Author Topic: Call The Midwife!  (Read 32757 times)

Offline nelliesgirl

• View Profile
Call The Midwife!
« on: 02 January, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »
Family life in the East End, seen through the eyes of a Midwife, district Nurse, she lived and trained at a local convent.  A very good read.   Soon to be shown on T.V.  Not just for us Girlies!

The author is; Jennifer Worth, 
« Last Edit: 02 January, 2012, 12:26:00 PM by nelliesgirl »

Offline linda c

• View Profile
Re: Call The Midwife!
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
I agree. Have read all Jennifer Worth's books and enjoyed them all.

So sad that Jennifer passed away last year. She will be missed by all her readers.

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
HI nell,
Shall order "call the Midwife" with my dear lady who delivers my "LISTENING BOOKS"
and hope it is available if not immediately sometime soon.

If not already done so I wish you a  HAPPY NEW AND PROSPEROUS YEAR

Louise.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Holding On ( the book )
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Having read lots of books about the East End, some years ago  I read the above book , and in my ( humble ) opinion ,has to be the finest factual account of life in the Docks area of Canning Town, between WW1 through and beyond WW11.
Although fiction, the characters could have been my G.Parents and mum and dad,it was that good, sometimes the events told came errily close to thse of my family.
I think Amazon can still get copies, its called Holding On by Mervyn Jones. Back in the early 70s B.B.C. did a serial based on the book , soanyone like me with fond memories of our dear old " ROYALS " ,will enjoy this book.

All the best ED

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »

Ed sounds just like my Cup of Tea! Docks, Canning Town, who could ask for anything better?

Thank you all for recommending this good read.

When I have read it no doubt I shall post my tthoughts.

Louise.

Offline Bill Sharpe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2012, 11:35:24 PM »
I remember that series Ed - it was repeated some years later and I did manage to video a couple of episodes. The first time I read the book I found it unbelievable that the author had no background of living in Canning Town - he touched my soul and like you Ed, it was like reading my Grandfathers life story - he too was born in Canning Town in 1900, died in 1970 and worked in the Royals for most of his life.You probably remember that the late Michael Elphick played the part of Charlie in the TV Series.I must have read that book a dozen times and I will probably read it 12 more times.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Holding On
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

Bill,
     nice to catch up with you after a few years, yes Iseem to remember we discused this book then, was it on the old History Board ? .
     We both have this area in common and sea going backgrounds as well,yes lets hope soom new residents and posters take time to read it

All the best ED

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
  Hi Nell,
  phoned my delivery lady from the Listening Library and she has "Call the Midwife" on the shelf and is going to
  bring it next Friday.

There are two others in stock so might as well have one good read, what say you?

Goodness knows when the chores will get done, what with Listening Books and  Computers, etc.,

Thanks to all who recommended the read

Louise

Offline nelliesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »
Hi Louise!

I do hope you enjoy your book. I am nearly through a book, about two little girls growing up in Bethnal Green,and Stepney. A very good read, and it does makes me laugh! in places, what the girls come out with, I say to my husband, here listen to this.  It is by Sally Worboyes, called "East End Girls"  her true life story, 1946, and on. You may have read it.   if not I think you will enjoy it, she writes about Growing up the Hard Way. 

I know what you mean!  about the chores, I like a nicely kept home!  But the dust will be there long after we have gone, as they say!

Nell

Offline Rogier

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »
I hope this is not OT, but might someone in the know, suggest to the Yesterday channel that it might run Holding On?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164260/ is all I can find about it.

My close family relations would have loved to have seen Call The Midwife, sadly they are all pushing up daisies now.
Family historian researching: Allum, Bozier Burrows, French, Goldfinch, Myer Poague, Tyers, Ellis and looking for pictures of Star Street, Scott Street and the early Burke Street

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:05:09 PM »

Hello Rogier,
   I was looking forward to seeing "Call the Midwife" on TV. all week as I had heard such a lot about it.

What a shock I got with the opening!  I was born in Leys Road Custom House, on to Canning Town etc.,etc.,
   a real Eastender up until the War (Evacuation).  Never have I seen Woman fighting with children joining in on the street like that.

If I am wrong I shall appreciate someone confirming this scene. (Remember I am in the 30s/40s) era which I think this was.

Sorry! I turned it off.

Louise.

MBrennan

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
I see there is a trilogy available. I will order it from the library.  :) - I love true history books  :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midwife-Trilogy-Shadows-Workhouse-Farewell/dp/0297859641/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327010464&sr=1-7

« Last Edit: 20 January, 2012, 08:45:46 AM by MBrennan »

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
Hi Louise,
               I have Read the book and found it to be a good read,but I must agree with you when I watched the television programme I did think it was it was referring to a time well before the 1930s . I was born and raised in Plaistow in 1931 and I must say in all honesty I never ever saw scenes like that in Plaistow during my time there, mind you they did say it was in Poplar and I can't speak for Poplar as I only use to go there when going to the Queens Theatre.I shall continue to watch it on Tele though but for me it seems to be that the book will be better than the film. Will.

Offline Bill Sharpe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2012, 01:54:38 AM »
I was bought up in that era and like you Will I don't remember poverty on the scale depicted in that programme. I didn't know any families that had 24 children although there was a family I knew that had eighteen children. I do remember a terrible slum building that was adjacent to Bromley by Bow underground station - I used to feel so sorry for the kids I could see playing in the area outside the building - now they did look poor! I wonder how many other members of this site remember those buildings.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »
Bill

There is another book by Barbara Worth, called 'Shadows of the Workhouse'. Again this is set in Poplar. This has been mentioned previously on this site. That slum building you mention, is fictionalised in this book, and is every bit as horrible as you can imagine.
Isn't it funny, that poor as we all were, we could always feel sorry for people who were even poorer.

Alan