Author Topic: MONTY  (Read 11683 times)

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
MONTY
« on: 17 August, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
I wouldn't say he was famous, but he certainly was a local character, around the Docks and W.H.U. Football ground in the 60.s. He could be seen marching up and down the High st in East Ham, and the home games at the Boleyn, where he would march around the pitch before the game, salute the corner flags to loud cheers.
 He was known as Monty, because he had a resemblance to the famous soldier, with his Beret and colourful Medals. Around the Docks he would entertain us Dockworkers in the Pubs and Cafe's with his excellent marching skills, and one time I remember we ( cop't) a dreaded Bridger at the Swing Bridge by the Albert Dk Basin ,just outside 'Dirty Ben's ' cafe, so along comes Monty who gladly entertained us with his dancing skills to the music on the Juke Box.
 When the Ship had passed through the cutting, and the roadway became the Woolwich Manorway again the captive audience, including some passengers on the 101 bus carried on their way, and Monty saluted us all, blew his bugle and marched off towards the Ferry.
 I believe his real name was Ron,and an ex soldier who became badly disturbed after the War.On reflection things today would be different, but there was never any nastiness intened and I'm sure none taken.
 Are there other posters who remember Monty ?

All the best  ED

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
Re: MONTY
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2008, 12:26:21 PM »
Hi Ed - I'm not sure if it was the same guy, but in my courting days my girlfriend and I used to walk from Silvertown Station round Manorway & down East Ham Hight St South, then we'd turn left into Barking Road and then left again at Green Gate by the road that leads you past Plaistow Grammar School & through the Prince Regents Lane, past Beckton Lido & through the Connaught to Silvertown.  Well, as we arrived at the pub opposite the Greengate Rio cinema we were nearly always entertained by what appeared to be a shell-shocked ex soldier who stood right outside that pub on the corner having a battle with an invisible imaginary foe on the opposite side of the road, in front of the Rio cinema.

He would be shouting out at this invisible enemy and raising his arms as if firing a rifle, he would duck & dive, then clutching an invisible hand grenade he would pull out the pin in his teeth and give it an over-arm lob across the road, all the time making rat-tat-tat machine gun noises and an explosion noise as the grenade exploded.  Was this Monty or just a Monty double? - Stan

Offline lewisjoiner

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »
Hi Ed, I remember him well. We used to stand in " The Chicken Run " he would march and salute in the corner of the south bank and the run. What a charactor, he got everybody going. What with him and " The Leyton Silver Band " and " The Post Horn Gallop " that was before the game started. By the way we would have some great laughs talking to the players, I remember Bobby Moore when he did the hair advert for Trugel hair cream, someone called out " you can stick your Trugel up your arse. He did no more that drop his shorts and did a mooney in front of the whole " chicken run " to rapturous applause. John Bond was always wanting sypathy because he had a " hangover "all of this was during the game. Great times. - Lewis

Offline eastendboy1969

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline eastendboy1969

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:04:05 PM »
this is ho i think you call monty with my grt granddad (on the right) at rathbone market

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
Well done East End Boy, that's the bloke I remember.

Kathy

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
wel
l       this just go,s to show after 2 half years people still read your posts   top bloke eastend boy . It certainly loocks like Monty but we are talking 45 years ago, but iv,e had another butchers and yes he,s our mhan .what date could you put on your snap ?

Hello Kath im still going          All the best ed         

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Hi Ed
I certainly remember "Monty" as a familiar sight around East Ham and Upton Park during the 1950s and 60s and as a regular and avid supporter of The Hammers in those days can remember his antics before and during games. Although I cannot now verify this my mother, who worked in Caters in High Street North, told me of an occasion when "Monty", probably refreshed by a certain amount of alcohol from The Cock Hotel, decided that his "enemy" that afternoon was to be a bus travelling along the High Street. He stepped on to the pedestrian crossing at the corner of Myrtle Road and held the bus, and other traffic, up with his imaginary rifle for almost 10 minutes before a member of the local constabulary encouraged him that it was time for a ceasefire.

dougt

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
Superb memory Doug!  Does anyone remember his little dog that he had for a time?  One day, Monty was proceeding along the High Street at quick march pace, bugle in one hand, little dog on the lead in the other.  just as he was passing Johnny Bolton's and the British Home Stores the little dog, not to put too fine a point on it, needed the loo and proceeded to squat.  Monty, oblivious to this, proceeded undaunted and the poor little chap was unceremoniously bounced along on his behind as he tried to do his business! :o

Offline westham john

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2011, 04:59:17 AM »
i also remember monty real name percy sparks we were playing about one day in queens market and a friend of mine got a bit saucy and upset him and he clouted him rightly so a court case ensued he got off with a warning ,but what a loverly old chap miss him a lot.

MBrennan

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »
I have just been looking at old posts and I remember Monty. I'm sure my dad mentioned him as well. Shame I can't ask him as he died in 2004.

Offline Leigh

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
Hi I would just like to ask if anyone has any photos of Monty, Percy Sparkes as he was my grandad and I never met him as he left his family and moved London way. I would love to see a photo of him, seems he was quite a character.  I know he was a massive fan of West Ham and did the London to Southend walks with the police.

MBrennan

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »
Hi Leigh,

The only photo I have ever seen of him is this. I think it was posted by one of your relatives. I do remember seeing him around when I wa little in the '60s - He has also been mentioned on the East Ham Facebook page. http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/mywhufc1/media/montyatrathbone.jpg.html

Mark

Offline Leigh

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »
Thankyou for you reply, loved seeing the photo, really want to find out more about him and would like to know where he's buried so that my sister and myself could go and pay our respects to him. Do you think anyone would know when he passed away.

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
Hi Leigh

The death of a Ronald James E Sparks was registered in Newham 2001, estimated year of birth 1926.
The birth of a Ronald J E Sparks was registered in West Ham in the first quarter of 1927.

I hope this helps.