Author Topic: Hallsville Road School 1940. bombing  (Read 9377 times)

Offline Gloria

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Hallsville Road School 1940. bombing
« on: 23 September, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
Hi to you all,
I have just found this new site after searching for the old one for ages.
Earlier this year I posted a message on the "old boared" regarding the story of a baby who was rescued from the devastation of the bombed school. This baby was handed to my mum who was working alongside the doctor ( mum was an ambulance driver). my mum was only 18 at the time and is now 87, she often wondered what happen to this baby. All she knew was tat the babies mother and grandmother were killed in the raid and she found out that the mother's name was Emily Smith of Martindale Road. After much research and help from various people I was told that the baby had died as was her sister and it was listed on War Graves site.
I had a lot of replies from the members of the old site, whom I hope are now members of this site.
On Friday 19Th September I received an e-mail from a lady who was try to help her mother locate her brother's and sister's. She had somehow seen my message about the above story. It turned out that her mother was the baby that my mum held all those years ago. SHE SURVIVED AND SO DID HER SISTER. The children were all separated during the war and the baby, who's name was Rose Marie was living near the Greengate, a stone's throw from where my mum lived, and where I was born.
We have exchanged a few e-mails and I have told her what my mum remember's about that terrible day. Today I told my mum the wonderful news about the baby surviving  and that Rose is now 68 years old. My mum burst into tears, but was so happy to think that she had survived. I just wanted to share this story with you all.
Regards, Gloria

Offline Lia

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: Hallsville Road School 1940. bombing
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
Hi all, My name is Lia & yes that baby is my mum. We are looking for the rest of the Smith family who originate from 17 Martindale Rd. Custom House, West Ham, which is where my Nan & Grandad lived Albert (aka Alec) & Emily Smith (NEE Croft )up till the 1940 Bombings. The children's names were, Alec,Johnny, Tom, Emily, Sara (aka Sally), Marigold & Baby Rose Marie(My Mum). We knew that in the forties some or all of the girls were living at Marlmsbury Road while my mum lived with the Eagle family at 10 More Close on the new Kier Hardy estate. Does anybody know what happened to them or their children. Are you descendants of the Smith family, or the croft family that come from Canning Town or did you know any of them. We are desperate to find the family as my mum is 68 now & this will properly be the last chance she has to find out. So if you know anything at all no matter how insignificant it may seem please let me know. You can  email me direct curlybubble1940@yahoo.co.UK
Many thanks Lia

Offline Sheila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
Gloria, I remember reading your story on the old site, how sad it was that those two children may have died, and now seeing the happy ending and that your Mum now knows is great.
Sheila.

Offline VEW27

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
Hello Gloria.
Not sure if you're still interested in the South Hallsville bombing story but I have only just found the Forum. I have a little bit more to add to your's and Lia's postings.
Emily Smith and her mother, Mary Croft,  were next door neighbours in Martindale Rd, Custom House. They, together with Emily's children- Tommy, Alec, Johnny, Elsie, Sarah, Marigold and Rose Marie ( the baby who your mum held) gathered in the school for safety before being evacuated to Devon. What irony that they and many families gathered for safety.
All the boys, Elsie and Sarah were put on the coach to Devon and their mum said that they were to stay together, look after one another and that she'd see them soon.....
Your mum has told you about the baby, Rose Marie. Rose Marie was my auntie who has sadly just passed away. Thankfully, she found her eldest sister, Elsie, who is my mum. My mum, at only 7 years old, looked after her sister Sarah in Devon. Her brothers stayed elsewhere but always tried to run away!
My grandad was in the merchant navy during and after the war, and didn't have a home for all the children as it was bombed. No Social Services intervention in those days, so my granddad found different homes for them with different families- hence the life long separation. Rose had a happy life, and my mum continues to live happily in Stratford. How awful war is and how it shatters lives.
Thank you for posting the story of your mum- I shall tell my mum later! Thank you!

