Author Topic: East Ham Palais de Danse - anyone know where it was?  (Read 24850 times)

MBrennan

East Ham Palais de Danse - anyone know where it was?
« on: 07 October, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/9ueh23a

Just curious.

They certainly were pretentious back then  :D - funny how they also called standard Victorian houses 'Villas'  :D

Mark
« Last Edit: 07 October, 2012, 07:03:33 PM by MBrennan »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: East Ham Palais de Danse - anyone know where it was?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »
Mark

Until your post I had never heard of the East Ham Palais de Dance amd that is despite living in Manor Park for close on 40 years.  From info on Google it seems that the building was well used prior to the 2nd World War as there are references to Dance evenings as well as Boxing Tournaments taking place there.

There do not appear to be any references to the building during the Post War period and therefore it is possible that it suffered damage during the war and may have been demolished. On the other hand it may have been housed in a "secondary" building on the Town Hall site,

Like you I would certainly be interested to learn of its location.

Doug

Offline MrRe

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »
I wonder if it was the Town Hall main swimming pool. They used to board over the pool. Looks like you can just make out the balcony.

MBrennan

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
I think you could both be right about it being in the town hall. It does look like quite an ornate building. There seem to be quite a few references to it but none mention an address. Most of the references are about boxing, with a couple about dancing and jazz - all seem to be from the 1920s & 1930s.

Also another photo.

Mark

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/cigarette-night-at-the-east-ham-palais-de-dance-people-are-news-photo/2636289

Offline MrRe

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
A lot of the boxing references also mention the Romford Road baths. I am pretty sure they used to board that as well. If you have been there the first thing that strikes you is that there is a (or was) a stage at one end!
There are/were a few meeting rooms in the Town Hall upstairs and there must be another larger hall as I remember going to see Tony Benn give a speech during the miners strike. That was on the Barking Rd side as I recall. It did have a balcony but it was at one end rather than all around.
Perhaps this Palais de dance title was as you say a gran way for sticking some planks over a pool. Today it would be called branding! Seems to have been quite a few around back then.

MBrennan

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
I used to go to East Ham baths a lot when I was a kid but can't remember much about it other than it being really old-fashioned with chipped and cracked tiles. I never did learn to swim  :D - what I do remember is when decimal first came out, you could get a slice of bread and butter in the cafe there for 1p or a buttered crust for 1/2p  :D - years later my aunt Brenda taught advanced swimming (beyond lifesaving).

I was more of a reader and was always in the library at the town hall  :)

Mark

PS - If your idea is correct, it certainly would have been a sprung floor with a difference!  :D
« Last Edit: 07 October, 2012, 10:50:15 PM by MBrennan »

Offline MrRe

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
Funny you should mention that as thats why its sticks in my mind. They did what? Stuck a few boards over the deep end! Wonder if they left the water in or not!
Guess we will have to wait for some of the more Senior members to comment!

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2012, 01:22:58 AM »
Funny you should mention that as thats why its sticks in my mind. They did what? Stuck a few boards over the deep end! Wonder if they left the water in or not!
Guess we will have to wait for some of the more Senior members to comment!

When I was a councillor in Waltham Forest, there was a technical report about refilling the then newly refurbish Leyton Swimming Baths. Apparently due to the weight of the water over such a large area, large swimming pools cannot be filled up quickly as the sudden impact of such a large weight can cause the floor and walls to distort. Apparently it is done over a period of time to allow the stresses to balance out before adding more water. The same is also true if all the water was suddenly released. Such a large expanse of water is expensive too plus the problem that it takes a long time to heat up even to the relatively low temperatures in public baths.

For all the above reasons I would guess the pool was not emptied when it needed to be boarded over for a public event.
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2012, 01:01:20 PM by MickG »

MBrennan

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »
That all makes a lot of sense Mick. I suppose a full-size swimming pool must hold thousands, if not tens of thousands of gallons of water.

It would be nice to find out if the Palais was in the Town Hall - it seems to point that way so far. I checked in the Newham Story but there is no mention of a Palais. Maybe some of the Boxing fans can shed some light.

Mark

PS - It says here that an olympic-sized pool 25 x 50 metres holds up to 3 million litres!  :o

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/JeffreyGilbert.shtml
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2012, 08:49:56 AM by MBrennan »

MBrennan

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »
This link has a location map. The Palais de Danse is listed separarately from East Ham town hall & East Ham Baths. It shows the location of the Palais as St Johns Road (no address given) if you select Palais de Danse.

I know these google pointers are often wrong though  :)

http://www.londonexboxers.org.uk/map.php
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2012, 09:05:44 AM by MBrennan »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »
Mark

As you say Google pointers can not always be relied upon but I know that St. Johns Church stood on the site of what perhaps most of us remember as the London Co-operative Departmental Store. Given the size of that site I suppose it is possible that the Palais de danse may have adjoined the church and could have been demolished at the same time to make way for the store in the 1930s.

I was also interested to see from the link that you posted of the location of East Ham Skating Rink. My mother often used to mention the Skating Rink to me which I believe stood in Wakefield Street between the Shopping Hall and the Post Office and not to the west of Ron Leighton Way.

Doug

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
I can't exactly tell you the location, only who played there from July 1925 - October 1926

East Ham Palais de Dance Victor Vorzanger's Savannah Band  
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2012, 10:31:51 AM by nellanhoj »

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »

Another little clue:

"By now, Louis had developed a passion for dancing. One night, Sid Starr, whose father was a tailor in the factory next to Winogradsky and Son's, invited him to the East Ham Palais de Dance. Louis had nothing better to do, and at least the dance provided the opportunity to meet some girls."

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #13 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Although I have found no reference to the location yet, it is possible to eliminate East Ham Baths. On one of the boxing sites giving results, it names two boxers on the same page. One fought at East Ham Baths and the other at the Palais de Danse.

It is unlikely the records would show the same place under two different names so therefore my dear Watson I have deduced where it is not but not where it is.

MBrennan

« Reply #14 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
I think the Lew Grade (Winogradsky) reference might be misleading as I am sure they lived/worked around Brick Lane?

Also a few references, including one by Tony Quinlan, say that the Co-op was built in 1929.

It is really odd that there isn't a single reference to an address.  ???

Surely there must be something lurking in the archives?

Mark
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2012, 11:10:11 AM by MBrennan »