Author Topic: Peggy O'Farrells Dance Troup "Tiny Tappers" 1938  (Read 10706 times)

Offline Anniejasmine

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Peggy O'Farrells Dance Troup "Tiny Tappers" 1938
« on: 08 September, 2008, 07:04:45 PM »
Please can anyone help? I am trying to get my hands on some old photos for my elderly mother in law Lillian (Babs) Harrison. She is 82 years of age and worked all through the war touring various towns and cities with the Peggy O'Farrell Dance School which I believe was based in the Cinema in Canning Town?  Her tap dance troup were called the tiny tappers and they supported Max Miller and many other famous acts of the day including The Water Show at Earls Court with the Tarzen man (Johny Weis...?). I am getting together a memories book for her and would love to get some copies of the old school/ performances or old pics of any other tiny tappers out there. Any help appreciated. many thanks.

Offline billyboyo

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Re: Peggy O'Farrells Dance Troup "Tiny Tappers" 1938
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
Annie, I have some memories of Peggy O'Farrell, I joined in with one of her dance classes around about 1949/1950. I was then at Faraday secondary school not far from the Becton road and interested in boxing. I had read somwhere that Joe Louis the heaveight boxer had at one time attended dance classes to improve his skills and balance, so I thought what was good enough for the world champion should be good enough for me. She had started a class in a church hall on the Becton road opposite the park. I was able to get into the hall from what I think was called Chadwin Road. I attended the class for a while learning tap dance. She became friendly with my mother who was a seamstress and had her make many of her costumes. I know that she eventually  linked up with the Theatre Royale Stratford. Bill Ewing.
Born in custom house canning town, bombed out twice, moved to denmark street where i went to denmark street school.

Offline Anniejasmine

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:48:56 PM »
 :)Thank you for your reply Bill, I am sure it will help me find some more info. I dont suppose you have any photo's of the dance school/performance etc? how interesting about the boxing connection. My mother in law was also related to a boxer during that time - one of her aunts had a baby who came out half black and he went on to become quite a well known local boxer.

Offline billyboyo

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
Sorry Annie, no pictures I'm afraid. What was the black boxers name? Bill Ewing
Born in custom house canning town, bombed out twice, moved to denmark street where i went to denmark street school.

Offline JLGooding

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2013, 08:30:56 PM »
Hi,
I purchased this Real Photographic Postcard a couple of years ago and it probably dates from the 1930's.
It is titled:
PEGGY O'FARRELL - PRESENTS THE -
            20 TINY TAPPAS

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
J L Gooding,
Nice to see some people read posts from nearly 5 years ago well done , and a lovely snap as well.
 All the best Ed

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
The dance school used to meet in the Church Hall alongside St Cedd's Church in the Beckton Road. It then moved to the Church Hall alongside Trinity Church on the Barking Road. Although Trinity Church  was wrecked in the Blitz, the hall itself survived, just. I remember as a small boy, being taken by an older Sister to see one of their shows presented at the hall. Obviously my Sister did not understand small boys, in that they did not want to sit still watching a bunch of girls dancing on stage. I was bored after about 2 minutes, and could not wait to get home. To be fair, I had just broken my arm playing football, and she thought that this would cheer me up.
Memories of childhood eh!

Alan

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
There is reference to Peggy Farrell's Dance Troupe on the Newham Story A-Z. The photo below shows her pupils at a fund raising concert on 20th April 1940 at Canning Town. It was in aid of West Ham's Mayoress's Crusade for War Charities.

I wonder if any of the Tiny Tappers may be in the photo.

Linda

Offline jaelby

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
Hi, have just seen this site and wondered if anyone knew my mum Ivy Firmin who joined the tiny tappper in about 1933-34 aged 4 or 5 and then went on to travel  in shows with them aged 12. She was also in a film called 'The Chorus girls' (I think thats the name) which I am trying to find out about. Does anyone know about this film?

Offline jaelby

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
Just realised when I wrote my post re Ivy Firmin in Peggy O'Farrells Tiny Tappers, I should have wrote Ivy Knight (maiden name) now Ivy Firmin. What an idiot I am lol.

Offline lyn

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
My mum Irene (dolly) Randall and her friend Joycey Dandy both went to Peggy's, in the '30's wonder if anyone remembers either of them.