Author Topic: Lena Kennedy  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
  • Orignally from Hornchurch. Have East End ancestors
    • View Profile
Lena Kennedy
« on: 26 September, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »
Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone else love Lena Kennedy novels set in the East End as much as I do?

Offline nan

• View Profile
Re: Lena Kennedy
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2015, 04:45:01 PM »
Yes Essex girl,I used to love Lena Kennedy books,and have you read any of Harry bowling books,he writes about the Isle of dogs,Stepney,poplar etc,although I was born and bred in Plaistow,and stayed there until I was eighty,I do find those interesting as well
I now live in essex,but I will always be an East Londoner.
Just read a book by  Paul Connolly,he was abandoned at two weks old and brought up in
St Leonard's home essex,he mentions Hornchurch ,Romford  Dagenham,and various Essex places
But I don't know where the home was
It was an interesting read,but  a few swear words in it
I got it from Amazon,
Another author I love is Catherine Cookson,but Lena Kennedy tops my bill!!!

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »
Hello Nan, I have to agree i love Lena Kennedy - Lily my Lovely is my all time favourite but like Autumn Alley alot too. One of my other favourites is a book called "Ellie". Some of it is set in Becontree which is very near where i grew up.
I haven't tried any "Harry Bowling" but I will definately give him a try because of your recommendation. Thanks Nan.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »
Ps.Nan I also love Catherine Cookson and it's funny actually, I've always known I have East End ancestry but recently found out I have ancestors from Northumberland too! Used to love "The Mallen" stories and "The Fifteen Streets" but like to watch all her stories on T.V. on the Drama channel.

Offline lyn

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
My mum loved the Lena Kennedy and Harry Bowling books, sorting through her stuff now I have found the complete sets, I have read a few and  will now put them in the charity box, do people read second hand books now though, they go yellow on the edges so quickly.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »
I do buy second hand books Lyn but have to admit only if they are in "like new" condition. I give stuff to charity shops and assume they know what to do with things that are not sale-able like for instance clothes they sell for rags - maybe there is something similar for books?

Offline lyn

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2015, 07:53:25 PM »
Waste paper collection I suppose.

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Hello All,
 Some time ago Lena visited the warden controlled centre where my dad lived, to give a talk to the 'inmates' as my dad called them! She spent a long time after with a cup of tea, just sitting, talking to everyone and listening to the many stories they had to tell, which were very similar to her works as they all came from the same area. My dad said she was a lovely lady, a typical East Ender. Lena had brought back so many forgotten memories for him, taking him back to his youth. He bought one of her books, which she signed, and that was my introduction to her books. l kept that book, Autumn Alley, as it reminds me of the stories my dad had told me.
Thanks nan, l'll have a look for Harry Bowling books. Haven't heard of him before, but l like those sort of books, anything to do with our  East End past.
 l've been scratching my sawdust trying to remember who wrote a book l read called 'Coronation cups and jam jars'. The story is about the author growing up with one set of grandparents who were as poor as church mice while the other pair were a bit better off. When she went to visit them on sundays, the better off ones had a table cloth and Coronation cups to drink the tea out of, while the poorer ones had paper on the table and drank their tea out of jam jars.

Offline lyn

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coronation-Cups-Jam-Jars-Generations/dp/0903738279
 This one ?

Offline nan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2015, 10:35:57 AM »
Hello Essex girl,I have just read about a new book come out and it's a true story of one family and one street in londons east end,it sounds good but I bought four new books last week so cannot afford this one yet.
I thought I would let you know in case you are interested it is by,

Charlie Connelly 
Title is
Constance street
It's a paperback
PriceĀ£7.99

Happy reading,nan x

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
My Nan had an old book that hung around our house for years as a young lad I picked it up on a few occasions but didn't have much interest in it however when I was in my twenties I sat down and started to read it and got quite engrossed in it a proper East end story.
The title of the book was Lisa of Lambeth so if anyone should come across this book it makes a good read.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline Barbara Querry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »
Another author to look out for is Sally Warboyes she is an East London lady who writes about her early life in the East End and also hopping in Kent.

Offline Essexgirl

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »
Thanks Cockney Girl - I would love to have met her.

Thanks also to Nan, Barbara and Harry - I will look out for those books.