Author Topic: East Ham High Street  (Read 77400 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: East Ham High Street
« Reply #255 on: 31 March, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
If you magnify the picture it can be seen that what looks like double yellow lines are in fact two rows of cobbles. The road surface is still basically earth at this time as can be seen by the tracks left by things like carts. The tram lines ae reinforced by cobbles in the centre of the road. I am not certain why this was done but I suspect it was either connected with reinforcing the kerb line or possibly protection drainage pipes below the soft earth surface.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »
I have found an old photograph of Joslins Drapers opposite the Denmark pub in High St North East Ham.

I'm not sure of the year of the photo but Joslins later became Hawkins which closed down in 1972.

Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 04 May, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
This is the photo that I tried to post a month ago following other posts regarding Davants. This shows the Davants Funiture Store that I remember on the west side of High Street North just before The Gaumont/Premier

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #258 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
Hello Folks. I discovered by chance that the Newham Story board appears to have been restored and hopefully is functioning again.

I am sending this message on the topic thread of East Ham High Street as I know many people contributed to it in the past, that if the automated email system is still functioning, then again hopefully more people can be made aware of the boards apparent return.

The main page is at http://www.newhamstory.co.uk/index.php but I did have to log in again. My old username and password still functioned however.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
Hi Mick
Thank you for letting us know that the Forum is up and running again. Let's hope all the members are informed.
Regards
Linda

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #260 on: 22 August, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
Linda mentioned a photograph she posted of Joslin's on the corner of High Street North and Barking Road. Unfortunately the facility which showed previously attached pictures is still not working. I did however recently come across the picture below which may be the one Linda mentioned.

High Street North - junction of Barking Road

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:04:53 AM »
Thank you Mick, yes that is the photo. It's a shame that the photo facility isn't back to normal. I think there would be more activity on the site if members could post photos.

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 30 August, 2018, 07:57:04 PM »
 I am surprised by all the eulogies for the East Ham Coop. I recall they sold bicycles as well. Fine building admittedly and Santa was good but in general I despaired of the CO-Op for their habit of buying up excellent  stores and then closing them. Remember J. R. Roberts and Bearmans. They both became Co-ops and the standards dropped until closure. I was sad when Bearmans was taken over by Co-op and later closed it was a quality shop. Sincerely Dave T

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »
Hi  not many Department stores left now, my one was Boardmans Stratford  i think the dome is still there?, the one i use now is Roomes Of Upminster , which i think started life down green street , upton park shutting down in 1935.
 Poppy Show

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 04 September, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »
Hi Poppy show, I also shop at the Upminster Roomes store. The Green Street store opened in 1888. They have a website showing the history of the store with lots of photographs at www.roomes.co
Best wishes
Linda

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:10:31 PM »
Hi  Linda  i had a look on Roomes website very interesting. i also remember Bearmens Department Store with the Rialto Cinema next door, Frank Bearman jointly owned with J W Holdron the store Allders, J W Holdron had a store in Peckham,called Holdrons shut now but the buildings still there ,i went there to see the fantastic Art deco ceiling  worth googling,another store i remember as a kid was a drapers shop called sweets at maryland point it had the money on a track going to the cashier sitting in the office,i think the buildings still there but dont know what is now.
Poppy

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:05:36 PM »
Hi Poppy, I don't remember much about the shops in Stratford as I lived in East Ham and only went occasionally to Stratford. We did have a shop in East Ham called Hawkins which was a drapers and they had the overhead cash system that you mentioned. The photo that Mick printed on an earlier post on this thread shows Joslins which later became Hawkins.
Linda

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #267 on: 11 September, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
Another picture of High Street North in 1914 looking north with the Ruskin Arms on the right. This aspect of the road has changed very little over the past century.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 11 September, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
What a lovely photo Mick. I seem to remember there was a shoe shop called Capons that was on the opposite side to The Ruskin. I think it was on the corner of Strone Road. This would have been in the 1950/60s.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 15 September, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
Thanks for posting that photo Mick. I hadn't seen it before and initially it "threw me" as I couldn't remember the bend in the road at the end of the buildings on the left to be so significant. Like Linda I remember Capons and the pain of having to be taken there to get shoes in the 1950s. Also along that stretch in the shops on the left was a barbers, really can't call it a hairdressers, called Greens where I was also dragged as youngster for a short back and sides. Remember being sat on a box on top of a big chair and being held in a neck lock by the barber as he hacked at your hair!