Author Topic: Bobby Moore  (Read 2921 times)

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
Bobby Moore
« on: 26 September, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
I was watching a repeat of the 'Bobby Moore' story on TV this morning, and I was once again reminded what a great player and role model he was. The story of him being born during the blitz, and of his family dodging the bombs cetainly struck a chord with me.
Some of the modern footballers could certainly learn from him, at in being reminded that they are idolised by young people, and that their behaviour should reflect this. Unfortunately this is too often not the case.
He was a true 'Hammer'.

Alan

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Re: Bobby Moore
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »
Alan

I never had the privilege of knowing Bobby Moore personally but I knew his family and have remained friends with his cousins for many years. A story is told that soon after Bobby broke into the first team at West Ham he was turned off a bus in Barking Road on his way home from a game as he did not have enough money for his fare. As you say Bobby together with many of his contemporaries of the 50's and 60's were superb role models for any lad aspiring to become a footballer. In those days players travelled to and from the ground by public transport with the supporters and the father of a friend of mine owned a newagents/tobacconists in Green Street opposite Redcliffe Road that was often frequented by the players after games or training.
Like you I often wonder how many of today's overpaid and overrated stars would cope with travelling to and from games by Public Transport as well as playing on some of the "mud patch" pitches that were common in the winter months.

Dougt

Offline e15boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
The word legend is so over used these days........Not where Bobby is concerned.

LEGEND nuff said...........

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
I noted that the roadway leading up to Wembley Stadium is named after him, and of course there is the 'Bobby Moore' stand at Upton Park. Are there any other prominent landmarks named after him?
Of all the tributes given in the programe, the one by George Best impressed me the most. It was not over flattering, and at the end he said,"I should hate him, but I love him". From one football great to another.

Alan

Offline e15boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
In forest gate just behind forest gate school there is a whole estate named after west ham players including Moore walk.
E15Boy

Tony Quinlan

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
I was fortunate enough to meet Bobby and wrote an account of it that appears at http://www.bobbymooreonline.co.uk/tributes.html
  Mine is the third tribute down.
« Last Edit: 15 February, 2016, 01:45:09 AM by Tony Quinlan »

Offline anjo

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
I am in the photo. I got a copy from MirrorPixs.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2016, 08:32:44 AM »
Are there any plans to continue naming a stand after 'Bobby' at the new stadium?

Tony Quinlan

« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »
I know there's going to be a Bobby Moore statue somewhere on the premises.
As for the stadium itself, it will be hard to get an atmosphere anything like the one generated at Upton Park  due to the players being so bloody  far from the fans because of the running track.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
Hi Tony, West Ham Stadium was considered at one time to be a future home for The Hammers, but the brains said at that time, "It will never work because the fans are separated by the speedway & greyhond tracks"
KenM

Tony Quinlan

« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
I think it's a huge shame they are making this move myself.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »
Hi All I believe that the old Wembley stadium had a speedway track but they held football matches there for years.
They used to say the reason football could not be held at the West Ham Speedway track is because they could not get the crowds to and from the stadium because of problems with public transport.
I bet the people who live in the area around the Boleyn ground breathed a sigh of relief when it was announced that West Ham were moving to Stratford as it would ease parking problems in the area around the ground.
Regards  Harry.I. 
« Last Edit: 15 February, 2016, 09:07:23 PM by harry »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
I guess that those of us who watched football at the Boleyn Ground from the 1950s onwards will remember how close the crowd was to the pitch which gave the ground that special atmosphere. The bottom of the goal nets at either end of the pitch touched the boundary wall behind the goal and spectators standing at the front of the old West Enclosure and Chicken Run could touch players and probably hit a linesman as they were so near to the pitch. I seem to remember some linesmen would run along the inside of the touchline to avoid being hit by a spectator particularly if they had just given a contentious offside decision.  Looking at the ground today there is far more space between the pitch and the crowd on all 4 sides which proves that those responsible for re-developing the ground over the past 20 or so years have done a remarkable job in a confined space.