Author Topic: 'Fortune Teller'  (Read 1482 times)

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
'Fortune Teller'
« on: 30 December, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »
Chatting to my niece on the telephone over Christmas, she mentioned that she once had her fortune told by a lady in Rathbone  street market. She said the lady 'was Indian with black hair and olive skin', and was very accurate in her predictions. This would have been in the early 50's. I can't remember seeing this lady myself. Does anyone remember her and what 'name' she was known by?

Alan

Offline GeoffM

• View Profile
Re: 'Fortune Teller'
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
Hi Alan

Yes I remember her although never ever heard her name mentioned, one of her pitches was just by Benny Ranns the butchers which was next door to Mrs Olleys Pie & Mash Shop also remember her exactly as your niece described her with the addition that she always seemed to be wearing a long beige coloured coat.

GeoffM

Offline twins260

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
 :DI Remember her she told my mums fortune in 1959 and everything she told was true,she aske for my mums wedding ring, and started telling her fortune, she charged 2 Shillings.

MBrennan

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
I 'googled' to see if there was any mention of her. She is mentioned in one of Gilda O'Neill's books but no name or other info given.

I wonder if she was Romany but remembered as being Indian?

Mark

« Last Edit: 06 January, 2013, 05:07:23 PM by MBrennan »

MBrennan

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
  she told my mums fortune in 1959 and everything she told was true

So your mum really did meet a tall, dark, handsome stranger  :D