Author Topic: MONTY  (Read 11682 times)

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
Re: MONTY
« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
Hi Leigh

The death of a Ronald James E Sparks was registered in Newham 2001, estimated year of birth 1926.
The birth of a Ronald J E Sparks was registered in West Ham in the first quarter of 1927.

I hope this helps.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
Hi all,
       as the original poster on this colourful character who as I mentioned used to entertain us Dock workers in the 60,s, I was pleased to get a response from westham boy in 2011 with a wonderful photo. This now seems to have been deleted , Forum Admin   why?  .
I was pleased to learn his real name, but because in 1960 only 14 years after the War the way he dressed with the Beret, and loads of medals and his marching skills plus belting out a tune on his bugle to us in the Docks he was Monty  .As I mentioned in my first post I was given to understand he became unsettled after the War .
If this were the case it,s very sad , and all the times I came in contact with him there was never any nastiness or malice intended by anyone , and he certainly deserves to be mentioned in    Newham Local Characters  .

All the best Ed

Offline Leigh

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply.  Think my grandad would have been born about 1890s and as far as I know he was called Percy Sparkes, my dad was called Ronald Percival Sparkes, so I presume my grandad would have been Percival.  My cousin said that he lived very near Barking station,  I don't know how I would find out where he's buried as I don't know when he passed away.

Offline clampit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
stan. the chap you saw at the junction of barking rd and greengate st was called bill.he lived in beamont rd just of prince regent lane,he suffered with some form of mental illness,he was well known for attacking the traffic with his weapons, bless him.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
Hi Ed - I'm not sure if it was the same guy, but in my courting days my girlfriend and I used to walk from Silvertown Station round Manorway & down East Ham Hight St South, then we'd turn left into Barking Road and then left again at Green Gate by the road that leads you past Plaistow Grammar School & through the Prince Regents Lane, past Beckton Lido & through the Connaught to Silvertown.  Well, as we arrived at the pub opposite the Greengate Rio cinema we were nearly always entertained by what appeared to be a shell-shocked ex soldier who stood right outside that pub on the corner having a battle with an invisible imaginary foe on the opposite side of the road, in front of the Rio cinema.

He would be shouting out at this invisible enemy and raising his arms as if firing a rifle, he would duck & dive, then clutching an invisible hand grenade he would pull out the pin in his teeth and give it an over-arm lob across the road, all the time making rat-tat-tat machine gun noises and an explosion noise as the grenade exploded.  Was this Monty or just a Monty double? - Stan

Hi stan.. some walk that was mate..the pub on the corner at the greengate was the Windsor castle.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
Ron,
the Windsor castle pub that I remember was on the old Silvertown Way ,sadly gone now I think mid 80's .
 All the best Ed

Offline bites yer spokes

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 March, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »
Hello Ed,
      My Father, who was a docker, always referred to him as Sparko or Ron . I remember dad recounting seeing him in the Southend Carnival doing his thing amongst the marching bands with the stewards not quite knowing what to make of it.   Apparently he was also at  the grand opening of Caters in  the new 'Raffy' until the boys in blue moved him on.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »
Forum Members,
Still nice to hear posts from my original one on M

Offline bites yer spokes

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
                Greetings,
                    Go to the Sporting Newham section then Good & Bad memories of the Boleyn ground thread 8th post down for another picture of MONTY.
« Last Edit: 16 May, 2015, 12:03:31 AM by bites yer spokes »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #24 on: 16 May, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 May, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
Mick & Bite yer spokes,
It certainly looks like our man age etc, but wheres the Beret and Bugle , and the uniform looks old style Met Police ?
As Iv'e mentioned in previous posts my favourite memory of Ron ( Monty ) was him coming out of swing bridge cafe Manorway cafe or Dirty Ben's , blowing his Bugle and smartly marching off towards Harland & Wolff's and possibly the ferry ,certainly a colourful character and well remembered judging by the posts.

All the best ED

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #26 on: 16 May, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
This picture can also be found on a West Ham supporters webpage and is entitled Monty.

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=4371117

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
Monty's real name was Percy Sparks, I was a PC at Forest Gate nick and often helped police West Ham matches. Percy was outside the Boleyn Arms having  a pint when a Everton supporter crushed peanuts into Percy's beer. As quick as a flash, Percy picked up his wooden rifle and pole axed him, unfortunately this resulted in his being arrested. On appearing at court the following Monday, Monty said it would be ok as Bobby (Moore) would speak for him. I cannot remember Monty's fine but all the PC's at court took a collection and paid his fine. He was about 75/80 when he remarried, when a local newspaper journalist as him why he got married Monty said it helped to pass the time. What a character he was.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 March, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
Indolman, just picked your post up, loved to have been there when he sorted out scouse , did he do a dance for you all, loved to have seen the judges face when he said Bobby would speak for him ,and remembering Bob when we were kids I,m sure he would have done . There was a good photo of Monty a relative posted a few years ago of him with is beret on in Raffy market ,but cannot access it now on the forum , shame .

All the  best Ed

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 March, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
Happy days Ed. I was not one of the PC's in the photo by the way. Bobby was a gentleman, when my eldest was about 12 years old, we had the son of a German friend staying with us for the summer. He was a Beckenbauer  fan. I asked would he like to meet Booby, he was full od disbelieve that I knew him, and I took him to Bobby's sports shop in Green Street. There was Bobby as large as life and Stefan had eyes like organ stops! Bobby asked how long he was staying with me and told me to bring the boys back the following week. When we arrived at the shop he presented each boy with a football signed by all the West Ham team! A great guy