Author Topic: Rathbone Market  (Read 7906 times)

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
Re: Rathbone Market
« Reply #30 on: 23 February, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »

Will.B

Thank you for clearing up those little matters re the "Pats"

Hope I can eventualy get the book as it sounds very good.

Louise

MBrennan

« Reply #31 on: 18 March, 2013, 12:06:09 AM »
http://newhamcommunityobituary.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/rathbone-market/

Offline DaveFennessy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 March, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
My wife and I sat in McDonalds in Canning Town last year and as we enjoyed our processed beefburgers we couldn't help but be drawn by the flat above the corner on Hermit Road. It was for rent and out the window flapped the most cigarette smoke discoloured torn net curtain you could ever imagine could exist. That I said to my wife sums Canning Town up for me for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't care if the penthouse was £7.50, I wouldn't want to live there!   

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
Dave,
Hold up,I had an appointment at University College Hospital this week, and I'm sure I saw the same net curtain hanging out of a window in Tottenham Court Rd , and that's a bit more up market then Canning Town.

Ed

Offline russe

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 June, 2013, 12:20:32 AM »

hi to all you true canning townies,
                                                  probably being older than most on here. OLD Rathbone st. market brings back many memories.
   I remember going to Clarkson st. infants school, living in fox st. as I did, I was in the heart of the market. I have many memories of some stall holders and shops I used to wander in and out of. all I can remember at the top of the market was the huge building as I see it at the time of the library (poss. town hall). A.T.B. Russe.

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 June, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
You are referring to Canning Town Hall, where Keir Hardy made some of his most famous Speeches, along with the likes of Eleanor Marx, Tom Mann, John Burns (yes the man the Woolwich Ferry is named after)  and many a Union leaders, especially Will Thorne.

In 1889 the lives of the workers at Beckton as with other Gas works was very poor, a 12-hour day, 7 days a week, with the associated dangers of the job, led to Industrial unrest.

GLCC begun to lay off some of the Workforce.

Will Thorne came from Birmingham, and had begun working at Beckton in 1882.

He became a member of the SDF (Social Democratic Federation), a forerunner of the Labour Party.

Because of the problems at Beckton, he, along with Ben Tillett (one of the founders of the Labour Party) & William Byford formed a three-man committee.

From this committee the National Union of Gas Workers and General Labours were formed.

He made a speech at Canning Town Hall in the Barking Road.
Supporting him were Eleanor Marx (daughter of Karl Marx), John Burns and Tom Mann.
(Burns and Mann, along with Ben Tillett, had organised the 1889 Docks strike, known as the Dockers `Tanner` Strike)

A part of Will Thorns speech has gone down in History.

“The way you have been treated in your work for many years is scandalous, brutal and inhuman. I pledge my word that, if you will stand firm and don’t waver, within six months we will claim and win the eight-hour day, a six-day week and the abolition of the present slave-driving methods in vogue not only at the Beckton Gas Works, but all over the country.”

After this speech, 800 workers joined the new union on the first day, and with-in a month another 3000 had joined.

Will Thorn was true to his word; He took on the GLCC management, and cut down the working day with out any strike being called.

Will Thorn went on to greater things, He represented West Ham in Parliament in 1906, become Mayor of West Ham 1917-18, and represent Plaistow in Parliament from 1918 until he retired at the 1945 General Election.

The Union became the General Municipal Boilermakers and Allied Trades Union, and is known today as the GMB.

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 June, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
A T B Russe,
Just found your post re: Canning Townies, I am proud to say I was one of them after being brought up from Custom House where I was born.
We lived off of Ordnanced Road, and Grandma was then living in Hermit Road over the top of a very
old Green-Grocer shop (Talk about health and safety) if my memory serves me well his name was Bill.
Rathbone Street was a paradise for us kids and when I went shopping with Grandma it was magical the things we bought such as, ROCK Tabioca from a wonderful shop half way down and on a corner.
Dried Peas, Pearl Barley,Dried Prunes and Fruit for her cakes, and then further on to the Greengrocer for her POT HERBS (Stew Veg's), Raw Horseradish for her Sauce, and always a William Pear for my Dad if he was home on shore leave.
The Butchers were right down the bottom end and her being a very CHEERY lady would say things like and none of those Mouth Organ Chops I had last week (never have worked out what these were ???
The Big Building was the Town Hall as my Step-Grandfather went there to draw his RNIB Pension once a month. It was like a real day out going with Gran&Grandad to the big building.
Grandma would then go and get all the shopping mentioned above and I would have a Pie & Mash and Gran a basin of Eels.

Can you remember the old Canning Town Station being bombed in approx.1935/6. just before they built the Imperial Picture Palace right opposite.
I was about five and Cambridge won the Boat Race.????

When I went to Rathbone Street with my Dear Mum it was a different story it would be to purchase off the Second Hand Lady (who knew us well) a dress or something for school. (I hated every minute of it and swore this would never happen to my Children and I am glad to say it did not).

