Author Topic: Wooder  (Read 2304 times)

Offline patbourne1

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Wooder
« on: 12 June, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »
I'm looking for information on the relatives (ancestors or descendants) of Thomas Wooder, Mayor of West Ham during the Blitz (1940-41).

My maternal great grandmother's maiden name is Mary Ann Amelia Wooder (b.1888) and in amongst family papers we have a newspaper clipping relating to Thomas Wooder, who may have been born in 1871. He had a daughter who was Mayoress for the duration of his Mayorality. I am keen to pin down his exact relation to me, as I believe he may have been the brother of Mary Ann Amelia (and thus my Great great uncle?), but am not quite sure. My great great grand mother was Mary Ann Wooder, nee Brewer (b.1848), and on a passenger list to Canada in 1907 there travelled the two Mary Ann's plus Alfred (b.1884), Harry (b.1886) Helen (b.1890) and John (b.1877) Wooder, presumably siblings of Mary Ann Amelia. There is no mention of a Thomas, and no sign of a father. I believe Mary Ann Amelia's father/ my G G grandfather may have been a Thomas Wooder senior (b.1851) who had definitely passed away by the time of the 1911 census. Possible that another Thomas Wooder, born 1871, was her brother and didn't leave in 1907 to go to Canada with the rest, could this be the Mayor of West Ham? Or maybe he was a distant relative.

Have hit a bit of a brick wall research so if you are a near / distant relative or have any more info, would be gratefully received. Here are the main web results for Thomas Wooder.

http://www.newhamstory.com/node/2345

http://www.newhamphotos.com/p941228376/h3DB8B8F5#h3db8b8f5

My great grandmother married my great grandfather, George Roddam, in Toronto in 1909. They eventually settled in Selby, North Yorkshire, where that branch of my family lived for a couple of generations.

« Last Edit: 12 June, 2015, 11:51:12 PM by patbourne1 »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Wooder
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
Hello Pat, Welcome to the forum.

If I understand the nub of your problem correctly, it is finding a sibling connection between Mary Ann Amelia Wooder and Thomas Wooder.

There does appear to be such a connection in the 1891 census which shows a Mary Ann A Wooder as the brother of Thomas Wooder. Mary Ann is shown as being born c1888 Stratford which ties in with the birth of a Mary Ann A Wooder in the West Hm registration district in 1888. Thomas Wooder in that census is shown as being born c1871 in Forest Gate and his occupation looks like "Gas Worker". This family were living in Hornchurch at the time but the family obviously travelled around as the 10 children shown as being born in either Stratford or Ilford. The youngest was shown as being born in "Wanstead Slip" and this is a rarely used medieval term to describe a dry walkway that ran between Wanstead and across Hackney Marshes. The fathers name is also Thomas born Lewisham c1851 and the mother is Mary Ann born c1849 Pimlico.

The same Thomas Wooder (Jnr) seems to appear in the 1911 census now aged 40 and living at 98 Field Road, Forest Gate. His occupation is given as "Gas Worker"

In the 1911 census this Thomas Wooder also has a son named Thomas James Wooder and there is a WW1 service record for him giving his home address as 98 Field Road, Forest Gate. The service record also shows he is married to a Clara Lily Pepper. He was in the Army Pay Corps and his regimental number was 4441.

There is also a probate record for Thomas Wooder (Jnr) of 98 Field Road showing he died on 19 Apr 1950 and probate was granted to his son Thomas James Wooder, a sales manager.

I have also found a public family tree on Ancestry named the Fuller Family tree. This shows Thomas Wooder (Snr) who married Mary Ann Brewer. The Wooder line goes back to another Thomas Wooder, b c1789 location unknown and who died c1824 Rotherhithe. He was married to a Frances Taylor born c 1785 Putney and who died c1876 somewhere in London.

« Last Edit: 15 June, 2015, 01:56:46 AM by MickG »

Offline patbourne1

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: Wooder
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:55:13 PM »
Wow thanks Mick. I'd looked at those census records before but perhaps missed the 1891 info, also not been able to pull the locations together without the local knowledge so from what you say it really does seem beyond doubt that thomas wooder junior was my great grandmother's brother.  The origin of the problem lay in being told that it was her father who was the mayor.  This struck me as problematic firstly because of the Grand age he would have been , and secondly when I realised he would have been dead for going on 30 odd years!  With Thomas Wooder Jr missing from the passenger lists I could conclude that he had stayed behind,  being in his 30s and probably settled.  This helps pull all these assumptions together, and the extra probate info helps too. Many thanks.