the list there are 118 pages listing over 3500 members who have not made a single post between them. The remaining 30 or so pages list those members who have made between 1 and 49 postings with the vast majority being in single figures.
It probably proves that most peoples' interest wanes after a short while and I guess that this also happens with the Facebook Groups which some of us, myself included, now belong to and contribute to.
Perhaps us oldies have exhausted our memories, perhaps the site needs to be publicised more, do memories only occur once you reach a certain age?  Has the living in Newham now got to the stage where residence is seen as "Temporary" and no one stays long enough have memories?
So far as the current situation is concerned I did try to post a photograph of East ham Railway Sidings in the 1950s showing the lines going behind Shakespeare Crescent to St Pancras and also a train in the sidings at the old Underground Depot but the site would not allow me to post the photo even after reducing it to the required size.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »
Hello Doug, As usual your posts can hit a lot of nails on the head and you can be quite profound in your insight. One thing I think you are right about is people as a whole tend to be much more mobile than our forefathers, or possibly even ourselves in not necessarily laying down long-term roots in any particular location. Upwardly mobile I think the phrase is.

I suppose in term of individual memories, a lot depends where each of us are on the timeline of history. I know for myself being born just after the end of WW2 and for many others born around that sort of time, many of us were conditioned in our childhood by our elders wartime experiences. However one could hardly blame what is now called the millennial generation born between 1981-1986 to necessarily have the same sorts of memories or interests. It is sometimes difficult to appreciate that generation are now fully fledged adults with their own families, careers and aspirations. They are no better or worse than preceding generations, simply the next generational link in the chain.

I suppose history and consequential memories are something like a sliding scale. While 'ancient' history is probably the same to all generations, for many of the younger generations, our wartime(ish) memories, through the 1950's and Beatles eras must seem really old hat to them, just as our parents talking about things like 'The black-bottom' dance or 'Flapper Girls' may have seemed to us. Millennial generation history may seem newish to many of us, but to that generation it is rightly now their past history, the sort of history they have personal knowledge of and can relate to. I think that probably some of us have to appreciate that a time-shift has now occurred. I for one would welcome contributions of more recent history on this board. I for one have often said that Today, Tomorrow, is history.

I find it disappointing that photographs still cannot be added to the board unless fed via another website which is how I put my pictures on. My guess is that when the board was restored it was done in a hurry, and many of the electronic links necessary to make it fully function properly were overlooked. It does sometimes make one wonder just how important to Newham this board is, or not.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
Ron,
      We have all enjoyed Mick's contribution to the forum over the years , also your own, don't remember much about this posting but I'm sure it was an oversight , having over the years been guilty of thr same thing even by being ignored by the moderators  ( off with their heads ) . On a lighter note my Birthday is 11 May in case anybody is interested .
Happy days 
All the best Ed

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: Use It Or Lose It & Happy Birthday Mr Styles
« Reply #20 on: 11 May, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
Happy Birthday Ed.

"Roses are red, Violets are Blue, I laugh like hell, Because I'm younger than you"

Hope you are having a good birthday and the missus (Marilyn) is treating you well!

Doug

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #21 on: 11 May, 2018, 08:00:52 PM »
Happy Birthday Ed, Have a pint on me tonight.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
  • Orignally from Hornchurch. Have East End ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »
Hello Ron.
I hope you are well and get this message.
Sorry to hear you felt you were ignored.
I wanted to catch up with you as you have been so helpful to me with regards to valuable information about the area my family are from.
I never forget a kindness.
Warm regards,
Dawn.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
Hi Essexgirl, its nice to see another name on the forum.
I noticed that you lived in Hornchurch, my old hunting ground, were you anywhere near Ravenscourt Drive?
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
Hi Ken I believe that Essex Girl is a previous poster .I have noticed on this forum that by reading between the lines you can get a good idea where people live through their messages. Mick I think lives in the Weymouth area yourself Bournmouth Christchurch area me from Thundersley in Essex on the forums there have been posters from America(Limey) Bill Sharpe Florida postings from Australia.
Looking back on the old postings you can find which school people went to what they did for a living where they were born where they served in the services as you can see there is guite a lot of info on the forums.
Regards Harry .I

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
Hi Harry, I gathered from Essexgirls reply to Ron that she was a previous poster, but I had not seen her name for a while.
It seems many of the earlier posters are reluctant to start posting again; shame.
kenm.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
Welcome back EssexGirl.

On the point of previous posters returning to the board. It could well be that as yet many are still unware that the board was reinstated. I think I might have been by chance the first person to have found out the board was operational again. As there was no way I could email previous subscribers as email addresses are not shown, I chose a past subject that many had contributed to, (High Street North), and guessed that the auto email notification system might be working too. I made an announcement there about the board reopening hoping that previous subscriber would get messages which numbers of them did.

It does seem to me that one way of spreading news that this board has risen like the Phoenix from the flame, is to contribute to past topics and hopefully many more will get automated messages about the board.