Went to Hermit Road School and enjoyed every moment of it with a bottle of milk and warmth it was heaven.

An Antique Canning Town Gran.
 Louise.

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 June, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
Can somebody tell me please when The Old Rathbone Street Market was first established I have tried looking on the Newham story but can only find references to the later one?.
My Father was born at 19 Fox Street in 1905 and when Mum and I use to go down there in the 1930s it seemed a rather overcrowded  area then so I can well imagine what it was like when Dad was born, yes we had our pie and mash at Mrs Olleys and Sarsaparilla and shopped at Bacon Bills and one of my Uncles use to run a fruit stall just by the "Flying Scud" and just like Louise we have worn second hand clothers from the second hand lady, my secret dread was always that Mum would get a pair of girls shoes and try to convince me they were boys and sending me to school in them, I'm happy to say she never did.
Was Canning town Station bombed in 1935/36 ? if so who bombed it?

Ring a ring a roses as the light declines I remember West Ham fondly in the Rare old Times.
« Last Edit: 20 June, 2013, 09:46:47 PM by Will.B »

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 June, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Hi Will

I managed to find out that the market dates back to 1253 and a Charter signed by King Henry lll promising a Wednesday market in West Ham 'forever'. By the 1880's this had crystallised into a group of street traders based on Victoria Dock Road.

After tram lines were put in the Council persuaded them to move to a site on Rathbone Street. It was fully established in 1911 and it stretched in length for nearly a quarter of a mile.

The market moved to it's present site in 1963.

Below is a photo of Rathbone Market in 1925     Linda

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
Linda & Mum
I missed your great Photograph of the 1925 Rathbone Market, but have seen it now with interest

My first sightings would have been 1935/9, and Linda it is so strange I remembered it as much
wider than that and certainly not as untidy with rubbish. (Giving credit it may have been the end of a busy day).  With a child's eye everything looks bigger and cleaner don't you agree.?

I am as sure as one could be after all these years that where that Grocers Shop is, which has
the man and woman looking in the window has an empty stall outside and that is where Mum
would buy my much needed clothing,.
Like the Dress in winter with short sleeves so I had to wear a jumper underneath that
probably came from the same "Buotique"

I am glad to say I do not think my dear Mum thought much about it as it was the custom in those days for 100 's of families.
I certainly made sure my children never had that humiliation of standing having clothing tried on in the middle of Rathbone Street. (or similar place).

Great Photo so Thank You - Louise.

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 July, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »

I knew I should have looked Boutique up in the dictionary first.

Louise.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
Hi Louise

I'm so pleased that the photo brought back memories for you of Rathbone Market, particularly  the stall outside the grocers shop. As you say everything does seem much bigger and cleaner to a child's eye.

I'm sure it must have been so hard to feed and clothe the children in the past and I would imagine the stalls such as the one in Rathbone Market were in high demand.

By the way Louise, I sent you a private message a couple of weeks ago and I wondered if it reached you. If when you click on "My Messages" at top of the home page it isn't there I'll send it again.

Best Wishes
Linda

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 July, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »
Dear Linda,
I certainly did receive your personal letter re "Calling Nurse Millie", and told you
that I have no objections to anybody posting to me it is great to receive and this I told in my return post to you within hours.

I have just found it still loitering in my SENT BOX,??? so goodness knows what mistake I made answering straight off the back of your post when received.
What you pointed out this morning re going to MY Messages I knew nothing of that and found quite a nice surprise.  Apologies and I might discover what I done wrong one day when I least expect it.

As explained receiving your post Friday/Sat I would phone my dear delivery Lady Lynn on the Monday Morning and ask her to bring  CNM if possible.  This Friday is her delivery week so if she has it in Audio Form or Printed Book she will bring them. If the print is big enough on the page, sometimes I can get the gist of
the story and then enjoy it in full with the Audio.  It is usualy easier for her to obtain Books than  Audios.

Hope you can understand my garbled message and must stress your personal EM was received with great pleasure.
Hope you are both okey dokey - Regards Louise. x

PS
  Linda I am dying to tell somebody that my dear Grandaughter Lorna Louise who at present is working in America looking after American children in a Holiday Village. Texted me at 9.0am to say she had passed her University Exams with
very high grades and she was so excited she was dancing like "GRAN" does when she gets excited. (She is studying Criminal Law)
I am so very very proud of her.

Thanks for listening - Regards Louise.
will advise if Book or Audio turns up to-morrow.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 July, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »
Hi Louise

So glad you got my message and hope you manage to order the book ok. Mum is so proud that she could help with the research.

What a wonderful achievement for Lorna Louise to have passed her University exams. You all must be so proud of her.

Lovely to hear from you
Best wishes
Linda

Offline nan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 July, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
linda,you mentioned to louise about ,my messages,
can you tell me where that is on the laptop,please.
i dont know if it is me or what,but i cannot see it.
hope you dont think i am stupid.
sorry to bother you,
nan .