Author Topic: East Ham High Street  (Read 76484 times)

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Re: East Ham High Street
« Reply #270 on: 16 September, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Interesting to see a close-up of shopfronts with those side blinds.
As a teenager I had a saturday job in a hardware store opposite the Granada cinema (the chamois leather shop). The shop still used those old blinds and put a pavement display of goods out. My first job of the day was to sort the blinds out. First, pull down the top blind on a roller with a large pole which had a hook on the end. Once retrieved from the back of the shop and unrolled, the side blinds had to be hooked into an eye at the top of the roller blind. The hook on the side blind was on the end of about 10feet of 2x2 which was fixed to one side. Once hooked in, the sides were tied to the front corner of the roller blind and the back edge tied at various points to the wall of the shop. At the end of the day, the blinds were removed, laid down on the pavement and rolled up, much to the annoyance of the bus queue outside.
Manhandling those huge canvas and timber side blinds was quiet tricky for this weedy 15 year old.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #271 on: 02 October, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
This is another picture of the Barking Road/Hight Street South junction. Although undated, it is probably early 1900's. East Ham Corporation started running trams in 1901 and as there is an existing tram in the picture, it must be soon after that date. This looks like an extension of the track system being laid toward the docks.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 04 October, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
Thank you for printing this photograph again Mick. You can just make out the Hawkins sign on the shop at the back, the subject of which started this post many moons ago.
Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
Linda, I am somewhat surprised that the "Hawkins" sign is so clear on the photo posted by Mick. It certainly looks like the 1901 era as the tram lines are being laid however this does raise a question. We have seen the photo of the same building with "Joslins" trading from it which appears to have been taken in the 1920s as the tramlines are laid in the road so did Hawkins originally trade from the shop before it was taken over by Joslins and subsequently trade again from the shop at a later date?

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
Doug, I must admit I wondered the same. I haven't been able to find any information on Joslins on the internet as to the dates they were in East Ham. I'll keep on trying though.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 06 October, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
Hi all ,
 wouid I be right in thinking in the last photo along the Barking Rd 66 years after that photo was taken there was a very well known Tailor Lew Rose  who made my 3 piece Wedding gear it would be nice to add a fairytale end and say it s still hanging in my wardrobe but alas its not . In 59 -60 I had a saturday job in one of the Television shops up the High st on the right hand side but can't remember which one Linda or Doug help me out
All the best Ed

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 06 October, 2018, 10:17:24 PM »
Hi Ed
I think I remember someone mentioning that Lew Rose, the tailor was in the Barking Road opposite the Town Hall. Also I think Radio Rentals was in High Street North. Hopefully Doug will know as he's the expert on shops in East Ham.
Hope all is well with you.
Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:59:16 PM »
Hi Ed,
I couldn't remember Lew Rose in Barking Road opposite the Town Hall but back in 2011 there was a post on this group concerning "Newham Tailors" and 2 people mentioned that Lew Rose was in Barking Road opposite the Town Hall so I guess it was in the parade between Times Furnishing and the corner of Keppel Road.
Also to say that some time ago you mentioned that you worked in the Ideal Radio Repair Shop in High Street North which was situated opposite the Black Lion just past Clements Road. You also said that you purchased Marilyn's Wedding Ring from Empire Bullion which was next door. Both closed down many years ago so it is too late to get a refund on the ring! Please pass on my love to Marilyn!
Kind Regards
Doug

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #278 on: 07 October, 2018, 10:14:57 PM »
I looked up Lew Rose in the 1959 telephone directory and Ed is quite right about the building in the photograph. Lew Rose business is show as being at 387 Barking Road and the premises are currently occupied by the Paddy Power betting chain. The telephone directory also shows Lew Rose had a total of six shops the others being in Walthamstow High Street, High Road N22, High St Stratford, Rye Lane Peckham and Uxbridge Road Shepherds Bush.
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2018, 09:23:45 AM by MickG »

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 08 October, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »
Mick, on the 17th April 2017 I posted a photo on the Memories of East Ham website of a photographers shop called Glass and Sons, 387 Barking Road,East Ham. I checked on Google Earth and it was showing as Paddy Power in 2015. I'm not sure of the date of the photo but I was wondering if maybe Lew Rose took over from Glass and Sons. Unfortunately I still can't post photos on here at the moment.
Linda

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 08 October, 2018, 12:09:38 PM »
Hi, just poking my nose into your post about Lew Rose tailors.
Their shop was in Barking Rd opposite East Ham Town Hall between the High St & Atkinsons the motor cycle shop.
It was trading in 1958, the year that I completed National Service, because I bought my demob suit there.
Ken.

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
« Reply #281 on: 09 October, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
The menntion of Radio Rentals in the High Street brings to mind my purchase in 1974 of an ULTRA Radiogram from Premier Discount at 447/9 Barking Road for £79.50 (lot of money in those days) - just past Arthur Atkinson's motor cycle shop going towards Barking. Arthur was the former West Ham Speedway Ace and like Eric Chitty went into the selling business when they packed up the sport.  My Radiogram is still going strong and naturally it is a curiosity to all of my grandchildren - thanks to the Internet Forums I have just completed a refurbishment of my ULTRA and love hearing all of my old long playing and 78's records.    Must try and put a picture of the radiogram on the forum here someday soon.   My post is a somewhat distraction from Lew Rose but for suits I recall - Denny Mincer at the Greengate - H.Soll Cambridge Heath Road, Hackney, Max Cohen at Aldgate and another tailor whose name escapes me for the moment in Whitechapel not far from the infamous Blind Beggar.
alffox.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 09 October, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
Hi Ken Demob suit??? when I finished my National service my demob suit was =battle dress blouse(jacket)trousers ,second best boots, beret, cap badge, tie, AB 64 part one, button stick, and boot brushes, the rest had to be packed and sent off to where I can,t remember. Regards Harry.I

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #283 on: 09 October, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
I found this picture for Alf of a Ultra Radiogram. Possibly not quite the same model but probably something similar. This is selling for £70, a similar price Alf paid back in 1974.

Harry's comments about his demob suit reminded me of a story my elder brother told me when he did his National Service. He was in the Essex Regiment based at Colchester and said they had to march through the town to a sports ground several times a week. He said they wore berets, army singlet and shorts only, topped of by boots and gaiters. He said they looked a right sight marching through the town.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 09 October, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »
Hi All I remember the first fortnight at the start of National Service We seemed to be dressed in P T kit with what was called ammunition boots with mug knife fork and spoon and to top it off every where we went it was at a jog with said knife fork spoon and mug held in one hand behind our backs which made a clank clank  clank  sound as we jogged around the Barracks .
Other things that stuck in my mind was the five mile bash part jogging then double march!!. quite nackerring but not as nackerring as the next time this was done was a year later in Gibraltar after a year of no P T obviously not as fit as the firs time it was done.Regards Harry.I.