Author Topic: East Ham High Street  (Read 76445 times)

indaloman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Joseph Hunt

• Helpful user
  • Lived in E16 and E13
    • View Profile
Re: East Ham High Street
« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2011, 11:29:46 PM »
In the Barking Rd opposite Katherine Rd there was a large hoarding that was advertising an engaement ring for Feiltelsons. The ring was half in and half out of advert. My fiance and I liked it so much that we travelled on to Feiltelsons and bought the same type ring.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
Going back to Leydaf's posting regarding various other Co-op outlets such as Greengrocers, Butchers and Funeral Directors I cannot  remember the large "Departmental" Co-op store in East Ham selling grocery in the 1950s as it tended to be a Traditional Department Store selling Ladies and Gents Clothing Furniture, Household and Electrical Goods, Perfumes and Haberdahery. I do recall the Hairdressing Salon and also the Restaurant and of course the annual visit to Santa's Grotto usually on the first day of the Christmas School Holiday. These days it seems children can visit Santa during the Autumn Half Term break. I have a faint recollection, and naturally stand to be corrected, that in latter years(1960s)  the Co-op may have sold some grocery from the main store by using the section of the store nearest to The Denmark as a Grocers. In store bakeries were probably not thought of in those days so I would imagine that the Co-op would have only sold other brands of bread made by Rank Hovis McDougall.
Whilst on the subject of the Co-op Can any one still remember their Divi Number. I thinks ours was 250194.

Dougt

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
Doug, if you can recall where the escalators were, that is where the grocery department was, prior to when they were installed in about 1961.  As you suggested, this would have been adjacent to the Denmark.  If my memory serves me correctly, it was a fairly narrow saloon stretching a long way back into the store; the floor was, I think, black and white tiles/marble and the counters made of wood.  There was no self-service then and I remember, as a young lad in the early 1950s,  being bored out of my skull while my mum and I would wait in the inevitable queue, then finally get served by a white apron-ed assistant who would disappear into a store room  to fetch each item which she wanted, then write down the price on a pad.  Then would be totalling up and the question "What's your share number?"  I'm a saddo and remember ours: 765179. ::)

Regarding a bakery, I'm sure you're correct that in-store bakeries weren't around in those days; however, I was thinking more along the lines of an outside shop such as the others which I mentioned.  If there was one, I can't place it - any ideas, anyone?

Happy days!

Best regards.

David. :)

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

Re memories from Leydaf and yourself.
 In the mid to late 40,s the Coperative Society had adjoining the
 Denmark Arms a long fairly narrow area for selling Butter,Cheese,Eggs,
 Bacon and such like a bit like to-daysDelicatessen.
 They may have even sold some form of meats like Rabbit?

Louise

Offline Rennay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
If I remember rightly my Mum used to go to Hawkins to buy the material for my school summer dresses. I went to East Ham Girls Grammar and they were the local suppliers for the check materials! :)

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »
It has been very interesting hearing all the memories of East Ham High St. Further to Dougt and Leydaf mentioning groceries in the Co-op mum remembers it well on the ground floor. She also recalls the restaurant where the waitresses wore uniforms and there were white tablecloths on each table.

The other shops she remembers are Sainsbury's and Israels (the greengrocers) in the Barking Road opposite the Town Hall and Caters in the High Street where you could buy broken biscuits. There was also a ladieswear shop just past the Gaumont which was still there in 1981 but she can't remember the name. I said I was sure someone on the forum would remember.

Incidentally mum is an ex District Nurse who worked in East Ham from 1955 until she retired in 1985. Some of you may have seen her on the District, in the beginning on her bike and then in the 1960's in her dark blue Morris Minor (Just like Nurse Gladys Emmanuel) in Open All Hours.

Linda

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
Linda, Sainsbury's in the Barking Road was an immaculately clean store, with marble floor and the Sainsbury name in the wall tiles at the end of the shop; all the produce was behind glass counters and their goods were top quality.  Israel's was a shop which, when closed, was fully protected by roller shutters and when opened the staff would set up stalls which extended onto the pavement and were covered with a canvas roof and sides.  My mum would send me to Caters and I always used to dislike going there - they had separate queues for different items of food and I would always manage to get into the wrong queue only to be told, when I got to the head of it, "That's the counter you want, over there, sonny."  I can't recall the ladies outfitters past the Gaumont - my mum would have known, but she's not around any more.:( I'll ask my sister, she may know.  Btw, the Gaumont was knocked down some time ago - don't know whether you knew this?  I used to go to the Gaumont, or the Premier as we used to call it, for Saturday morning pictures.  I remember everyone getting a bit fidgety as the session progressed with quite a bit of talking among the children and eventually there would be a great shout of "SHUT UP!" from, presumably, one of the attendants.  When we came out, it was always through the rear doors, across the car park and into Holme Road;  I remember there being a wall which us boys would climb over rather than walk through the opening (Boys  ::)) and there would be an old guy shouting at us to get down!  Great days.

Best regards, David.
« Last Edit: 14 November, 2011, 10:41:14 PM by leydaf »

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:38:34 PM »
Linda, I meant to ask, does your mum remember the roof garden and cafe at the Co-op or was the restaurant she is referring to, inside the store?

David.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
There is a commercial picture postcard site that has a number of pictures of East Ham High Street, link below. I cannot copy the pictures here for copyright reasons but these old pictures might jog a few people memories.

http://www.history-in-pictures.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=94

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:49:39 PM »
Mick, brilliant! Many thanks.

