Author Topic: East Ham High Street  (Read 77284 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: East Ham High Street
« Reply #30 on: 15 November, 2011, 07:18:59 PM »
David

Thanks for reminding me of "The Ocean" Fish and Chip Shop. A group of us used to buy Fish and Chips from there on a Friday Evening on our way home from The Salvation Army Youth Club in Wakefield Street. Generally walked along the High Street towards the station eating it and then go into the Wimpy Bar for a Hamburger and Coffee. Occasionally I went into the Milk Bar a few doors along from "The Ocean" - I think it may have been called The Black and White Milk Bar.

I also remember Burtons on the corner of Caledon Road where I proudly bought my first "Made to Measure" suit around 1962.

Linda

Thanks for your comment regarding the photo of High Street North with the Caters shop blind in view. It appears that the photograph was taken from the 2ND or 3rd floor of the Co-op store  I do remember the stationers, Nelsons, opposite the Co-op although I did not buy much from them. As you say they were primarily a Stationers that also sold Tobacco and Lighters but I am not sure whether they also sold sweets and chocolate which may well me the reason that I did not go into the shop too much.

Dougt

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 November, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
Linda, yes I remember Nelsons; they also sold  good quality fountain pens: Platignum, Osmiroid, Parker, Eversleigh come to mind.  In the 50s and early 60s, all my family were smokers which was probably the case with most other families in those days.  (I was the only one in my family who didn't smoke.) When it was Christmas time, I would often buy my dad and my uncle a tin of Tom Thumb cigars and cigarettes for my mum - never any problem getting served at Nelsons, nor indeed was there a problem at the Co-op tobacconists a few doors away.

A "shoppers guide to East Ham" - there's an idea.  I'll have a bash at the Barking Road, starting opposite the old Central Hall by the zebra crossing:  David's confectioners/tobacconists, E. Atkinson the motorcycle dealers, cross Keppel Road where there was a dry cleaners on the corner, then came Surdaw the newsagent/confectioner/tobacconist (formerly T & R McVicar), Fox the chemist run by a very tall chinless, bespectacled but pleasant chap - Mr Fox, Toni's Restaurant with the flower baskets and wrought ironwork outside, run by Italians - Gionotti? Gilberts hairdressers run by a pompous Mr Gilbert (who employed some very attractive stylists!), Halfords the bicycle shop, Pollards haberdashers, Israel's fruit and veg, Sainsbury's (later to be Rossi's ice cream parlour and cafe), a nice bakers - ABC? one or two which I can't place then, on the corner, Hawkins with the overhead cash transporting system,(which was the start of this thread).

Doug, just seen your post - no sweets at Nelsons. Yes, Burtons I remember that shop but I don't recall buying anything there.  What about Foster Bros on the next corner - Caulfield Road?  I used to get my school uniform there, generally towards the end of the summer holidays, so it was always with a very heavy heart!  I used to go into the Wimpy bar in 1969/70 - a wimpy and coffee at the end of an evening was 'to die for!'

Where did you live in East Ham, Linda?  What about you, Doug?  I lived in Thorpe Road.

Best regards to all.
David.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 November, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
David
Your memory is quite amazing! If I'm not mistaken there was also a jewellers opposite the Central Hall called Colins. That was where my sister and I had our ears pierced. Mum has come up with another one-she can't recall the actual name but it was known as the Offal Shop and was in the Barking Road past the Co-op. She said they sold lovely faggotts and pease pudding!

I lived in Becket Avenue which was off Charlemont Road and before that in Mountfield Road.

Linda

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »
I,m sure of a response, what was the electrical & television shop half way up to the Station on the right hand side of High st Nth, I worked there in about 1958 on a Saturday as a assistant shop & van boy at Christmas time .
The Gaumont on the opposite side is where I saw Bill Haley in Rock around the Clock , this was the time when the " teddy boys " were ripping up the seats in some cinemas , not sure what year it was ? .
Many years later like a post ing before, I also bought our Wedding Rings from a Jewellers on the side as the T.V. shop  ,but again can,t remember it,s name .
 all the best ed.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
David and Linda

With regard to your latest post Linda I believe that Collins may still be trading from their shop in Barking Road

I think you have set quite  challenge! I lived in Strone Road and in November last year started a thread regarding shops at the Manor Park end of High Street North. It was quite easy to remember many of the shops as I passed them twice a day for many years whilst walking to the station from my home in Strone Road.

