Author Topic: 1700 - Scenes from London Life - Maureen Waller  (Read 4350 times)

MBrennan

1700 - Scenes from London Life - Maureen Waller
« on: 15 July, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »
I have mentioned this book before, but couldn't remember the title. I was having a clearout and found it in a chest :)

OK so Newham didn't exist in 1700, but this gives an account of various aspects of what it was like to live in London back then. It has sections on living conditions, marriage, punishments, medical treatments etc. It isn't heavy going, nor is it sentimental - just a good read :)

I hope my reading glasses are up to it! :) - when I read it 10 years ago or so, I didn't even need glasses to read  :D

You can probably order it from the library - otherwise, on the Amazon link, to the right there is a button to order a used copy for £1.81including delivery.

Not many books I read again but this is on my 'to do' pile now :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1700-Scenes-London-Maureen-Waller/dp/0340739673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373918137&sr=1-1&keywords=1700+scenes+from+london+life

Offline linda c

• View Profile
Re: 1700 - Scenes from London Life - Maureen Waller
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
Thank you Mark for recommending this book which I have just ordered. It sounds very interesting and has very good reviews on Amazon.

During my family research I have found various parts of the family living in London in the 1700's before moving to East Ham, Manor Park and Forest Gate in latter years. So I'm sure this book will give an insight into how they were living at the time. I would think this could be the same for some of the other members of the Forum.

Linda

MBrennan

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2013, 12:15:27 AM »
No problem Linda :)

I love it - apart from the content, you can read a bit here & there as there is no story to follow. I am fascinated with old London. There is a great book about Samuel Pepys as well that I want to replace. I lost it when I was half way through it. In parts of London you can still feel the real old London. Amazing to think that St Mary Magdalene in East Ham was already an old church in 1700. There is an old graveyard in Moorgate where you can still read some of the inscriptions. One says the woman bravely went through 40 sessions of blood letting & leeching  :o - I'm sure it wasn't very nice for them but fascinating for us to read about  :D

Mark

« Last Edit: 16 July, 2013, 12:31:14 AM by MBrennan »

MBrennan

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
You can read a snippet from each chapter here http://www.questia.com/read/58656934/1700-scenes-from-london-life click where it says 'contents' and it lists the chapters. You can click on each one to read the first couple of paragraphs.

Mark

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
I have received a copy of the book from Amazon and am finding it very interesting. I particularly like the way each chapter is set out from marriage, childbirth, disease, fashion, crime and punishment etc so it is easy to pick out a chapter and doesn't have to be read in order.

It has definitely helped me visualise what life must have been like for the part of my family who lived in London in the 1700's before moving to the East End.

Linda

MBrennan

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
Glad you like it Linda :)

I have bought similar sounding books and found them quite heavy-going and (to me anyway) unreadable. I have read a few Peter Ackroyd books - also very enjoyable :) - this one also looks quite good http://www.amazon.co.uk/Londons-Docklands-History-Lost-Quarter/dp/0711033862/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

I just ordered a used copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Johnsons-London-Everyday-Century/dp/1842127292/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374364425&sr=1-1&keywords=dr+johnson%27s+london it looks as if it is written in a similar way to Maureen Waller's book.
« Last Edit: 21 July, 2013, 12:55:35 AM by MBrennan »

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »
Thanks Mark for those links. Will have a look at them.

Linda

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
Hi Mark,

having just read your comments on the book scenes from London life, which  has intrigued me as I too have always had a love of history, (ie) the great plague of London, the great fire of London, Samuel pepyes, and so on, such as the building of St Pauls, by Christopher wren, pioneers like basiljet, who over came the cleaning of the underground sewers, and sir Hugh Middleton who help solve the water problem bringing water to London, and so from the past there has been many clever, and talented  men and women who have pioneered our way of life, each adding a valuable contribution to a healthier, and better way of life,
which we take today  for granted, however I too have ordered this book, and I am eager to begin reading it,

many regards to you,

GEORGIAN,