David in Suffolk.  :)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
Mick, Thanks for the link to the photos of High Street North. Although most if not all were taken before our time they are sure to stir up some memories.

Linda and David. Again thanks for mentioning Caters. I recall that it was a double shop with Groceries to the right as you entered., a Cheese and Dairy products at the far end of the shop, Cooked Meats etc to the left and the Biscuit Counter was in the middle of the shop. My mother worked at Caters for a number of years so if she was the person who always told you that you were in the wrong queue then accept my apologies!

I think shops in those days had their regular customers that staff got to know and my mother always mentioned one lady who would come into the shop just as it was closing for the day at 5.30pm to buy a small tin of peas. It used to drive my mother mad particularly as most counters had "cashed up" for the day and invariably the lady wanted change.

My mother also used to tell of an incident that occurred late in the afternoon one Christmas Eve. The store were obviously anxious to sell their supply of Frozen Turkeys and Chickens before they shut for Christmas and obviously on the afternoon of Christmas Eve they were very busy as many customers used to wait until then before purchasing because Freezers and Refrigerators in the home were not so common. My mother was responsible for ensuring that the Window Display was kept "topped up" and brought some frozen chickens from the Cold Store. She placed them in the window but unfortunately she must have pushed them to hard against the glass in the window which promptly shattered. The manager was not pleased at having to remain at the shop late on Christmas Eve to wait for the glazier to carry out repairs.

I cannot remember the Ladieswear shop that Linda mentions just past the Gaumont. From memory the shops immediately past the Gaumont were a Dry Cleaners (Eastmans?) Opticians (Hammonds?) Stylo Shoeshop and a Fish and Chip Shop. There was then a large furniture store (Davants later Hardy & Co) and then a number of ladies clothes shops which I never had reason to go into.

Another shop that I remember from the 1950s was Jeromes, a photography studio, where my mother used to take me every year to have a photograph taken. I used to hate it!.

I'm sure there are many other memories of other shops in the High Street.

Dougt

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
David
Thank you for your vivid descriptions of Sainbury's, Israel's and Cater's which brought back many memories.

I wasn't aware that the Gaumont or Premier as you reminded me had been knocked down. On my last visit to East Ham it was to visit St Mary Magdalene's Church and Cyprus Place in my quest to complete some gaps in my family research. I remember Saturday morning pictures but we used to go to the Granada in Barking Road. I also remember the twist competitions that they held there on the stage in the 60's.

The ladies shop near the Gaumont seems to have everyone guessing. A friend of mine remembers buying clothes in there but can't remember the name.

By the way mum doesn't remember the rooftop garden and cafe in the Co-op and said that the restaurant was inside the store.

Mick

Thank you for the link to the photo's of the High Street. So interesting.

Dougt

Thank you for your memories. Your mum must have been so upset at breaking the window. What a wonderful story.

I have several photos's that were taken at Jeromes. They always had the name stamped on the back of the photo. I expect it must have been quite costly to have photographs done in a studio.

Thanks to you all
Linda

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
Doug, no apologies on your mum's behalf necessary - it was probably my own fault - maybe I would have looked at the smallest queue and joined it, hoping to 'pull a flanker!' :))  Breaking the window on Christmas eve: priceless!  Do you remember The Milk Bar along that stretch past the Gaumont?  The fish and chip shop was The Ocean.  Still no handle for Linda's ladies shop. :(

Linda, there was a kind of 'demarcation' that existed, over whether you went to the Premier (Gaumont) or the Granada for Saturday morning pictures, i.e. you were either  Premier or  'Granadier.'
I did go there once with two brothers who had recently moved into the road next to mine, and it seemed really alien.  I remember them having a break and an MC came on to the stage and got everyone singing their song: "We're one for all and all for one, we're East Ham Granadiers ..." to the tune of The British Grenadier.  Then there was a talent contest where various hopefuls  strutted their stuff.  One little lad was having a go at "I'm a little teapot, short and stout...." , when someone shouted out "Chuck him off!"   The MC stormed on demanding to know who had shouted out - you could have heard a pin drop. (I can't see that happening these days!)  Finally, the culprit was identified and the MC invited him on to the stage "to show everyone how much better he could do!"  Naturally the 'shouter' declined and the MC denounced him as a coward.  I don't recall whether or not the little lad finished his 'teapot' song!  Here's a picture of the old Gaumont site - it was taken quite a while ago, so I expect there is something built in its place now.

Best regards to all.

David.

Offline leydaf

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Linda, here's a pic of St Mary Magdalene church aka East Ham church.  My grandmother is buried there, although I could not find the grave when I visited the churchyard, several years ago. I seem to recall my mum saying that when she died, the family could not afford a stone, so it was probably afruitless search from the start.  I spread my mum's ashes there when she died in 1996.

David.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
David
Thank you for the pictures. I can imagine the scene in the Granada! My family graves are all hidden now. When my nan was alive she received a letter telling her the churchyard was being turned into a nature reserve. It is now really overgrown with brambles but we managed to find several of the graves a few years ago.

I have just been looking on the A-Z of the Newham Story and under High St North found a 1965's photo and you can see Cater's on the awning. (Thought Doug would like that one). Also again under High St Nth 18-20 a photo showing Nelsons. Do you remember it? It was a stationers and also sold tobacco and lighters etc. It was opposite the Co-op. Another picture I found was W.Hill & Sons 347 Barking Road East Ham which was a wet fish shop taken in 1983.

At this rate we'll soon have a shoppers guide to East Ham High Street from years ago!

Linda