The East Ham end of the High Street is more difficult in that I am unsure whether shops were trading in the 1950s, 60s or 70s  but here goes:

Next to East Ham Station a tobacconists with a barbers in the rear called Lewis, then Petcheys Minicabs, then the East Ham Palace which was demolished in the 1950s and the C & A Fashion Store was built on the site.

< Burges Road >

On the southern corner of Burges Road  was Larkins, a sweet shop, that sold Ice Cream from a side window. This shop was replaced by Crays Fashions. In the same block were a TV Rental Shop (Radio Rentals?) Ann (Corsetiere) and Boots the Chemist on the corner of Lathom Road.
<Lathom Road>

On the southern corner of Lathom Road was a Greengrocers (the name escapes me at the moment! possibly Heards). I think there was also a jewellers a couple of shops down (Russells?) and Rumbelows was situated on the corner of Clements Road.

<Clements Road>

Between Clements and Caulfield Road were Dunn & Co (Mens Outfitters). This shop may have become Granditers at a later date and the Midland Bank was situated on the corner of Caulfield Road. There may also have been a small supermarket in this block "Memorys"

<Caulfield Road>

As mentioned in a previous post  Foster Brothers were on the southern corner of Caulfield road and I believe John Collier may have been situated a few doors along possibly next door to Burtons which was on the corner of Caledon Road.

<Caledon Road>

In the 1950s there was a furnishing store on the southern corner of Caledon Road called Easterns When this closed a Green Shield Stap Redemption shop opened and this subsequently became Argos. There was another TV Rental shop in this section and another Corsetiere.

<Skeffington Road>

The southern corner of Skeffington Road was occupied by Woolworths and next door to them was "Weaver to Wearer" (Mens Fashions)  In the 1950s/early 60s the next building was a Car Dealership "Reynolds" and subsequently that building was taken over by Safeway.
Next door was a small sweet/tobacco kiosk and the shop on the corner of Kempton Road was, I believe, a Piano Shop but I cannot remmember the name.

<Kempton Road>

The Cock Hotel was situated on the southern corner of Kempton Road and next door was a Burchers (Thompsons?). This block also contained Phillips the Jewellers and possibly a chemist. The shop on the corner of Thorpe Road was a Wine Merchant.

<Thorpe Road>

The unit on the corner of Thorpe Road was originally a Supermarket (possibly Tesco) and the same block also included the Westminster Bank, Swetman & Crocker (shoes) and Nelsons (Stationers)

<Lloyd Road>

Lloyds Bank was on the corner of Lloyd Road and I believe there may have been a carpet shop in the same block before we come to Hawkins which started this thread!

Going back along the other side of the High Street, The Denmark and Co-op Store filled the first block to the junction with St. Johns Road.

<St. Johns Road>

On the Northern Corner of St. John's Road was a shoe shop (Ravels) and the block to Myrtle Road icluded another Tobacconists witha Barbers at the rear (Lewis) Caters (Grocers) and Fish Brothers (Jewellers and Pawnbrokers)

<Myrtle Road>

I think the shop on the northern corner of Myrtle Road was a small decorating shop and I believe Dewhurst the Butcher was in the same block along with Freeman Hardy Willis. On the corner of the block before Wakefield Street was the Main Post Office.

<Wakefield Street>

The northern corner of Wakefield Street was occupied by British Home Stores then there was the Gaumonth Cinema complete with Newspaper seller, Johnny Bolton, outside. The next few shops included Eastmans, Dry Cleaners, Hammonds Opticians, Stylo Footwear and The Ocean Fish Bar. There was then a large furniture store Davants later Hardys and then a number of other shops that I cannot recall with any certainty although I believe Cookes Pie and Mash and The Black and White Milk Bar were in this group. A bit further along was jeromes although I believe they may have ceased trading before 1960. Also in this block was W H Smith, Dolcis, and a wet fish shop (Hacksalls?). The Black Lion Pub occupied the corner of Harrow Road.

<Harrow Road>

I recall  that in the 1950s the shop on the noerthern corner of Harrow Road may have been a small greengrocers that also sold eggs and dairy products but I think this was replaced by another TV Rental Shop (Granada). Next door was the Jewellers (Feitelsons) and then Marks and Spencer. There may have been a Wallaper shop next door (Art Wallpaper) but I am not sure of this. The unit on the corner of Bendish Road was occupied by Mark Liell Surveyors.

