Author Topic: LETS GET OUR THINKING CAPS ON.  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Stratford Les

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Re: LETS GET OUR THINKING CAPS ON.
« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
English Cooking by Kate and Sidney Pye.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »
Contented Dog by Nora Bone

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2014, 12:22:41 AM »
Take up Yoga by Mustapha Bash.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »
Or as the bald German said to his wig "Guten tag mine herr".
Harry I

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »
This should stir a few memories for ex SWHT guys who had endured the painful dead-leg attacks and knuckle blows to the back of the head from ‘Butch Grearson’ the eternally irritated metal work teacher?  I had never actually seen him smile.   Although it’s of poor quality it’s the only photo I’ve seen of the SWHT metal work shop with work in progress.  I’m sure it will delight some of the old SWHT die-hards? - Stan

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
Hi Pam  -  Just catching up on some posts I have missed.
Your memories and mine are so similar it is uncanny.  I also was taken to those big stores and being as we come up from Canning Town we would see Gardners Corner, The Big Woolworths that stood on a corner near by.  Our first stop used to be Gamages that was a sheer delight at any time but spescially Xmas talking now 1935/8)  -      In much later times bought
a quantity of Parachute Silk for making undies and such like. (Never got made as far asI know)

Like you Pam I could not wait to get to C&A (with all those clothes and whatever you needed you could find. Talking here 46/50. >>>   Much later I had the joy of taking my Daughter up there and letting her catch the excitement of it all and buying as many Summer Dresses as fitted her and she liked. (Pam they were so reasonable and some down right cheap) but always good quality and good washers.  Good bargains for the boys shirts, shorts as well  and they were always that little bit different.    Had two lovely Maternity Suits from there as needed.
Bought Son Glyn his first Flower Power Shirt there and the eldest his first Tank Top  remember those.?
Used to leave  all purchases there and go over to Selfridges Toy Dept. and then a super Lunch with a sweet that was out of this world. Remember once vividly I spent £30 (yes £30) in C&A and gave a cheque and because of the amount I could not take the clothes home but had to have them sent by post??  All to do with the three day clearance on cheque/ remember that?
REMBER THIS WAS ALL REPEATED AT CHRISTMAS FOR CROMBIE COAT for Jill, and HIPPIE SON HAD A AFGHAN COAT (It stunk the house out.)Eventually he went on his travels and took the darn thing with him.
 Pam do not go back.   I went with my Grandaughter about (10years ago although not certain on this may have been slightly earlier) and C&A was hanging clothes from the ceilings on hangers just like all the clothing stores do to-day.  What a dissapointment as I had related to her the magic held by Oxford Street, C&A stores  and all the other delights.
Pam there was nothing left of our days  it was 11.0am when we arrived and Oxford Street was empty and we even had a job to find a place for a quick Coffee my daughter and I. I just stood outside M&S and said I am so sorry darling this is a different place to what gran knew.  Even M&S was full of unknown faces and languages.    No Barrow Boys, or Suitcases on the Pavement.
When I went with Lorna it must have been just prior to them closing for good.    I have missed them every shopping spree  since.   
Louise.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
Gardeners Corner is frequently mentioned as a landmark on various threads. The name lingers on although the building no longer exists.

I went to the fire in 1972 when Gardiners Corner was destroyed and following two pictures show the building in its death throes. The famous clock tower made of concrete and masonry eventually toppled backwards and crashed through all the floors in the loudest noise I have ever heard.

The area around the building became like a mini-lake due to the amount of water used and nearby Aldgate East Tube Station had to close its flood doors and all trains simply passed through the station without stopping.

Offline Pamela Cross

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
Hello Louise and Mick,
What a shock seeing Gardners in flames like that, how strange that I can't remember that at all. What a shame that it could happen to such a huge store as that was.  I was living in Clacton then and commuting into London. Mind you with everything else that was going on in the Country then, I'm not surprised. Was that the start of the 3 day week, power cuts and bombings or was that a bit later?

Louise, on your advice,  I'll definitely give Oxford Street a miss if that's what it's like now. I must tell you that I still have a couple of suits from C&A that come out on high days, holidays, weddings and funerals and they're still as good as new. Now I have to say to you Louise, don't ask for that shop to come back. We went to France last year for a touring holiday with my family, and broke our journey overnight in a place called Tours. Strolling out in the evening, we came across a C&A store, wow I thought, dragging the Hubs in there, what a shock, inferior shoddy garments, really nasty, I couldn't wait to get out of there, (much to the relief of the Hubs who has deep pockets and short arms  ;) )!

So I'll content myself just watching the next series of Selfridges on TV, without having my illusions shattered by what has happened to my lovely Oxford Street now. Pam

Offline alan B

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
The pictures of Gardener's corner on fire reminded me of the Great fire of Ilford. sometime during the late 50's early sixties. I was passing Stratford fire station one day and was surprised to see a fire tender with Hampshire cc on the door. The crew were relaxing and cleaning the said tender I asked why and was told they were providing cover as all local appliances where tasking Ilford. I was also told that after a rest period they would move up to Romford rd baths and gradually move up to Ilford.
 I did go for a swim that night and indeed there was a WRVS mobile canteen their with I think several crews having a brew.
I am sure Mick will put me right on this.

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

Mick Hi,

What Sad/Beautiful photographs you have sent us.

I did know from a previous Forum member that Gardeners Corner was no more.
Never dreamt it had such a terrible end.

I had in about 1948/9 a Merchant Navy 1st. Officer close friend and he had to go there for all his clothing
I believe it cost him  the earth. 
Being as the fire was in 1972 he may if in this Country knew of it's Sad Demise / I hope so.

Thank you again - Louise

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #25 on: 24 June, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
Alan,

The Harrison & Gibson fire in Ilford was in 1959 five years before I joined the fire service. I know West Ham appliances did go to the incident as a colleague named Fred Collins used to tell how that was his very first night on duty after coming out of training school.

At that time Essex would have been the fire service covering Ilford and clearly as it was a large job they would have sought assistance from surrounding brigades. The bulk of that help would have clearly come from the much larger London Fire Brigade which was controlled by the LCC in 1959. I must admit I am surprised at a machine all the way from Hampshire providing fire cover at Stratford as I would have thought it would have been more likely that either London or Kent would have filled in. At a large incident relief crews would also be drawn from a large area as many crews would already be at the incident and care has to be taken not to denude further areas of fire cover.

Each fire station carries several sets of what are known as route cards. At that time there would have been one card for every street with instructions on how to get to that street from that station. This is to ensure any fire appliance providing temporary fire cover in an area they do not know can reach an incident without delay. Today the card is a map covering one square of the A-Z atlas to which is added a red arrow indicating the entry point to that map square from the station. Again route directions are printed on the back of the card.

My best guess with the WRVS canteen van is the incident was so large that a Rendezvous Point (RVP) was set up well away from the incident that was easy to get to which crews who did not know the area could find. Sometimes at large incidents machines become "locked in" to their location as they are being utilised for pumping or whatever. In these situations crews are ferried to a RVP and will take the reliefs crews fire appliance back to their station.

When a large incident is "made up and knocked off", it can take several days for everyone's machines and gear to be sorted out. Normally a convenient fire station with a large yard is used where all gear recovered from a fire is taken. Each item of equipment including hose has a station identity number on it and once sorted it is gradually transported back to its home station.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »
Louise,

I believe Gardiners closed a year before the fire in 1971. If you look carefully at the top photograph it is just possible to detect a slight backwards lean on the clock tower. Soon after it fell backwards and due to its weight, crashed through all the floors.