Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 14854 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #15 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
My friends dad worked as a mechanic for Eastern Belle in circa 1948 and said it was at Bow [at least where he worked].
He says the three companies: "Eastern Belle," "Clarks Coaches" and "Clarks Red" apparently were all owned by the same family of brothers? How correct this info is I really don't know!

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #16 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
The 1955 telephone directory gives three branches for Eastern Belle Motor Coaches.

167a Bow Rd E3
3 Beckton Rd Albert Dk 3503
51 Vicarage Rd E10

The main office has an unspecified address but 8is is on the same ADVance exchange as the Bow office.

Offline littlewren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
My friends dad worked as a mechanic for Eastern Belle in circa 1948 and said it was at Bow [at least where he worked].
He says the three companies: "Eastern Belle," "Clarks Coaches" and "Clarks Red" apparently were all owned by the same family of brothers? How correct this info is I really don't know!

Yes, Eastern Belle was owned by a Mr Clark, who my Grandad fondly called Clarky, but I can't seem to find out much more about the company.

Offline littlewren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
The 1955 telephone directory gives three branches for Eastern Belle Motor Coaches.

167a Bow Rd E3
3 Beckton Rd Albert Dk 3503
51 Vicarage Rd E10

The main office has an unspecified address but 8is is on the same ADVance exchange as the Bow office.

Thank you for this info Mick, we lived at 3 Beckton Road.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2015, 02:31:50 PM »
littlewren,
Have you seen at least four pictures of the Blue Eastern Belle  AEC Regal Duple half cab coach, Registration No: NXL 847 on the net. there is even a picture of the model one made for model collectors memorabilia. I looks same coach? 

Offline littlewren

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
littlewren,
Have you seen at least four pictures of the Blue Eastern Belle  AEC Regal Duple half cab coach, Registration No: NXL 847 on the net. there is even a picture of the model one made for model collectors memorabilia. I looks same coach?

Hi nellanhoj, I saw the pics that Mick posted, but to be honest I can't remember the colour of the coaches from when I was young! I need to check with my Dad at the weekend....the old memory and that lol

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
Oops! Sorry. I didn't realise Mick had posted pics already. I really must spec some new getacles!:D :D

Offline littlewren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2015, 04:44:05 PM »
Oops! Sorry. I didn't realise Mick had posted pics already. I really must spec some new getacles!:D :D

Haha, I've got new gectacles and they're still not right :-O

Offline jplant1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
When I was at school I was a bus spotter. There was only one magazine for us "Buses Illustrated" monthly. It often carried reports on coach operators as well as public bus routes, for example when they had bought new vehicles. The mag started in 1949 (before my time) and I don't know till when. Now there are plenty more magazines for the bus and coach industry and bus and coach fans (just Google them). I reckon you need to find an enthusiast for East London bus and coach history - there must be some out there, maybe via websites or blogs and pick their brains about where to dig up the info you want. With luck you'll find someone who knows already, or who will do the work for you.

Offline littlewren

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »
When I was at school I was a bus spotter. There was only one magazine for us "Buses Illustrated" monthly. It often carried reports on coach operators as well as public bus routes, for example when they had bought new vehicles. The mag started in 1949 (before my time) and I don't know till when. Now there are plenty more magazines for the bus and coach industry and bus and coach fans (just Google them). I reckon you need to find an enthusiast for East London bus and coach history - there must be some out there, maybe via websites or blogs and pick their brains about where to dig up the info you want. With luck you'll find someone who knows already, or who will do the work for you.
Thank you for that info jplant1, that's very helpful.  :)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #25 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
I found film footage of an Eastern Belle coach at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctktFA3wF9I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctktFA3wF9I)

Offline littlewren

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
I found film footage of an Eastern Belle coach at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctktFA3wF9I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctktFA3wF9I)
Thanks for that Mick, so they were blue....shame I couldn't remember the colour lol  I went on enough trips to the seaside on them, but then I was only little  :)

Offline Jenny P

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 May, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »
Hi little wren

Have only just seen your post and I don't know anything about the coach firm but my great grandad had a boot menders and record shop at no.4 Becton Road.  Don't know if that would have been next door or the opposite side of the road.

Also my nickname is Jennywren!!  Small world eh!

Born in Stratford, moved to Wiltshire in 70's, but have fond memories of 'home'.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #28 on: 09 May, 2015, 12:41:37 AM »
Jenny, I am almost certain that number 4 Beckton Road was on the opposite side of the road.

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 May, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
HI All
I have attached a large sacle map of Trinity Church Junction which shows exactly where No3 was. I have also attached a copy of an earlier pic with No 3 arrowed.

Biff