<Bendish Road>

On the northern corner of Bendish Road was a bakers, Bartons, and next door a butcher, Tuckers?. Bata Shoes had a unit in the same block and there was also another shop that sold amongst other things rubber moluds of Disney characters from which children could make and paint models of their favourite characters. Further along in this block were The Wimpy Bar and Regal Dry Cleaners on the corner of Heigham Road.

<Heigham Road>

I believe at one time the unit on the corner of Heigham Road was the ABC Bakery and Restaurant and a little further along was a large furniture store, Williams Galleries, I think the next shop traded as "Park Shoes" and next door to them were Dixons Photographic.

Please advise and correct any errors!

Dougt

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
Ed

Having read your post after my last psoting it is possible that the two shops you are trying to remember were not included in my posting. I believe there was a Jewellers called "Empire Bullion" opposite the Black Lion in the High Street and, as the time you worked as as a Saturday assistant, probably predates the appearance of Rumbelows There may have been an Electrical/TV shop in that part of the High Street called Ideal Radio. I think they were a local set up and had other shops in the Manor Park end of High Street North and also in Romford Road.

DougT

Offline keith SPRINGFORD

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
Another disappeance from high streets is the made to measure tailors shops....I can remember S.Daren and Lew Rose opp. the town Hall in Barking road ...both very expensive .My father would  get a new suit made every 2 years in Lew Roses...Goldbergs just over the  station hill towards Manor Park and the cheapos..John Colliers and Burtons. I remember the catalogues at Burtons where you could  browse through ,look at the designs and pick out your style. You could also use your own ideas. got my first suit there..a double breasted blue serge bum-freezer with narrow trousers with snall slits cut out....Cost 9 pounds, with an extra fitting 11 pounds and it took 5 weeks !

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 November, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
Dougt
Thank you for that amazing memory walk along the High St. I do remember Cookes the pie and mash shop being in the block you mentioned-used to go in there with nan late 50's early 60's always so clean and the table tops were made of marble. Nan used to also frequent Mudies pie and mash shop in Wakefield Street.
You mentioned Heigham Road. In 1964-1967 I worked in the card shop before you got to Williams the furniture store. I cannot remember the name but it was next door to a greengrocers. Both shops were very narrow(probably two shops in one).
By the way interesting to hear that Collins could be still trading after all these years.

Keith
Yes there were lots of tailors in the High Street. Dad used always to have his made to measure and very smart he looked! He also used to go to Jack Bunney's in Barking.

Ed
I'm sure Doug has been able to answer your queries from the great description he has just given of all the shops.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:12:55 PM »
Ah, Jack Bunney.

I had my first made-to-measure by jack when he worked for Frank's Of barking in 1953!

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
Doug, superb recall!  One or two comments on your 'memory walk:'

Burges to Lathom:  Larkins ice cream from the side window - I remember that - my nan and granddad lived in Sibley Grove (just over the bridge, Barclays Bank on the corner) and we would walk past Larkins on the way back to home in Thorpe Road and, if my dad was feeling generous we'd have cornets.  Delicious ice cream!  My wife bought her wedding dress at Crays - it cost the grand sum of £20.

Clements to Caulfield: I seem to remember Memorys being referred to as "Wal Memory's?"

Clements to Caulfield: This stretch also included "Ed's" Ideal Radio store - I recall they would have a blackboard outside where the top 20 hits would be chalked up.

Caledon to Skeffington:  My mum worked at the Green Shield Stamp shop.

Skeffington to Kempton:   I seem to recall that the Weaver to Wearer shop was later a ladies fashion shop; Reynolds was a Ford dealership - I can still smell that distinctive  'new car smell' emanating from the Zodiacs, Zephyrs, Consuls, Anglias etc; the sweet/tobacco kiosk was run by a chap called Lionel - a Jewish chap who was the son of the owners of Ullmans confectioners/tobacconists opposite - when it closed , he moved across to the kiosk; Reynolds later took over the corner site.

Kempton to Thorpe:  I believe R.P.Ellen the shoe shop was next to the butchers, after which came Davant the furniture shop rather than it being on the other side?  Next was Fish's the shop with the outside awning that sold eggs, cheese etc; the chemist was the Co-op chemist; the wine shop was G.S. Smith & Sons.

