Author Topic: Battle of Britain 1917/ the first heavy bomber raids on britain  (Read 2381 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
Hello Everyone,

Having read on my e-reader the story of the first heavy bomber raid on Britain which makes very interesting reading as as the story unfolds it contains it reveals facts and figures of the action on both the german and English airmen and the defence of England.

Basically the amount of airships that the Germans built was quite something else , and the amount of faults on both sides by having  airships,  and biplanes,  with guns that weren't always up to the mark, how ever, the amount of defending by the R.F.C.  and battery guns defending and protecting our shores makes very interesting reading, and  to which R.F.C. eventually became the R.A.F. how ever when you read of the exploits of these brave pilots flying, and in some cases being shot down, as they didn't have or carry parachutes then  makes real heroes of them all,.

well this book has been well researched, by  Johnathan Suther and I would recommend this book to any one interested in reading of the bravery of the pilots of the 1st world war,.

Many regards ,

GEORGIAN,

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Battle of Britain 1917/ the first heavy bomber raids on britain
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2015, 01:51:33 AM »
I remember once reading about the first Zeppelin raids which were on Humberside, London came later. The raids initially caused terror amongst the population. Up until that time, all of the UK's wars had been fought overseas and away from the public eye. The population of the UK felt safe on their home ground. Then suddenly bombs started falling from the sky on them. Due to the time it took the Zeppelins to make their journey and the limited bomb load they could carry, their effect was limited compared to the Blitz of WW2.

Another problem was there was no real defence against them at first as the could fly higher than early aeroplanes could reach. Better planes resolved that problem later.

I know the crazy idea of not allowing parachutes for pilots was because it was considered it might create cowardice. It must have been a terrifying prospect for a pilot hit by enemy fire to know their choices were either stay in the plane and burn to death, jump to ones death, or crash to ones death. Whatever choice the pilot effectively lost their life. It is lucky that backward  thinking did not continue into WW2.

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
Not a Newham Photo, but the site of a Zeppelin Raid on Bridlington, this is a new created memorial site on the spot where the houses were bombed. As well as bombing the north east coast also suffered heavy bombardment for German battleships.

Offline Onidrillza

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:18:08 AM »
I want to understand more details.