Author Topic: CUMBERLAND ROAD  (Read 3859 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
CUMBERLAND ROAD
« on: 19 October, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
When I was young I'm sure I travelled abroad from Forest Gate to Plaistow to a sports ground in Cumberland Road to see some grass-track cycle racing! A friend  of mine who lived in Otley Road, E?? at one time, was adamant [No. Not the singer] that there wasn't, or ever has been, a sports ground in Cumberland Road. Was he right?
« Last Edit: 19 October, 2015, 03:17:05 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
Re: CUMBERLAND ROAD
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »

Hi Nellanhoj
                  Yes there was a sports ground at Cumberland Rd.The local schools use to have their sports day there,in fact I raced there when I repasented Shipman Rd. in the local schools champinship round about 1946.My eldest son also played in a football final there when he use to go to S.W.H.T in the late 60s I have photos of that team some where,
                     Regards     Alf

Offline Maureen Day

• Helpful user
  • You have to be a friend to have a friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »
I remember district sports at Cumberland Rd, I was girls high jump champion.
My brother was boys champion.
Both of us being tall made it easier for us to jump over the pole.
I remember other girl competitors from others schools saying, "Oh no, there's that lanky girl again she is bound to win"
I was given the nick name "Swanky Lanky Liz" I can smile now at the memory but shed a tear or more at the time.
Great feeling though receiving the medals...
Best Wishes
Maureen

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
I remember this sports ground very well. Tollgate School always had there sports day there. and SWHTS played their home matches there. I have played both schools football and cricket on this ground, and taken part in inter school athletics.
It extends to the back of the old PGS, and I wonder if it was originally the sports ground for that school.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
I also attended their on sports day..I  think it was when I attended school at tollgate..or was it Holborn rd.
memory playing tricks LOL.

Remember I had to run against the lad who's dad run the jellied eel stall outside the greengate pub.
A very tall and athletic type.

Offline briansandilands

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
John,

I did a lot of grass track racing on my bike in the '50's, but never at Cumberland Road.

Closest one for me was Enfield; with Jack Bayliss and Brian Stannard.

Brian

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »
Hello All,
 While at P.G.S. we used to do a lot of our sports lessons out on Cumberland as well as sports day. Haven't got a clue if it was, but it always seemed as though it was our grounds and other schools used it.  During the summer, when all the other schools would come and hold their sports days there, l would spend most of the time in class looking out the windows at what was going on instead of looking at the blackboard. l believe that was years 1-3 along that side of the building. No wonder l didn't get anywhere!! Maureen, the District sports day was the seasons finale, and like you, l represented our school but in the 100 & 200yds. There was a girl who came from Stratford Grammar l think, who always seemed to be there and would win all her races. . . .except for one year. l managed to keep up with her in the 200's, and just about managed to stick my skinny chest out far enough, and nearly died in the process. l was gasping like a kipper, but l got the gold!!

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
oops! forgot to add that l don't remember grass track racing at Cumberland rd. Wouldn't have been further down the road, down on the ground where the present day swimming pool and astro turf pitches are now, on the corner of the A13 and Prince Regent Lane was would it? Can't really remember what was there before, but know it was all grassy. Was it called the Rec?

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »
That could have been it cockney gel. It wouldn't have looked like a circuit as a cinder track would look like.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2016, 08:42:01 PM »
 Hi cockney girl,The rec  that you mentioned  was situated on the a13. IE beckton rd  Prince regent lane, was used for mainly football,, & tennis when I was a kid
West ham boys football team used to play their on a Saturday morning,, their was a wooden pavilion they used for changing rooms.
I am talking about the forties. their also  used to be thousands of doors stored their from bombed houses. We used to play on  them  & make  a camp.
Regards Ron

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
Hi All, I can recall playing soccer on the cinder pitch at Becton rd, also tennis on the hard court pitches.
The  changing rooms & booking office were in a timber building as you entered the main gate.
The Lido was in the park, off PR lane where the Circus used to set up & the West Ham boys used to play at the Spotted dog.
KenM.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
Hi All I can remember going to Cumberland Road for a sports day  and remember the usual sports events but two that stuck in my mind were the slow cycle race and throwing the cricket ball and I seem to recall one of the Robertson twins winning the cricket ball event.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:03:40 AM »
I have many memories of playing on the cinder pitch at the Rec. I had often wondered why there was such a pitch in the middle of so much green. Several years ago, I discovered that this was a barrage balloon site during the war. The cinders had been brought from the gasworks. Once the War was over, I suppose it would have been too much trouble to remove the cinders. The changing room wooden huts were the accommodation for the military unit servicing the balloon.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »
Hi All the Rec where the Barrage Balloon was sited was also used as a dumping ground for timber that was of no use for building work and was left just inside the fence for anyone to help themselves the usable timber was stored in another part of the Rec in a more secure place
Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
Hi All, not sure about the location of Cumberland rd sports ground. Would it have been just across the Freemasons rd from Ashburton rd school?
KenM.