Author Topic: School photos 1920s/1930s St Joachims  (Read 4257 times)

Offline chrisscales

• View Profile
School photos 1920s/1930s St Joachims
« on: 07 January, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
I have seen there are some school photos on here which I assume represent all held at Newham Archives and Local Studies Library.

But I was wondering if any other Newham residents or people researching their families may have any school photos from the area 1920s/1930s? My grandfather was born 1923 and went to St Joachims RC  school until he left aged 14 (c1938)..

I have a school photo of his brother's class at St Joachims c1928, but none of my grandad and am hoping I can find one somewhere out in the world... I guess it may be a case of tracking down classmates families though that would be rather tricky!

Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions I'd love to know.

Thanks
Chris
« Last Edit: 21 April, 2016, 08:04:23 AM by chrisscales »

Offline isabel

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: School photos 1920s/1930s St Joachims / St Bons?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Dear Chris,

I am a current Newham resident doing some research on the area in the 20s and 30s. I'd be really interested to see your photo of the St Joachims, as the name keeps cropping up in my research!

I will, of course, let you know if I find any more sources for the school at that time.

Good luck with your search!

Offline peggytoof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
Photos of my Nanna Annie May Wood, she attended St Patricks in abt 1923 ish. I have no idea what senior school she attended and have no idea how to find out  :(

[imghttp:// (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/leethedig/media/Wood/Picture364.jpg.html)][/img]

[imghttp:// (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/leethedig/media/Wood/Picture362.jpg.html)][/img]

[imghttp:// (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/leethedig/media/Wood/Picture363.jpg.html)][/img]
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2014, 06:03:29 PM by peggytoof »

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
peggytoof,
 welcome to the Board, great photos especially the last one capturing the way life was like in our old westham. You take care of these photos because in years to come your younger family members will look at these and the like and get a feel what living in the 20s and 30s was really like.
Sadly all of my families school photos were lost in the Blitz and later slum clearance of Custom House, I would loved to have a school photo of my mum and dads Schools so cherish these.

All the best Ed

Offline harry

• View Profile
memories of American troops in England during WW2
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2014, 01:26:10 AM »
Hi all there was an item on the BBC Look East news tonight about an American airbase somewhere in England and there was some pictures of drawings and graphite left on some of the walls which were drawn by American Airmen to while away their spare time and some of them looked quite good.
The powers to be have now started a campaign to preserve these .
I remember seeing the same sort of thing on the walls of what was  a CafĂ© at the corner of Otley/Prince regents Lane which was used as a billet for American Troops awaiting the D Day landings anyone else remember seeing any of this type of thing.
Also on the One Show the other night Julie Andrews of musical fame{the hills are alive} was talking of her wartime experience in London and said that she had sit in the garden near their shelter and if a Doodle Bug was heard  approaching in their direction she had to blow a whistle to warn the family so they could take shelter ,no mention of an air raid warning ??
I did mention in an earlier post that I thought that air raid warnings were not sounded for approaching doodle bugs because of the frequency of these attacks.
Regards Harry.I.

« Last Edit: 23 May, 2014, 07:56:06 PM by harry »

Offline smudger

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »
Peggytoof
Your photo's appear to be from the St Patricks that was on the carpenters estate Lett rd /Ward rd  there is a good 1948 view of the derelict school on Britain from above image ref EAW 020390 and the photo in front of the houses were the same type of houses with iron railings in the area at that time.So did your grandmother live in that area? nice photos
smudger

Offline peggytoof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Yes Smudger, I believe she lived in Ward road.Her family were born & bred in the area,Pimlico Walk being one of her family's former addresses,i believe most if not all of its gone now  :(

Offline chrisscales

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
Hi Peggy & Isabel et al,

Apologies for the slow reply, I didn't turn on notifications so had no idea you replied!

Thanks for the photos at St Patricks peggy: "I have no idea what senior school she attended and have no idea how to find out" - It is probably possible to find out, though not simple. The best way would be to make a list of the closest schools near to where she lived (Ward Road?), which you may have to contact Newham Archives to find out. You could also check her addresses using the electoral rolls there.

Then try to find out what the leaving age was for St Patricks, assuming it was just primary. That way you can estimate the start year for her secondary school. Then you would probably need to get in touch with the family history service at London Metropolitan Archives, as they hold most of the school registers. Unfortunately you cannot consult them yourself after 1914, so you have to pay them to do it and it's not cheap, but they should be able to search the relevant schools for the relevant years. Bear in mind though depending on the school the registers may not be with LMA. The school registers for St Joachims and St Bons, where my grandad went, were both not with LMA, I assume because they were Catholic schools and not connected to the London County Council when the registers were collected in the ?1960s. In this case you would have to contact the school direct, though again not all registers from that period have survived.

Isabel - I have attached the photo we have of St Joachims class in the late 20s. Sorry the quality is so low - the forum file limit is extremely low here, get in touch by PM if you'd like a better copy, or I will try to upload a better version somehow.

Many thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: 30 November, 2014, 12:30:47 PM by chrisscales »

Offline chrisscales

• View Profile
Re: School photos 1920s/1930s St Joachims
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Still looking for these, re-posting just in case...

Thanks
Chris

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
I was a pupil at ST  Joachims  before the war. I got evacuated  from their .. I remember the teachers were . Head Mistress fanny Oxley, & miss Cavanagh, miss Cavanagh was nice ,, but miss Oxley was  a right  old dragon,
Regards Ron

Offline danhicks

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »
Re home-made devices, me and my friend Arthur Lewin fixed a rope from beneath the top of Silvertown Viaduct and tied the other end to a fence on the 'debri' in Oriental Road. Hanging from a metal hook from the end of a barge pole (don't remember how we acquired that) we would slide down the rope. Obviously we got the approval of Health and Safety and this ride was more exciting than any ride in the average fun fare.

There is a famous photo of Winston Churchill (I think it's on Stan Dyson's Gallery) surveying the scene from roughly the spot where our descent began. It is claimed the shot was taken during the Blitz but I can reveal it was actually in the Fifties and he came down to have a go after news of our project reached Westminster.

We also had a raft on the Thames near Gallions Reach. This was actually a maintenance craft for use around the piers and  jetties but having commandeered it we would spend many happy hours riding the rollers created by passing vessels.

Offline chrisscales

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
Thanks Ron - you must have been in the same class as my grandad's brother Peter Wright (born 1932). He and grandad's other young siblings were all billeted in the Marlborough area, Wiltshire, near Hungerford, and they mostly stayed there afterwards not coming back to Canning Town.

Chris

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
HI Chris.
Yes born the same year ..I was  in Wiltshire as well. Great Bedwyn,, about five miles from Hungerford.
Regards Ron.