Author Topic: Italian families in Stratford/ West Ham - Lombardi, Gambadella, Brunt/Webb  (Read 5758 times)

Offline stellagirl

• View Profile
Hi

I'm researching some Italian families who lived in West Ham/ Stratford from about 1900 called Lombardi and also Gambadella.

I'm particularly interested in Enrico 'Harry' Lombardi who in 1911 lived on Abbey Lane with his family. He was a 'colour worker'.

His daughter Marguerite/ Margaret married George Brunt (Webb) in 1934 at Christ Church West Ham. Their marriage certificate says that they were both living on Gibbins Rd in Stratford.

His mother was Emily Maud Adams from Bow, who married Henry Brunt in 1903 in Dorset. Henry died in 1912. We haven't found Maud on the 1911 census but she turns up again in Stratford with a new family being born from 1913 - Frederick (1913), George (1914), Thomas (1915) and Herbert (1920). We believe that her partner was called William Webb but the new children all took her married surname. She had two children with Henry Brunt, called Archie and Ernest.

We understand that the Gambadella's had a shop in Stratford we think. Any information on them would be great too.

If anyone knew them, any information at all would be appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 30 January, 2014, 10:25:14 PM by stellagirl »

Offline kevin

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
I went to school with a Laurence Gambardella at South West HamTech in Barking Road he was a year below me so would have been born in 1953;a nice guy and a decent footballer too;

He was from the Ham Park Road area of Forest Gate near West Ham Park and Spotted Dog pub; I think he attended Park Primary School before the Tech; Also there are Gambardella people in the Hornchurch area here ;

my son is friends with one of them who would be in his mid twenties; I will enquire if there is a link to Forest Gate

I hope this is of interest to you;

Kevin

Offline stellagirl

• View Profile
Hi Kevin

Thanks so much for your message. I think they sound like exactly the right family. If your son could ask, that would be great!

Thank you! :)

Offline kevin

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
I don't know if Laurence is related to my Sons friend who is Billy; I will make enquiries for sure and get back to you ; unfortunately I lost contact with Laurence ; im presuming you are Stella?

regards

Kevin

Offline Linda Arenillas

• View Profile
Re: Italian families in Stratford/ West Ham - Lombardi, Gambadella, Brunt/Webb
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
My sister knew a Marguerita Brunt before she died, and is in contact with the grandchildren, I have passed on the information for them to decide whether to make further enquiries.

Offline Linda Arenillas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »
I should have added that Marguerita was Italian, and her son lived in the Newham area, so it  is a strong possibility they are the right family.

Offline Linda Arenillas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
I have now confirmed that Marguerita's maiden name was Lombardi. I have asked that the grandchildren join the Forum and communicate direct themselves should they wish to know more or be of help.

Offline gbwhu

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
I am pretty sure there was a barber called Gambadella down Bridge Road in Stratford in the 60's

Brenda B.

« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
Yes, there was a barber shop in Bridge Road.  There is a bit of info on this site which Poppyshow and others added in 2010.   If you go back to 'home' and use the search box - type in 'Gambadellas' (with an s) and you'll see the previous.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »
What about the name Comprini,ring any bells.
Regards Harry I.

Offline stellagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
I have now confirmed that Marguerita's maiden name was Lombardi. I have asked that the grandchildren join the Forum and communicate direct themselves should they wish to know more or be of help.

Hi Linda

Thanks for this. I'm not sure who you've been talking to as I am one of her grandkids! All but one of her children have passed and there has been minimal detail passed on about the history. I'm trying to establish more detail about the Lombardi's arrival in England at the beginning of the twentieth century, and their connection to the Gambardellas and Webbs. I know they were from Rome and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who knew more, or remembered them.

Many thanks for your assistance

Offline stellagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
What about the name Comprini,ring any bells.
Regards Harry I.

Hi Harry - it doesn't for me, so far. There's a lot of info on Italian families in Clerkenwell but not so much in Newham, as far as I'm aware. I'm sure it must have been a small, well-connected community though... Why do you ask? Do you know of a connection?
Many thanks

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
Hi Stellagirl there was a lad working at Charles Butterfield in Barking Essex who's name was Alfred Comprini he used to talk about Gambadellas as though they were relatives of his.
I also knew twins who's surname was Torino cousins of Harry Dodds.
Perhaps this may be of help Regards Harry.I.

Offline stellagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2014, 09:33:17 PM »
Hi Stellagirl there was a lad working at Charles Butterfield in Barking Essex who's name was Alfred Comprini he used to talk about Gambadellas as though they were relatives of his.
I also knew twins who's surname was Torino cousins of Harry Dodds.
Perhaps this may be of help Regards Harry.I.

That's great, thanks Harry. I haven't seen a connection yet but it will be really useful to keep in mind! I really appreciate it!

Offline mscoble

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »
hello my wife is a gambadella .her gt grandfather alfonso had a shop in custom hse,before that his father luigi had a confectioners in mount pleasant clerkenwell,alfonso sons were George,alfred,and Stanley,