Author Topic: Desbois family  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Lengthofwire

• View Profile
Desbois family
« on: 16 August, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
Does anybody know of any Desbois' around the East London area?  My father was born in Vicarage Lane Stratford in 1907 and was one of 10 children.  Their forefathers came over from France in the late 1600's along with the Huguenots (illegal immigrants?) and settled in the East End, mainly around the Whitechapel area.  I know virtually nothing of the other 9 members, but then families tended to be like that!

If anyone has any info' it would be most appreciated.

Len Desbois
Len

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Desbois family
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Hello LoW,

One of my grandmothers, (Pawsey), was also a direct descendant of of Huguenot refugees escaping religious persecution in France.

I am not certain from your message what information you do have on your fathers family so I checked the 1911 census which is the last census that is publically availiable.

Only 85 people with the Desbois surname are shown for England and Wales. Of your family living at 68 Vicarge Lane the following is shown;

Charles, presumably your grandfather born c1866 Bethnal Green and is a upholsterer.
Mary A, your grandmother born c1886 Bethnal Green.
Esther R daughter born c1891 Bethnal Green  and a Charwoman
Henry H son, born c1894 Walthamstow and what appear to read a Furrier.
Alice A daughter, born c1896 Walthamstow working in daily domestic service.
Lily S daughter born c1902 Stratford.
Edith born c1904 Stratford
Stanley born c1908 Stratford.

The census also shows they had at that time eight children all of whom are still living but with only six still residing with their parents.

These two children are shown in the 1901 census and they are;

Mary L born c1890 Bethnal Green
Charles R born c1892 Bethnal Green

The London Telephone Directories 1906-1975 also numbers of persons with the Desbois surname living in the Newham area. This however would taken a lot of picking though coupled with a family history chart to make sense.

Offline westhamboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »
Hi

There was a Robert J Desbois who went to Forest Gate School in the 1960's. He would be 64/65 now.  He was born in West Ham in 1949

Steve

Offline sara736

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
I was down Fyfield around 54 have been unable to find out exact times as records for boys no longer exist but believe it was from Feb to Sept (roughly) although when I was there Mr J J P Underwood was the headmaster I don't recognise any of the names you mentioned but I did post a list of names mainly boys in another thread on this topic.. If you go to the Home page and enter Fyfield in the search box there are quite a number of Fyfield entries. I believe the Head Boy when I was there was a guy named Chris Howlett.
Decrease your exam stress by using our latest 300-206 dumps (http://www.braindumps.com/300-206.htm) nice to meet you

Offline Karakarana

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2015, 06:21:37 AM »
I believe that everyone who looks like I'll be impressed.