Author Topic: East Ham High Street  (Read 77434 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: East Ham High Street
« Reply #285 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
Hi, PT at Blandford camp was a session on the dreaded gym wall bars until your arms felt like dropping off.
A jog around the perimeter road could be a little daunting because it used to be shared with very new learner drivers in 3 ton lorries intent on putting the shites up anyone that got in their way.
 Malaya was PT free, mind you, there was no fear of putting on any weight, although the food was ok, if you didnt mind reconstituted grub, it wasnt exactly a blowout.
Ken.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 11 October, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »
Doug , seems you can remember more about my pre Wedding arrangements than me ,well let me assure you I have no wish to pop along to the said Jewellers and get a refund from from her Ring it is still nice and sparkly probably due to the fact I make her rinse it three times a day in dish water  haa 

All the best Ed

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 12 October, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Hi Ken your story Re Blandford Camp took me back 65 years (was it really that long ago) wit the story of PT sessions I was wondering if when you did the dreaded 5 mile bash you took the same route that we took which half way through involved crossing a Ford in a small river and being stopped to mark  time in the middle until our boots were filled with water and when we continued all you heard  was the squelching from said boots.Regards Harry I

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 13 October, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
Hi Harry, the training routine had to be continuous & my intake started training over the Xmas holiday when we were sent home. Therefore the 4 weeks we did before Xmas didnt count & we had to start again, making a total of 14 weeks at the mercy of the PT staff. The 5 mile trek dosnt come to mind, but then the whole 14 weeks was a blur. The driver training was the most enjoyable, the indoor rifle range was a doddle, this was extended for me as I was deemed to be a marksman.
All in all, my time at Blandford was ok, the NCOs were strict but fair, & it was easier to go with the flow than fight against it, a fight that you were never going to win.
Ken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 14 October, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
Hi Ken I fail to see how  the square bashing and PT training slipped your mind as this was part of the proficiency tests for all National Service Men.
The five  mile march was part of this test and it consisted of double marching then jogging alternatively over a five mile course.There  was also the mile  run around the 440 yard track to be completed in ten minutes easier said than done. included was the 303 rifle .sten and bren gun.I was also told I was a marksman for getting ten rounds from a 303 in the bullseye from 30 yards at an  eight foot reprasentative target which was an eight inch target ( incidently which was stolen from foot locker within an hour of returning to barracks I can just hear them telling the story of how good a shot they were!!!!).
All these tests were retaken a year later whilst in Gibraltar all the running tests were done before 7 o clock in the morning the running tests were quite hard after a year of no PT. Regards Harry I
« Last Edit: 14 October, 2018, 09:27:09 PM by harry »

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 15 October, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
Hi Harry, I am sure that I completed all  the statutory tests & training before posting to a permanent unit, but so much water has passed under the bridge.
Upon arrival at my far east posting, which was a very busy infantry support unit there just was no time for PT or other army routine procedures, it was up, jump into your 3 ton motor & away, 7 days a week.
To keep up with both New Zealand & Australian full time troops, there was no slacking, there was a job to be done, get on with it. The NCOs were part of a team & blended in well. The OC was a National Service one pip wonder, no problems. The weather was enjoyable, food adequate, colleages,ok.
Ken

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #291 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
This is another old picture I came across on Facebook of High Street North. The location is looking north near East Ham Station. The first turning on the left is Milton Avenue. Although undated, presumably  it has to be between 1901 - 1932 when East Ham Tramways operated. The absence of motorised traffic and the horse and cart in the distance, suggests pre-World War 1.  Although the road surface appears to be cobbles, they might be wooden blocks

« Last Edit: 13 November, 2018, 09:38:55 AM by MickG »

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:28:24 AM »
Hello Mick
I have only just seen this photo that you posted in November. Am I right in assuming the stationery shop is Wilson and Whitworth. The first blind is showing Wilson but the other blind isn't open. I believe this shop was opposite East Ham Station. Lovely photo.
Linda

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #293 on: 07 December, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
Linda, I suspect you are probably correct but I cannot be certain. I was unable to locate anything in old telephone directories, but I have ben able to establish the building you are looking at is 203 High Street North. Ii looks like they had double blinds to cover the shop front, but only one blind appears to have been pulled down and the rest of the business name being on the other unfurled blind.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 07 December, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »
I had a Saturday job in a small card shop called Newham Cards in the 1960's Mick.It was opposite C&A and I think the number was 185 High St North. So it sounds like that could have been Wilson and Whitworth. I wonder if Doug would know.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:43:19 PM »
Wilson and Whitworth was to the north (Manor Park side) of the entrance to the old East Ham Registry Office that was situated in Station Chambers. I remember the card shop that Linda mentions and I did use it on occasions. it was further down towards Heigham Road just past what was Williams Galleries (the large furniture store). I can't be 100% sure but think the card shop was quite deep and narrow, possibly a "half shop" with a greengrocers occupying the other half.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:22:12 PM »
That's right Doug, it was very long and narrow and was between the greengrocers and Williams Galleries. I can't remember what it was before a card shop but I agree it was probably halved with the greengrocers. We had a tiny room at the back where we kept some stock and was also our tea room. I loved working in there, the staff were so friendly.