Author Topic: Some Posts  (Read 9576 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Some Posts
« on: 23 October, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Perhaps I am getting old and grumpy but am I alone in finding that a few of the posts made on topics in recent times are absolutely pointless and have no connection with the topic concerned. These posts are not abusive or offensive but they certainly do not make much sense. In most cases that are posted by individuals who are new to the board and not by members who, like me, have been around for a few years.
It seems harsh to report what isn't an offensive post to the moderators so do we just "grin and bear it"?
Doug

MBrennan

Re: Some Posts
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
Obviously spammers Doug. I wonder if they are some kind of 'marker' for later use. I don't know much about scamming.

Mark

Online MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
Doug, I like you find such messages from an immature mind a slight annoyance. I am certain they are all coming from the same person and as such are not possible to ban as the individual will simply create another name to use. It is a form of internet trollism.

The individual probably thinks they are clever and probably does not appreciate they are seen by others as a person in need of treatment. When we get spam messages I normally report them to the moderator. I suppose we could do the same with words like "Message designed to create annoyance" or some such phrase. If enough of these messages are deleted perhaps the individual will take up some other useful activity like playing in the middle of the road.

Online MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
There were a number of odd-ball posts this morning. I reported everyone to the moderator with the message, "Troll message designed to annoy". Thankfully they have all been deleted now.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
MickG I've just spent the last 20 minutes reporting "Nonsense" posts to the moderators. None of them were offensive just very annoying when they don't relate to the thread at all and make very little sense. It's no wonder that some of us older members appear reluctant to contribute these days!

Online MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
Doug, I can well understand how yourself and other must feel. I reported three such messages today, probably the same ones as yourself.

My best advice is not to get disheartened by these idiots for that is what they are. People who take perverse pleasure at annoying others. To me apart from reporting such messages to the Administrator just try to completely ignore them and not respond to them. These people are not unique to the Newham board, they abound everywhere. As far as I am concerned they are individuals who have nothing to say or if they do, they have nothing worth listening to.

The remind me of a precocious child trying to butt into adult conversations. I feel sorry for them in a way as they don't seem to have a life.

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
It would seem whoever is now responsible for monitoring the site does not take the job very seriously as these post are still there, the person who used to be the moderator would have had them removed with-in hours of the complaint.

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
I still don't understand why this forum suffers with this problem so much.
I belong to a number of other internet forums, none of which have to put up with this type of idiot messaging.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
What on earth is going on with these spam messages. There's even one written in French today!!

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
On the front page of the main Newham Story Website there is a "Contact Us" facility. I have now written to the "site" via this link reporting the nonsensical posts and asking that they are removed and the posters blocked. Perhaps others should also take this action. You never know enough pressure may result in them doing something!
Regards

Doug

Online MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
I also used the report to moderator facility this morning for about six of these nonsense messages. They are however not unusual but all of these troll annoyance and spam messages on this site require someone to actually create a Newham website account to enable them to post messages.

On my own websites particularly one that is very popular I usually get several hundred spam messages a day. It did exceed several thousand one day. These messages however are created by what could be called spam-bots. These are computers that scour the internet posting messages to every variation of web name possible so some must get through. Fortunately my websites are protected by anti-spam software and every single one goes into a trash folders that the public cannot see. All genuine comments get through though.

Offline Andy C

• Lived in Liverpool Road from 1948 to 1977.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
Has the moderator been moderated...

Offline nan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »
This forum is nothing like it used to be,I don't know if it's me getting old or what,but sometimes I can't make out what the messages mean.
Once upon a time I used to look forward to sitting down with a cuppa and going through them,but now there doesn't seem to be anything to look forward to ,don't know if anyone else feels the same.
Nan

Online MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
Nan,

Those messages you are referring to do not mean anything at all. They are put there by a person with a warped mind and are designed to annoy. In internet slang such people are often referred to a trolls. The name was coined after the mythological Scandinavian  trolls who get up to mischief. Its how these people derive their pleasure at the expense of others. Although these weird messages are under different screen names, it probably is the same person each time logging in and creating a new name under a false email address. The probably do not realise that even though they may use false email addresses, their full digital web address that identifies their Information Provider and who they actually are gets passed over to the person who runs the board.

Below is a definitive extract from Wikipedia as to what a troll is or does.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I don' t know who the moderator is but I would assume it would be either a member(s) of Newham library staff or IT department. Whoever it is, looking after the board is probably one aspect of multi-varied duties they have. Holidays can also have an effect on their monitoring of the board.

As to real debate on the board, it is dependent on contributors either raising or debating subjects. Georgian is particularly good at this but it is up to everyone to make the board a success. It is sad when the board looses a live wire like Louise (EXCUSTOMHOUSE) through failing eyesight but from membership numbers, there appears to be plenty of readers of the board who rarely contribute. That is certainly not a criticism as sometimes some people are content to just read rather than contribute.

However the more people that contribute to the board, the more interesting the discussion and the more individual memories and knowledge is shared.

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »
Like a number of other members I find the scam posts very very annoying and have just submitted an email to the Administrators asking that consideration is given to a couple of long established members to have permission to delete unwanted and stupid posts.   Obviously the forum is not monitored daily but if these posts arrive and are quickly deleted by a responsible and reliable long serving member the scammers will soon find that they are not getting the attention that they seek.
alffox.

Such as: tevesbristle - dsodusts - romruensky - and now herbert gum (who has just signed in).