Author Topic: East Ham High Street  (Read 77316 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: East Ham High Street
« Reply #240 on: 23 September, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Linda,

When replying to a message, if you click of the left icon of the second row the letters IMG will appear in your post. By copy and pasting the web address of the picture which will end in JPG,
between the right and left square brackets, the full size picture will automatically appear in your post.

This is what I did with the picture above.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Thanks Mick will have another go. It's a bit small I obviously didn't get it quite right.
« Last Edit: 23 September, 2015, 10:31:27 AM by linda c »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #242 on: 23 September, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »
Linda, I have done it for you.

It's a really great picture and although undated, given the dress style and the fact tram lines and cables can also be see in the picture, I would estimate the date to be about 1910.

As this is an item on sale, it seems to me only right to add the link where it can be purchased.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Street-North-East-Ham-RP-nr-Barking-/121753703783?hash=item1c59161567 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Street-North-East-Ham-RP-nr-Barking-/121753703783?hash=item1c59161567)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 23 September, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
Great photo Linda (assisted by Mick). Taken from opposite Thorpe Road looking northwards towards the station.  The pawnbrokers sign belongs to Fish Brothers and The Cock Hotel is the "white building" on the right hand side of the road

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 23 September, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
Thank you Mick for enlarging the photo. (I will have to have some lessons!!). As you and Doug say it's a lovely photo and I thought about the early 1900's looking at the clothes. Thank you Doug for confirming the location.

It is interesting to see these old postcards and I can imagine my great grandmother walking along there doing her shopping.

Thank you also for adding the link Mick to e bay.

Linda

Offline ksmoore78

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 16 November, 2015, 01:39:02 PM »
I came across this message board whilst doing some ancestry research. After reading mostly all of this very interesting thread, there seems to be some excellent knowledge of East Ham High Street. But I never found the info I was looking for.

So I was wondering if any members could help me. My Great grandmothers relatives lived at 84 High Street North in the 1911 Census. They ran a Grocers (Not a greengrocers from what I can make out) from this time till into the 50's. I was trying to find out if the grocers was at 84 High Street North or they just lived there and the shop was elsewhere. My Aunt remembers going to the shop on the High street just not where. The family were the Taylors, so maybe the shop was known by this name too.

Thanks,
Keith

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #246 on: 16 November, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »
There is an entry in the 1935 London Telephone Directory for a G A Taylor Prvsns, ( I assume that is provisioners). 84 High St North Telephone GRAngwood 0476.

Offline ksmoore78

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 16 November, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »
Thank you MickG. That's exactly what I was looking for, it was George Albert Taylor who ran the shop. And he is down as a provisions merchant in the 1911 census. I will have a look around the internet to see if there is any more info on the shop.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 16 November, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Assuming that there has been no re-numbering in the intervening years 84 High Street North is in the block between Skeffington Road and Caledon Road (Between what was Woolworths and the Argos shop)

Offline ehmahh

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
Hi Doug and Linda. That store I believe was Davants and Max Bygraves opened it.

Does anyone think the photo attached is the Davants in question? I am trying to find location, its my grandfather in the photo and he is no longer with us. Any information appreciated!

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 14 December, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
Davants was a large furniture store situated in High Street North just past Wakefield Street going towards the station opposite Caledon Road. The shop comprised possibly 5 or 6 single shop units so it is not the "Davants" shown in the photo on the previous post. The bus stop shown in the photo is what was known as a "Compulsory" Bus Stop where all buses had to stop whether or not requested by passengers. In High Street North the Bus stops serving North and Southbound buses at East Ham Station were compulsory but the next bus stops going towards the Town Hall, outside W H Smith and opposite The Cock (Northbound) and outside Easterns (now Argos) (Southbound) were both Request Stops. The next stop southbound just before the Town Hall was a Compulsory Stop but I do not recognise the shops in the background as being in that location. The numbering of the shops in the photo is unclear but if it was that location the numbers would be between 20 and 30. The shop on the right appears to have a very plain and sparsely dressed window and my first thought. was that it could be an undertakers. "Davants" seems to have a lot of posters/advertising in the window so may be a newagent/tobacconist but the shop to it's left seems quite small as if it may be a half unit. I'm not convinced that the photo was taken in High Street North but perhaps someone will prove me wrong!

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #251 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:57:56 PM »
I have been looking up the telephone directories to see where Davant's had premises located. Judging by the look of the photograph I have been looking around the 1945-1955 era.

Davanrt's had two premises in High St North, One at number 11 and the other at 197. The latter is located on the bridge at East Ham Station and given the flat road surface,, that one can be clearly eliminated. Number 11 is down to memory as that location has been redeveloped. Their main building was at 124 Middlesex St E1. That is a possibility but again he area has been heavily redeveloped.

The only other thing I can think of is the building to the left of Davant's which looks something like a bank. From the picture it is not possible to make out the name, but then this site only accepts low size and therefore low quality pictures. It may however be possible to make out the name of the building from the original picture using a magnifying glass, If this is possible then it might be possible to look up the location(s) of this company/bank to see if they coincide with any of the Davant's locations.

Offline ehmahh

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 15 December, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »
I have been looking up the telephone directories to see where Davant's had premises located. Judging by the look of the photograph I have been looking around the 1945-1955 era.

Davanrt's had two premises in High St North, One at number 11 and the other at 197. The latter is located on the bridge at East Ham Station and given the flat road surface,, that one can be clearly eliminated. Number 11 is down to memory as that location has been redeveloped. Their main building was at 124 Middlesex St E1. That is a possibility but again he area has been heavily redeveloped.

The only other thing I can think of is the building to the left of Davant's which looks something like a bank. From the picture it is not possible to make out the name, but then this site only accepts low size and therefore low quality pictures. It may however be possible to make out the name of the building from the original picture using a magnifying glass, If this is possible then it might be possible to look up the location(s) of this company/bank to see if they coincide with any of the Davant's locations.

Unfortunately, i don't think i can get a copy of the original, this photo i have is a photo of a photo! Which is a shame. Maybe this is not the Davants that was in East Ham.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 31 March, 2016, 08:08:27 AM »
Way back in 2011 I started this topic by asking if anyone remembered the name of the drapers on the corner of High Street North/Barking Road and Doug replied that it was Hawkins.

I have recently been looking at the excellent Newham Photos website and found a photo of the closing down sale of Hawkins in 1972.

The site is www.newhamphotos.com/p855282161/h2AB72BC6

« Last Edit: 31 March, 2016, 08:17:26 AM by linda co »

Offline DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 31 March, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »
Looking at the old high street photo there are what looks like double yellow lines in the road. I wonder what they were.