Author Topic: Land use map 1936  (Read 1248 times)

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
Land use map 1936
« on: 28 May, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »
Hi ,Not sure if this map has Been Posted ,found the 1936 land use map quite interesting.

http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/london_map/intro/

Poppy Show

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Land use map 1936
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
Poppy,

That's a good series of maps. I think I have seen those maps before individually but no overlaid they way they are on this site. The reference markers on the map greatly assist in identifying locations.

One thing that clearly shows up between the 1805 and 1898 map for Hackney, Bow and Stratford is how rapidly East London expanded in the 19th centaury up to the River Lea which at the time acted as a barrier to further eastwards expansion.

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »
Hi ,Mick
I have often wondered if you keep going back, with the population decreasing that maybe we are all related to each other somewhere along the line?
regarding these maps it,s amazing what you can discover, on the London-OS Town plan 1893-95, i discovered a road i never knew existed, it was called Railway Place  situated down Bridge Road Stratford E15, i knew Bridge rd very well  , i think maybe the turning got bombed during  the war, as i recall just about where the turning should have been there was these large wooden gates , maybe the debris behind the gates was used as a yard?
I am now on a Quest to find out more about the said Railway place, i think i will have a look on Britain from Above to see if i can find out more.
Poppy

Offline Stratford Les

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Hi Poppy Show,
Railway Place was a narrow cul-de-sac just off the top end of Bridge Road, I think it was the second turning from the top.
I seem to remember that the caretaker of Bridge Road Primary School lived in a house on the left at the bottom end and there were some terraced  houses on the right.
I lived in Chapel Street (which no longer exists) that ran parallel to Bridge Road from 1941 to 1955 and Railway Place was there at that time.
Les.
« Last Edit: 29 May, 2014, 06:06:33 PM by Stratford Les »

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
Hi Les,
My memories of Bridge road are, starting from the Rex Cinema, first turning Bridge Terrace, with a row of terraced houses  called ancient lights. next the barbers Gambadella,s  next a cafe then a sweet shop Hewitts i think then a debri then the public house the Railway, next door was my school Bridge Road,access to the school down Devon terrace , i remember some terraced houses down there, carrying on down Bridge road corner of Devon terrace  there was some large victorian houses with the stairs going up to the door and a basement , they would be worth a fortune now,
carrying on some shops one of them being a sweet shop called Bobs , The Albion Pub  corner of Albion st on the opposite corner was a grocers shop with two concrete steps leading up to the door , more terraced houses and some nissan huts ,leading up to Peggy leggy steps.
looking at the map, i can,t recall mount place or Railway Place
I think i have found a photo of Railway place in 1947 , i will try and get a link to it
Poppy

« Last Edit: 29 May, 2014, 10:17:57 PM by poppy show »

Offline Eddieb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »
Hello Poppy,

Just noticed your old posting regarding Railway Place.  When I was first allowed out, aged 5, I left my house (22 Bridge Road), when round the corner into Railway Place, met some local boys and we were mates until we were moved out around 1965.

If you faced the entrance to Railway Place, on the left was a building with a pair of gates. It ran down the side of R. Place, and half way down there was another set of gates into a little courtyard.  We called it the factory, and they used it to store old cardboard boxes. We used to get in and play in there regularly. And the factoryman sometimes came out and chased us off.

All the best,

Eddie