Author Topic: The Good Old Days - The Winkle Man  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
The Good Old Days - The Winkle Man
« on: 11 October, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
I've just found two photos of the Winkle Man and his horse in Liddon Road, Plaistow, in the late 1950s.
Gercha!

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Old Days - The Winkle Man
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
And now 'is 'orse!!
Gercha!

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »
Mike,

I was a youngster in Abbey Lane, Stratford in the 1920s and 30s. Even then we had the winkle man shouting his wares on every Sunday afternoon. We called hin "the winkle man" but he also sold cockles, shrimps and whelks. He did a good trade, too, for Sunday tea in Abbey Lane. We usually had winkles and shrimps with lettuce, cheese and spring onions (when available) for Sunday tea. I preferred the shrimps but I can see my Dad now, fishing the winkles from their shells with a pin. We never had whelks because my parents doubted their health safety. In fact, I never tasted a whelk until recent years, when I bought some from Waitrose (I always trust their food products)but didn't think much of them. Large prawns are now my favourite in that line but I can't recall the winkle man selling them.

Bert.

Offline nostegram

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
Hi Bert,
We had the winkle man down Union Street every Sunday and dad would purchase winkle s, cockles, and whelks on the odd occasion. He would get us sitting at the old kitchen table and share out the winkles and arm us each with a pin.
Many years later I was walking on the beach at Chalkwell, the tide was out and all I could see on the sand were crabs and winkles, which were swept in with the tide and most were still alive. It was then and only then did I realise that winkles were a form of snail, how naive was I? Since that day I have not eaten another winkle as I hate snails.
Was Stone's the fish and chip shop in Abbey Lane when you lived there, also was Berts the paper shop at the corner of the street and the High Strret???Bob

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »
Yes, Bob, the fish and chip shop was there in my day, and, being the eldest of five children, I often volunteered to get in the queue at that fish shop for Friday's fish and chip dinner (we're all posh now and call it lunch). In those days it was a choice of cod, haddock or, the cheapest, rock salmon. My Dad wouldn't hear of rock salmon. He called it "Bloody catfish."

Looking back to those poverty-stricken pre-war days it was a measure of our latent beliefs that so many of us accepted the Christian practice of meatless Fridays and queued at the fish shop on Fridays.

There was, as in your decade, then a shop at the top of Abbey Lane on the Stratford side of the street. I can't recall if they sold newspapers. My Dad always read "The Daily Chronicle", later renamed "The News Chronicle", which was delivered by a newsagent on the High Street. (I don't know if that paper still exists for I have bought nothing but "The Guardian" for the past forty-odd years.)

Bert.

Offline nostegram

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Hello Bert,
Many thanks for your reply, most appreciated.
I can reliably inform you that the Daily Chronicle and News Chronicle no longer exist, nor too the Daily Sketch, the original Star, and the Reveille to name but a few, the same applies to magazines such as... Picture Post, London Ilustrated, T*t  Bits and Picturegoer, again just mentioning a few.
The newsagent I mentioned was on the left hand side of Abbey Lane, on the corner.
Turning right out of Abbey Lane onto the high street were a few shops, namely Ben's cafe, Farnworths the butchers and Simkins grocers. there were other shops there but the names escape me at present. Maybe these shops weren't there in your younger days?? Do you remember Christ church, on the corner of Union Street? I was a choir boy there in the the late 40's.
All the best Bert...Bob
« Last Edit: 15 November, 2008, 10:29:15 PM by Newham Story Admin »

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »
Thank you, Bob, for the info. I typed a reply to you a few evenings ago and then turned the air blue with expletives when, having pressed the "Post" button, I found that I had lost the message.

To recap, I think we are talking about the same newsagent at the top of Abbey Lane. It was opposite Goodman's timber yard. I believe a son from that shop was at Three Mills School with me.

Do I remember Chtist Church? I certainly do. From about the age of seven I went to Sunday School there. I have never forgotten the fine old teacher there. (Well, he was "old" to me then.) Also,I couldn't forget his unique name - Mr Farthing.

