Author Topic: "Eldridge" & Eldridge Transport - West Ham/Silvertown  (Read 4602 times)

Offline anthony_e

• New to the board
    • View Profile
"Eldridge" & Eldridge Transport - West Ham/Silvertown
« on: 01 July, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
Evening All,

I have been trying to trace my family history which seems to be extremely difficult with the limited knowledge that I have of my fathers side of my family. I need to cut this quite short otherwise I would be here all night listing different pieces of info', so please bear with me!

I'm trying to find out some information/history on the "Eldridge" name (my surname) which seems to be quite a popular surname in the West Ham region. My father (Colin) was involved with Eldridge Transport in Silvertown Way E16, whether he was the owner or not I don't know, but the Eldridge haulage firm was involved with the hanging meat business and local meat markets (Smithfield), and continental runs to Scandinavia, Germany etc and was a popular haulage firm (from what I understand) back in the 1980s. I have trawled the Internet high and low for information on this haulage firm and have not got anywhere - there are no pictures, hardly any information and what makes this more difficult is that my father mysteriously disappeared in the mid 1980s (from Kent) without a trace - I have no idea what happened to him or Eldridge Transport - all I know is that the depot was based either opposite or next to the Silvertown Transport Motel (which frustratingly I cannot find any pictures or info' on). My father was also involved in car racing, I don't know if this was on the mechanical side or the driving side of things, but I know that he did have strong links with the Isle of Sheppey in Kent. He would be around 69 - 70 years old now, if he's still alive.

Does anyone here have any information on this or could share any pictures with me as I am completely stuck here, and even the slightest bit of information could help me out a great deal with this. Has anyone heard of Eldridge Transport? Know any Eldridge's or Colin Eldridge's in the West Ham region or have any photographs?

Any help is appreciated guys, I'm not familiar with the area as I live in Kent, but when tracing back the Eldridge name and some birth records it seems to be popular in the "West Ham District".

Thanks guys,
Anthony.

MBrennan

Re: "Eldridge" & Eldridge Transport - West Ham/Silvertown
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:20:42 AM »
Sorry I can't help Colin, but as someone pointed out to me last year, the West Ham district held records for a very large area, not just West Ham, eg some of my family were from Walthamstow and marriages etc were listed as West Ham district.

Although originally from newham, I am also living in Kent now (Whitstable)

Good luck anyway, there are some helpful people on here :)

Mark

JEP

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
Hello Anthony , welcome to the site!

I grew up with a childhood friend named Colin Eldridge - he lived in Eastbourne Road East Ham and would be about 67 years of age now. He had an elder brother Patrick, a younger brother David and a younger sister who I think was Sharon. I cant remember the names of their parents.

Unfortunately we lost contact after growing up and leaving school so I don't know if he went into the transport business although I remember he was very mechanically-minded.

Don't know if this helps you at all but good luck with your investigations.

Jack

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
Anthony,

I did find a reference to Eldridge Haulage Ltd at  31 Caxton St S, Canning Town, London E16 1AW, so it obviously existed 

The link was at http://www.checksure.biz/company/ELDRIDGE+HAULAGE+LTD-0725371.htm so with a little luck this will put you on the right path.

Offline anthony_e

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
Thanks for all of your help so far guys, if anyone else is familiar with this name then please do come forward!

Offline MrRe

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
There was a Peter Eldridge associated with both Newham Council Leisure and East Ham Swimming Club during the 70/80's. Judging from my parents age he would be in his late 70's or early 80's I guess. Think he was instrumental in setting up the Triathlon in the Docks.
He had children that swam. Not sure if a son was also called Peter and a daughter called Karen. She is a member on a East Ham Swimming Club page on Facebook.
Not sure if thats off any use to you!

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
Hi Anthony and Welcome to the Forum

In the early 1970's I worked in the offices of the Newham Baths Section in Nelson Street, East Ham.

I remember Peter Eldridge as being a swimming instructor at East Ham Baths. As MrRe says he would probably be in his late 70's early 80's now.

Linda

Offline Stan

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
Sorry, but Eldridge Tpt was originally from South London! The depot was in Ilderton Road, New Cross. Mr E was from Kent
In the 70s they moved to Silvertown (Caxton Street) to be next to the docks, which were still working! 
We were hand loaded by dockers in the Victoria or King George 5 docks with Argentine chilled beef or NZ frozen lamb.
Those really were good old days, even with the unloading, "transhipping" handball work! And the old motors. Slow Gardner engines, no power steering!
But it was a great job! Even when later,  Eddie got office job, assistant TM (shame)
I cannot remember anyone around then called Colin? 

Offline kyml

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
Hi Anthony,
                   Can't really help, only can tell you that I knew of a Mickey Eldridge and went out with his brother Paul Eldridge around the year 1972, knew him from youth club in Deanery rd, off water lane, stratford in West Ham.

Offline CundyRoad

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2014, 11:18:10 AM »
From the dim and distant past I seem to recall that one of the Eldridges was named Dave (probably David).
That's about all I can remember.

Offline zohaa

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Hi all
My local library has given me free access to 19th Century British Newspapers.  The Stratford & Newham Express does not  seem to be included.

Is there free online access to 'Stratford & Newham Express' 1874 till World War Two?

Any f/h research tips on newspaper sites very welcome.
Get fast success in  mybraindumps (http://www.mybraindumps.net/350-080.html)  and  ECCOUNCIL (http://www.eccouncil.org/)   exam questions.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
There was no "Stratford and Newham Express" in the 19th Century. Try "Stratford Express". You could try Stratford and whatever area you can think of . . . Newham didn't exist until the twentieth Century. The company published in many areas: Poplar, Hackney, Romford, Ilford, to name just a few areas. 

found this on trucknet:

"No, it's Eldridge from Silvertown E16, their yard was under the flyover next to the Silvertown Motel (remember that?) They carried on until the mid 90s & stayed loyal to the marque running Sudden Accidents to the end, they lost a driver on the Zeebrugge boat. I think they packed up when Newham Council bought the yard under a compulsory purchase order, the Guvnor's name was Eddie, nice old boy but he didn't take any crap off anybody, I did a bit of subbing for him just before they finished."

« Last Edit: 03 October, 2014, 07:51:41 PM by nellanhoj »

Offline joan

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »
Hi, I understand you want information about Eldridge Haulage Ltd. Silvertown Way, E16.
I worked for this Company 1968-71. They were then in Ilderton Road, SE15, near the Millwall football ground. The owner was Wally Eldridge who was in his 40's at that time.
He bought the site in Silvertown Way E16 in 1971/2 and moved there just before the docks closed. Until that time all his drivers were from the Lewisham, Deptford, Greenwich area.
After he moved he began to employ drivers from that side of the river.
Wally's children's ages ranged from early 20's to 5. I never heard of a Colin, but I was not involved with the company in the 1980's.
Apart from the drivers there was a yard foreman, someone to take jobs and organise the drivers, part time office, mechanic to keep the lorries on the road and Wally.
If I can be of any further help, please contact me.
Joan

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
Hello Joan and welcome to the Forum.

I noticed that Anthony hasn't been active on the Forum since July 2014 which is a shame as your information should be of interest to him. Hopefully at some point he will have a look at the forum and see your post.

Best Wishes
Linda

Offline Stan

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »
Some memories ; Guv. Wally, son Barry, mechanic,
*******, manager
 Eddie W*****. Traffic clerk Assistant, drivers, brothers Rex and Ronnie, union man Recn***,  Noakes, Dave A, Harry B***  Beechy, driver Roy and his brother Bob, mechanic, ***** Dott, Christopher, and more