Author Topic: Scared Stiff  (Read 1477 times)

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
Scared Stiff
« on: 09 March, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
    I shall never forget being about 7/8 yrs. old, I believe living in Alnwick Road.
    Mum and I had been discussing something or the other what I wanted to do I suppose and whatever
    it was she had said no, and after trying hard to persuade her it was still no.

I got a real "hump" on and when she went out the scullery door to the back yard with some washing
    to put on the line  I shut the door and bolted it.

Realising what I had done instead of going back and opening the door I picked up my heels and run
    for my life all round those back streets and once looking behind me saw Mum coming after me.
    This terrified me even more as we had never had a situation like this before with us running through the streets.

Mum when realising what I had done shouted over the fence to the lady next door who went round to our house and
    through the ever open door as was practise in those days and unbolted the scullery door to let Mum in.
    It was at this point MUM started to come after me as she was so angry and humiliated by what I had done.

She stopped persuing me and went home.  I just stood on the street corner like a scared Rabbit just crying and wanting to go home. but too scared as I thought of what I was in for. 

The strangest part of this story is I cannot remember what happened at the end, probably just got told my Father would be told on his next leave and that was enough for me.
Louise

MBrennan

Re: Scared Stiff
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »
Another great story Louise - so descriptive, I could picture the scene. I bet you were a little bleeder at times  :D (but an angel most of it  ;) )

I can picture my dad saying to me "Gert you little bleeder"  :D (and I was  :-[ )

"Just you wait til your father gets home" was often enough to put an end to things - although I don't think I was ever hit other than a slapped leg - unlike my mum who said she felt her stomach go when she saw her dad taking the strop  off its hook  :'(

I had a look at Alnwick Road on Googlemaps but it is just flats now - you would never imagine there was another world there in the past.  :'(

Mark
« Last Edit: 10 March, 2013, 01:05:41 AM by MBrennan »

Offline GeoffM

• View Profile
Re: Scared Stiff
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
Mark

Although they are all flats now in Alnwick Rd I do know that a lot of the residents that moved into them came from the surrounding roads Leyes, Royal, Baxter & Prince of Wales Rd so they didn't move very far.

Geoff