Author Topic: new members  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Albert

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
new members
« on: 30 June, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
Why is the new members forum allowing posts from what appears to be spammers from India.

Albert

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: new members
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »
Albert. I did flag these massages up to the administrator as spam over the last few days. They probably have not has time to delete them yet.

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
I don't know why The Newham Story should be plagued with this problem. I belong to a number of other large forums that do not appear to suffer as badly.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »
I certainly would not describe the Newham board as plagued with spam, quite the reverse. If anything this board has so far been fortunate in attracting only the occasional spammer.

I run a number of websites where comments are invited and they all attract a degree of spam from individuals wanting free advertising to trade their wares. On the most popular of my sites I average about 20-30 such postings a day. However all my websites are linked to anti-spam software which traps such advertising which stops it being displayed and automatically places it in a spam folder. All genuine comments are automatically published immediately the same as this board. I am able to view this spam folder to review the messages and allow them to be published or delete them. Over the years not one message has been categorised incorrectly and normally I do a mass deletion of my spam folder.

I have no idea how the anti-spam software works but it has never failed yet. Some anti-spam software can be too Draconian and parse every word. On a board like this Essex is frequently mentioned but draconian software would identify the work S*E*X contained inside the word and ban it and I am sure we would not want that to happen.

Moderators of all boards face this problem daily and it is a balance between allowing the free flow of dialogue or unduly heavy censorship with all messages delayed. The latter apart from being unpopular is very time consuming. I would think the moderator(s) of this boards is likely to have many duties of which we would only play a small part. Annual leave and sickness are likely to impact on these duties.

On the bottom right of each message there is a "Report to Moderator" link which I always used and simply type the word spam in it. That is quite sufficient for the moderator to look a it. There has been a couple of such messages on the board that have stayed up much longer than normal but I would think they will be removed in due course.

Offline Albert

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
Hi Mick,
You're right the forum does not suffer too much from spammers but sometimes their postings do seem to stay there for too long.
Albert

Offline Kirishimaza

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
Hi, I'm a new member with the deposit.