Author Topic: Billy Murray  (Read 1835 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Billy Murray
« on: 27 August, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »
I read today on the net that Billy Murray [Johnny Allen] of East Enders fame along with an extensive varied TV career, attended St Bonaventures School in Upton Lane. Does anyone know if he was born in East/West Ham.
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2014, 01:10:50 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline Maureen Day

• Helpful user
  • You have to be a friend to have a friend
    • View Profile
Re: Billy Marray
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
I do believe he lived in Walton Road, Plaistow, not sure if that was where he was born.
Regards
Maureen

Brenda B.

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
John - I gather he was born in Forest Gate. 
(Extract from IMDb site about movie stars -  "Born: October, 1941 in Forest Gate, London, England, UK)"   Not necessarily fact but he must have been living in that area at the time to go to St. Bonaventures.

You may be interested (or not) to search Bill Murray Herne Bay Times;  he did a deal with our council (how eastend is that) to renovate some derelict property on the Herne Bay seafront.  Interestingly, it's only a few shops along from the pie & mash shop where a few of us forum users meet up periodically.  Perhaps the proximity was the attraction! - Brenda.

PS:  Noting his eastend character's name - not you is it?
« Last Edit: 29 August, 2014, 10:13:00 AM by Brenda B. »

MBrennan

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:20:36 AM »
It says on his Wikipedia page that he was born in Bethnal Green - however, we know it isn't always a reliable source :)

It also says the Krays paid £400 for him to go to acting school as they liked his attitude.

Mark

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Re: Billy Murray
« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
Interestingly, it's only a few shops along from the pie & mash shop where a few of us forum users meet up periodically.  Perhaps the proximity was the attraction! - Brenda.
PS:  Not you is it?

[/quote]
No Brenda, it isn't me. I'm Limehouse born and Forest Gate/Stratford bred. I was in a class with a lad by the name of Murrey when I attended Whitehall School, and he lived in Tylney/Sebert Rd, Forest Gate area  . . . who knows he could have been an older brother to the young Billy?
I'm also a lover of Mie and Pash. I've travelled a round trip of 90-odd miles for a decent pie and mash and then bloom'n 'ungry when I've got 'ome. I've noticed when reading my Pie and Mash thread that P&M shops seem to be making a come-back outside London in quite a few towns and seasides.  Apparently, one has just CLOSED in Clacton--shattering news!
One thread on Wiki says The Krays of Bethnal Green! Was Valence Road, in Bethnal Green? . . . I thought it was in Bow.
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2014, 09:59:24 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
Re: Billy Murray
« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:56:41 PM »
Talking about the Krays Wikipedia says that the Krays owned West Ham Boxing Club; somehow I think they got that wrong don't you! If any boxing club at all, I would think it was Repton Boxing Club.  What do you think?