Author Topic: Angel Lane.........memory Lane.  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Stringerdescent

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Angel Lane.........memory Lane.
« on: 12 February, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and hope I am on the right forum lol. I am so interested in Angel Lane as I spent most of my childhood up and down there and loved it so much. We lived with my nan at 40 Western Street and even though mum and dad got a place of their own when I was 3yrs old in 1955 we were at nans almost every day. My aunt Eileen used to be the manageress and lived above Lowes dry cleaners in Angel Lane. Now all the olduns are gone I'd like a trip back to memory lane.

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Lane.........memory Lane.
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »
If you type Angel Lane into the search box which is near the top right of the page, you will find quite a number of messages about Angel Lane.

Kathy

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
I see acording to the Newham Recoder the property developers are getting their way and on the site of the old Angle Lane Cottage there will be a 102 bedroom student accommedation to be bult, like we need more little flats in that area once the Olympic Village is deserted by the Hop, Skip and Jump brigade! The Landlady at the Railway Taven and the locals intend to fight it, but as she said there is very little chance of Newham Refusing. What she wanted was a small park and sign saying what was there.

Offline Barry N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
I am also interested in Angel Lane , but I don't remember much about it  , but there is loads of information on here and loads of help , so happy hunting oh if tell of some of your memories it will jog a lot of responce . Barry

Offline JuneMc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
I lived in Martin Street and walked up Western Street every day to go to Salway. I was in Martin st from birth in 53 until we had to move in 64 to make way for the new Stratford. I have found some great pics of Angel lane and martin St and there is a site on Facebook called i was born in E.15 where I have found lots of people who I know or know someone I know and its full of memories...

Offline Barry N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
what else do you remember about Stratford , the pictures you have sound interesting , what Schools  did you attend and do you still live around the area . Barry

Offline bunny hill

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
was lowes dry cleaners on the right hand side of primrose court in angel lane ? if so i seem to recall a lady from the very same shop  going on michael miles take your pick and winning a lamberatta scooter i think ? perhaps im sadly wrong as it was the early sixties
kind regards
bunny hill

Offline sccmillhouse

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
Hi there - just registered to share some info which this site helped to confirm.

The film Deep End (available on YouTube) was filmed in 1970 and includes two sequences of the main character cycling along most of Angel Lane. The first clip at 2mins is from The Lion down to Boardmans and a second clip at ~17mins is a bit further north going past the old railway works and over Angel Lane Bridge down to no82.

Cheers,

(http://s272.photobucket.com/user/sccmillhouse/media/DE1.jpg.html)

(http://s272.photobucket.com/user/sccmillhouse/media/Others/DE2.jpg.html)

Dan

« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
Looked on youtube but cant find the film can you post a link.
Thanks.

Brenda B.

« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »
Dan - did you add 1970 to your search info?  I had trouble at first and then found it by scrolling down - there are several links but so far I have only watched the 'trailer' for the film.

I was puzzled by the cyclist passing what looked like a shop window with the words Boardman's (on the cyclist's left side).  I recall Boardmans (my Mum worked on the perfumery counter in the 50s) being a large store in the main high street - was that perhaps a side entrance for deliveries at the back?  It looked like Angel Lane but that has puzzled me.

Dan

« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2014, 02:59:09 PM »
Brenda. Boardmans main entrance was in the high St. But they also had a second entrance in Angel Lane. If you wanted you could walk trough one entrance and out the other.
PS found the film, but cant find that scene. Perhaps someone can post a link.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 23 November, 2014, 03:21:58 PM by Dan »

Offline carol a price

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
 Dan,
  this is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNzYBlMil4
                 Carol.

Brenda B.

« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
Thanks Dan.  I have walked down Angel Lane so many times (esp. when I worked at the Town Hall and walked down the lane almost every lunchtime).  I can remember some of the things I bought at Boardmans - but I can't recall that entrance/exit.  Oh dear!

Dan

« Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks Carol.
I went to your link but it doesn't show the scene mentioned. 2 min and 17 min into film with the Angel lane scene.
Thanks for trying.

Offline carol a price

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »
Dan,
  right at the beginning of the film about 1.min 8/9 seconds is the bit where he is riding
 his bke down Angel lane .
                                 Carol.