Author Topic: HISTORICAL NEWHAM PRODUCTS THAT WENT WORLD WIDE? -- add a few  (Read 4542 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Jeyes--toilet rolls, disinfectant
Lamson Paragon--Cont. Stationery
Bards --Jellies
Yardley' Lavender water
Tate and Lyles--Sugar/syrup

MBrennan

Re: HISTORICAL NEWHAM PRODUCTS THAT WENT WORLD WIDE? -- add a few
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
Not sure about this one, but how about Mattessons?

I know they are (or were the last time I heard) based in West Ham. Can anyone recognise the market in the photo?
http://www.mattessons.co.uk/?page_id=15

Mark

Offline jem45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
That looks like roman road market to me mark i seem to remember that building in background were flats. Could be wrong  :-\
Jayne

Smile at someone everyday life is too short to be miserable.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I remember that Mattesson's used to have premises in Stratford, on the corner of Jansen Rd and Leytonstone Road. Lots of their vehicles would be parked inside a large garage there. Not sure if they also did manufactoring in these premises.

Alan

Offline jem45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
Nellanhoj

The biggest and best Newham product that went world wide? The people! No matter where you go in the world you will bump into a Londoner/eastender/cockney whatever you want to call us, we get everywhere!! With our mixed ingredients of humour, kindness, friendliness, feistiness, British bulldog determination, welcome open arms to new people and good memories ( as proved on this site) we should be packaged up and given the royal seal of approval!!  ;)
Every county/town/city in this country's best export are its people with a few rotten apples but will shall ignore them!! We should be proud  :)

Oh not forgetting pie and mash  ;)  :D :D :D
Jayne

Smile at someone everyday life is too short to be miserable.

MBrennan

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »
Jeyes--toilet rolls, disinfectant

Tracing paper  ;D

Not forgetting Trebor.

PS - I remember Mattessons being next to West Ham tube station. Always made me hungry on the way home from work. I loved their liver sausage - hard to find now.
« Last Edit: 17 March, 2013, 10:01:28 AM by MBrennan »

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »

A Few More

John Knights  (Knights Castle)

Keillers (Jams & Marmalade)

Crosse & Blackwell (Pickles)

Lesneys  ( Matchbox  Toys& Cars)

Henleys Cables,whose cables span the Ocean beds all over the world

ALF.

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
how about lee cooper jeans and workwear!
another one moves from london!

MBrennan

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
I googled it as I assumed it was an American company like Levi Strauss. According to their website, the business started in premises in Middlesex Street, Aldgate (sweatshop no doubt  ;) ) and relocated to Stratford. when they expanded.

Mark

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

Mark
About 1937/8, I cannot imagine why but Mum & I went down by the side of Woolworths (Gardner's Corner) Aldgate

It was a very cold and mirky evening and I remember holding Mums hand tight and ended up in the back streets with no street lighting in those days and  looking back now this would have been ideal places for Sweat Shops.  There were a few persons making there way somewhere and almost shuffling along, looking very hard worked you know the head bowed look. The buildings were black and any lighting at all was dim as dim. There seemed to be a constant noise of machinery but soft and not industrial.
This area has always stayed in my memory as it was so bleak and I have no idea what we were doing there.
When I did ask Mum once many years later she could not remember bless her.

Then low and behold on the other side of the Road round a corner there  was a not too small a Sweet Shop lit up like a Christmas Tree  with beautiful bottles and jars and boxes of Chocolates such as I have never seen adorned with Ribbons & the like.
Mum gave me a penny and when I went in the man instantly knew I was not there for a Box Of Chocs. but proceeded to give me a bar of Fry's Chocolate which I am sure would have cost more than 1d.

What memories of some peoples kindness and I cannot even say where it was or his name but I always to Mum referred to him as Mr.Aldgate.

Just a vague memoery - Louise

MBrennan

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
Hi Louise,

I think there used to be a lot of those type of garment places in & around Aldgate. Not sure about now, but they still existed in the 70s. One of my part-time jobs when I was at school was working on a jewellery stall in Middlesex Street on Sundays. The stall was outside Kossoff's Jewish bakery. We used to set up around 7am and the bakery was already open. The lady used to ask me to lift a tray of Cheesecake from a trolley onto the counter and would give me 1/4lb of cheesecake just for doing that  :D - she always said it was too heavy for her, but she was probably just being nice  :) (despite stereotypes, all the Jewish people I have ever known have always been generous - especially with food & treats :) )

It's funny how little gestures of generosity are remembered. There used to be an old-fashioned grocers on the corner of High St. South and Norman Road, called Mead's. They would often give us kids a sweet or two if we were in there with my mum when she was buying her ham etc :) - once I had decided to do some gardening. I bought a packet of seeds with my pocket money once and another week I chose 2 bulbs. Mr Mead said I wouldn't have much of a garden with just 2 so he gave me about a dozen for my 6d or shilling or whatever it was I had :)

Mark

PS - Louise, a per usual, your description conjures up a clear image. You really do have a gift  :) - that one reminded me of an excellent book I read a couple of years ago, called Bleeding Heart Square, by Andrew Taylor (set in 1934), one of the parts in the book was about a little tobacconists shop where the owner would rub & mix the tobacco for the customers. It is a very good book if you like stories set in London's past, although parts of it are quite harrowing (Moseley's heavies beating people up etc.   :-\ )
« Last Edit: 28 March, 2013, 05:33:10 PM by MBrennan »

Offline JOHNL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »
Hi, i forgot the tonic sol-fa system invented by john curwen in the 1840,s.although not a tangible product I think it worth a mention.
another one moves from london!

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
Shipbuilding. Definitely has gone worldwide!

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

Mark - Thank You
for your lovely post including the compliment.

Two things ever since posting that experience of  being in that part of the world with Mum and not knowing why
has come back often and the memory of the dark and dreary (Like the Black-Hole of Calcutta) as my Grandma
used to say.  Gives me a shiver.  And not forgetting the kindness of that Shopkeeper with the posh Chocs.

The next one came with a realy good laugh and I mean a good one, it was you mentioning that wonderful book  you had read called Bleeding Heart Square as more than once I have finished a topic and I have thought those
Posters out there who do not know anything about me will think I am a real old "Saddo" as my stories always seem to be that way inclined.( eg: THe Dolly in her wooden Coffin) I am sitting here still laughing to my-self.
I can only put it down to the times I am posting about, as I realy am not like a "Saddo" as you can tell by the laugh this post gave me.

Thank You all for letting me share in the NEWHAM FORUM and your memories.

Louise.

MBrennan

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2013, 09:20:14 PM »
I'm sure nobody thinks you are a saddo Louise  :D

You tell all kinds of stories - some happy, some sad, all interesting  :)

I know you also have long chats with Joe over the phone  ;)

Mark