I also remember Farnworths the butchers and Simkins the grocers, where my Mum often shopped. From about the age of ten, armed with my Mum's shopping list, I would do her shopping at Simkins. Later, she gave me a free rein, when I would walk over to Crisp Street market and scout around to get Mum's shopping cheaper than at Simkins. She let me pocket what cash I had saved. She was a great Mum. Old Dad wasn't bad, either. I was the eldest of five children so got the baptism of fire in all respects, but I was the only one who did the shopping.

I hope this doesn't disappear when I click "Post".

Kindest regards,

Bert.

Offline nostegram

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
Hello Bert,
Many thanks for your interesting reply. Here are a few more facts for you....
Simkins also had a shop near the corner of Carpenters Road and the High Street, he also had a part of Christ Church (Halfway down Union Street) as his storage depot, this was circa 1949/52.
Christ Church was consecrated in May of 1852 and was then reunited with St Johns Church (Stratford) in 1952. The church then stood empty until 1975 when it was demolished.
As I have already mentioned, I was a choir boy at Christ Church between 1949 to 1951. At the time the vicar was Herbert Reseigh. The previous vicar was Thomas Henry Hollingdale, he was there from 1938 to 1948 then Mr Reseigh til 1952.
My mates and I often sat on the big green gates at the top of the church and watch the barrage balloon go up and down carrying soldiers (6 at a time) in a huge basket where one at a time they would jump out and open their parachutes The balloon was sited at Wanstead Flats, quiet a few miles away yet we could see the soldiers doing their jumps very clearly. We kids were in awe watching them.
I've attached a few photos of Christ Church, heres hoping you get them...Regards Bob

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
I ate a whelk once ,chewed it  for one and  a  half hours and there wasn,t a tooth mark in it !!! Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
The winkle man use to call around King George Ave Custom Hse most Sundays where winkles were a firm favourite.
We were always aware that his pint measure pot was badly dented so that it didn't hold a full pint.
But sleight of hand was typical of most street traders.
Ken

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »
Talking of Winkles ,young Michel Rous was presenting a dish on tv and on removing the Winkle from its shell he removed the soft end of the Winkle and discarded it explaining that that part was the intestine the rest being edible. When you consider that Winkles were bottom feeders you can see his point.!!There were signs on the beach at Shoeburyness explaining that any winkles taken from the foreshore had to be cooked using super heated steam to kill off any bacteria present . Knowing how filthy the river Thames was before the river was cleaned up with all the effluent that  was discharged into the Thames at that time you can see the point of super heated steam!!!. Obviously like most EastEnders I ate winkles only discarding the cap but did notice the next day you had tendency to fart!! A friend of mine would never eat Tomatoes after seeing them  grow in abundance  in the sewage works at  Dagenham .  Anyway enjoy your Sunday tea Regards Harry>i

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
Another firm favourite with my family was jellied eels & if doing some shopping at Aldgate, Tubby Issacs stall was always a stop off for a bowl of jellied eels. The stall was always surrounded ankle deep in bones, lunch times you had to join the queue.
You used to get 6 nice pieces in a thick jelly that you could stand your spoon in, yummy
Todays supermarket offerings are a very poor imitation.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »
Hi Ken There is a Tubby Issacks stall near the end of Clacton pier a franchise I believe!!.  The stall at Aldgate was the original and the best tasting by far.  Regards Harry .I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
Thanks Harry, Clacton was always a favourite sea side trip when I was in my motorcycle days, prior to NS.
Reggie Gane & Reg Talbot & myself would often have a weekend there & stay under canvas to save pennies.
I don't often move out of Dorset these days, Avon Beach near Mudeford is 5 minutes drive should I want a swim.
I do believe that Tubby Issacs at Aldgate has closed after 4 generations of Tubbies.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
A firm Saturday night favourite of mine after a fruitless pickup night at the Palais was calling in at the late night stall at the Brewery Tap Barking for hot Pigs trotters and chips yum yum . My missus and kids just can,t believe we used to eat that . Mr Ramsey and all he,s  tuppney appney mates don,t know what they were missing . , anyway it was safer than having a chinese and doing a runner , appy daze  All the best Ed