Thorpe to Lloyd:  after Nelson's came the Co-op butchers and on the corner was the Co-op tobacconists.

St Johns to Myrtle:  This stretch also included a large fashion store with two entrances and a large island window display at the front;  after Lewis came Dewhurst the butchers, then Downs which sold delicious meat pies with flaky pastry; between these was Bartons the Bakers and also along this section was another bakers - Hemmings?  On the corner next to Fish the jeweller/pawnbroker was a carpet shop which continued down Myrtle Road; next  (now in Myrtle Road itself) was a shop which sold all kinds of cleaning equipment, polishes, buckets etc; then there was Jacks grocery store - all stone floors with the goods in aisles - Jack was a huge Jewish guy with glasses and a moustache, always wearing a white housecoat; the fruit and veg store was adjacent to the gates of the East Ham Shopping Hall aka 'The Market.'  opposite was the East Ham Congregational Church - I used to go to Cubs there - the 24th East Ham; then there was Fosters the confectioners, then Fosters stationers; then there was the wet fish shop with a chap whom I could never understand;

Myrtle to Wakefield - no Dewhurst - this was in the previous section; there was Lyons which sold all kinds of bedding and haberdashery - my mum worked there too; a bit further along was Ullmans, which I mentioned previously in this post.

Wakefield to Heigham: not much to add here, other than Art Wallpapers was on the opposite side of the road.

Well, fellow posters we've given you something to build upon - any more?

Best regards to all.

David.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
David

Thanks for pointing out the corrections and additions to my original post. I remember Morgans in Myrtle Road as they used to packets of Postage Stamps from around the world and, as kids, we were encouraged to start stamp collections as the teacher thought it would improve our knowledge of Geography and to a lesser extent History.

Just one point that I wish to query is the furniture store on the east side of the High Street near The Cock Hotel. I can never remember Davants being on that side of the road and earlier today though it may have been Times Furnishing but then remembered their showroom was in Barking Road opposite the Town Hall and next to Hawkins.

Speaking to a friend this evening who spent his younger days living in Kempton Road  he felt that the shop had "Wood" in its name and the only Furnishing Store I can think of would be "Cavendish Woodhouse".

Is anyone else able to verify this?

DougT

Offline Rennay

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
I worked as a 'Saturday' girl in the dress shop next to or very near the Gaumont ... the name 'Sylvia's' rings a bell although I could be mistaken. I also worked in 'George's' ladieswear on the hill by East Ham station and I bought my wedding ring in Bravingtons jewellers just up from the Gaumont.

Does anyone remember a large furniture store near Bravingtons? I remember Max Bygraves coming to open it and the crowds stopped the traffic. I can still see him larking about with a vacuum cleaner ... dancing as he pretended to clean the carpet! Everyone was cheering!

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:06:56 PM »
Reenay

In my earlier posting I thought the furniture shop near the Gaumont was Davants which later became Hardys. Leydaf thinks that Davants may have been on the other side of the road but I think we agree that at one time the store traded as Hardys.

My mother also worked at Georges in the 1950s but I suspect that you were still at school at that time! Thanks also for suggesting the name Sylvias as a possibility for the dress shop. I cannot remember it but hopefully Linda or her mother will be able to.

DougT

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
The Jewellers, Russell & Co, mentioned in Will B's post was located immediately next to East Ham Tube Station on the Sibley Grove side therefore I placed them in the wrong location when compiling the location of shops in my posting a couple of days ago. The Jeweller that I though was located between Lathom and Clements Roads was "Empire Bullion" which was located opposite The Black Lion between Clements and Caulfield Roads. Apologies for misleading you all.

DougT

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
Hi Rennay
Just spoke to mum but she said Sylvia's isn't ringing any bells. She does however remember Bravingtons the jewellers. This dress shop is proving a real headache. I have got everyone I know who lived in and around East Ham trying to remember.
Also Rennay I must apologise for not replying when you posted about getting the material for your school uniform in Hawkins. I have since had it confirmed that they did indeed sell material.

Doug
I also used to collect stamps but until you mentioned it had forgotten about where I had bought them. Also when speaking to mum she confirmed that she's sure the furniture shop next to Hawkins was Times Furnishings. After her and dad got married in 1949 they bought their Beautility Furniture there which she said was so well made and long lasting.

Linda