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
View 27,
If you look at Home menu and go to nostalgia and Newham memories, scrool down to On this day, and it covers the link you mentioned. My Grandparents and aunt were the Evans living at no 18 Martindale Rd. I have tried everywhere to obtain a picture of Martindale rd before the bombing even Stratford Archives but no luck, i just remember the skeleton roads,
My mum Rosina Evans was born at no 2 , cant work that one out as my family were still at no 18.

All the best, and welcome to the site     Ed

Offline VEW27

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:15:15 PM »
Hello Ed,
Thanks for your update- I spoke to mum but at was only 7 at the time, so she can't quite remember names of all the neighbours - only that Kenny Lynch lived down her road! When he used to be on the telly with Jimmy Tarbuck, he suddenly became one of mum's best friends! ( her claim to fame!).
 I'll try and see if I can dig out any pictures of Martindale Rd and share with you. Funny that your family lived there too- and funnier that your mum was born down the road a bit!
Thanks also for the welcome. I spent near enough all day on this site yesterday reading through- it's so interesting.My daughter thinks that I have signed up to Facebook at last!
 I am a Stratford girl (well, I say girl) myself but know the borough quite well. Now when I remember bits and pieces , I can share. I practically live in the past and love this site. I hope I'll be able to think of something of interest to the members (hoping of course that it hasn't been said before) - or at least chip in sometimes with others.
Anyway, thanks again Ed.

MBrennan

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
Kenny Lynch's cousin was my football/games teacher when I was at Mayfield school in Goodmayes in the early 70s. I guess the whole family were from the area. I don't know what his first name was - he was just Mr Lynch :)

Mark

Offline Gloria

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »
To the lady who posted about Hallsville School on 23re Sept '13
My mum would have been so pleased to hear that the children from the Smith family survived that terrible raid. Sadly my mum died on 14th January 2011 one week after her 89th birthday.
That dreadful night haunted my mum all her life, she never forgot what carnage she saw and of course always mention the baby that was put into her arms.
Say hello to Elsie.
Regards Gloria

Offline Nan74

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
My Friend Lily Westell was born at 14 Martindale Road her nan was Louise Tapfield her Lily's cousin was one of the survivours can anyone tell me what newspaper had the picture of Louise Tapfield and details of the disaster Rose Scofield was in the paper
Nan 74

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »
Kenny Lynch's cousin was my football/games teacher when I was at Mayfield school in Goodmayes in the early 70s. I guess the whole family were from the area. I don't know what his first name was - he was just Mr Lynch :)

Mark
I think his name was Billy Lynch.
Did you know that Kenny's sister was  Maxine Danials, a great jazz/blues singer. She was very popular amongst the trad jazz fans of slightly mature years.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
Nan 74,
Hi, as I've mentioned in an earlier post my Mum's Mum& Dad and younger sister were killed in that bombing and it will always be remembered in our large family especially in September. Sadly my last link with this event went in 2012 when Jim Evans my uncle died ,he very nearly died in the school had it not been for my Gran telling him to go to my Mums that evening and also a couple of girl cousins were also collected from the School and takento other relations.
Your mention of Tapfield's I said in another post that I remember him when I worked in the Docks , he used to tell me about the school bombing and the terrible sights he saw. He gave an interview with th e " Stratford " shortly afterwards and is still viewerable in the Newham Archives Stratford . A few years ago Channell 4 I think did a documentry on the bombing I did have a d.v.d on it but lent it out and never got it back.
All the best Ed

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
To the members on here like me who have associations with the Hallsville School Bombing it will be 74 years tomorrow 10 sept 1940 ,

Gone but not forgotten.

Regards Ed

Offline Michikels

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »
Hello Nan74

My mum was born in 14 Martindale Road too & is still alive (and has all her marbles) I was brought up on the stories of wartime London & Granny Bruford/Tapfield is my great gran! I have information about the newspaper you are looking for I think. And lots more
Look forward to hearing from you!

Michi Kels

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 February, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
Hello Michikels and Welcome to the Forum.

I noticed on Nan74's profile that she hasn't been on the Forum since April 2014. She does however have an email address underneath her user name. If you click on the envelope you will be able to send her an email.

I do hope you manage to contact her so that you can swap stories.

Best Wishes
Linda

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
Michikels, thanks for your post I have sent you a Personal Message ,

A