Author Topic: HMS Rawalpindi  (Read 26949 times)

Offline Bert

• View Profile
Re: HMS Rawalpindi
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »
"Bert,
Did George Kent, who you worked with, come from West Ham and can I ask where it was that you worked with him."

Kathy,
I've no idea where George Kent came from, but he was certainly a Rawalpindi survivor and had a Cockney accent. We then worked for the Post Office at Kingston-on-Thames, Surrey. (My family had moved to Surrey from Forest Gate.) In those post-war days one's work colleagues could come from all over the show in the UK.

I believe that George Kent was then living in Chessington, Surrey. If it is worth the trouble I'll try to track down his roots from this end.

Incidentally, like the Rawalpindi, the armed troopship on which I went abroad during WW2 had been a peacetime P and O liner using the Royal Docks. - the S.S. Mooltan.

Bert.

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »
Bert

thanks for that info about George Kent. By the sounds of it he wasn't from this area. No need to investigate further.

Kathy

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
Bert,
When I first started work on the ships in 1954 the Mooltan was in Tilbury waiting to be scrapped.
Mooltan 1923-1954.
1923 launched by Harland and Wolff Belfast.
1939 Requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as an armed merchant cruiser
1941 Returned to her owners for service as a troopship and converted by R & H Green and Silley Wier Ltd,Tilbury
1947 returned to her owners
1948 re-entered commercial service.
1954 Sold for £150,000 to the British Iron And Steel Corporation (Salvage) Ltd.

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »
Thank you, Will. Very interesting.

It is hardly correct, on this thread re the Rawalpindi, for me to comment on the Mooltan so I must resist the temptation.to do so. However, I well remember that trip with about 2,000 other British Servicemen aboard, from King George V Dock, Glasgow to Bombay, our concerns about the "Mooltan" being at the exposed very rear of the convoy (the reason came to light when we got into safe waters).

The troopship ahead of us in that convoy was the S.S. Otranto. Did it also use the Royal Docks in peacetime?

Bert.

the temptation.

My trip on the Mooltan, with about 2,000 other Servicemen, started from King George V Dock, Glasgow

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
Bert
In peace time the Orient line vessels of which the Ortranto was one, normally departed from Tilbury but of course in war time we all know things are different, if when you went aboard the P.& O Mooltan if she was in the KGV dock then the Ortranto could have also berthed there, for they were roughly the same size and neither were as big as the Mauretania which was the largest ship ever to enter that dock.
Below is some comparisons, its interesting to note that the Ortranto was faster than the Mooltan so you did very well to keep up with her.Will

Mooltan               Ortranto          Mauretania
Length          600.8 Ft.               659.Ft              772.Ft         
Width               73.4.Ft                  75.Ft               89.5 Ft
Speed              16 knots             18 knots           23.knots
Tonneage     20847.G.T            20051.G.T      35677 G.T

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
Will,
Thanks to you again for the info.

You slightly misread my message, for we sailed from King George V Dock in GLASGOW, not London.. Glad we did. We left the dock at 5 a.m. so had daylight all the way down the Clyde and out into the Irish Sea. I have never forgotten the wonderful scenery and landscape with which to say "Cheerio" to Britain for a while.

Didn't see the Ortranto until next day. Went up on deck and we were in an Atlantic convoy of umpteen ships surrounded by vessels of the Royal Navy.

Bert.

Offline KenS

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 June, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of John Haggerty, Greaser on HMS Rawalpindi, missing presumed killed? He was about the right age to be my gt grandfather born c 1874 who lived at 26 Charlotte Street, Tidal Basin in 1911. Before that, I believe he lived at 65 Wouldham Street, Canning Town.
Ken Stiles

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
When my younger brother first went away to sea he sailed on the M V Otaki V C, a New Zealand Shipping Co.vessel.
You might have noticed the V C after the name,perhaps some one might know how the ship was awarded the V C ?.
In the years he went away to sea he also sailed on the Hertford,Rangitoto,Rangiticki,and the Rangitani.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
See http://www.hms-worcester.me.uk/page2b.html, explains that the VC was won by the captain of a previous  Otaki, Capt A Bissett-Smith (RNR).

Offline plaistowkid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 September, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
The Stratford Express reported that it was thought that up to 100 local men were serving on the Rawalpindi but so far, these are the only local names that I have been able to confirm.

Bert – your ‘Kentie’ must have been the Kent listed below as a POW.

Killed – 238 in total
BAGRIDGE, Frederick A, Fireman, - Canning Town
DESBOROUGH, Clarence, Fireman, - Tidal Basin
EVANS, Charles H, Fireman, - Canning Town
HARRINGTON, Henry, Fireman, -Custom House
LIDDY, Henry R, Greaser, - Custom House
LLOYD, Albert D, Fireman, - Custom House
MARRON, John J, Greaser - Manor Park
MEAKINS, Jesse W, Fireman, - Canning Town
MOSS, William A, Fireman, - Plaistow
READ, Harry, Fireman, - Forest Gate
RICHARDSON, Alfred W, Water Tender, - Plaistow
TAYLOR, Robert J, Water Tender, - Stratford
WINSTONE, James W, Fireman, - Canning Town
BURRELL, Robert J, Fireman, - Granville Road, C/T

Prisoner of War – 27 total
HUZZEY, G. W., Fireman - Canning Town
THOMAS, E. W., Fireman - Custom House
DIXON, E. A., Greaser - Custom House
KENT, G. C., A.B., R.F.R.      

Picked up – 17 total
REID, Robert, Cook -Stratford
FLEMMING, Henry, Steward - Stratford

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I have been told by an aunt that her half great aunts husbands Edward Querry wenty down with the Rawalpindi. Can i ask where you got the list of names from please.?

Thanks
Gill

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 September, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »
Hi Gill

I have the casualty list from the CWGC which gives the names of Naval Auxiliary Personnel, Royal Fleet Reserve, Royal Naval Reserve, Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, Missing Presumed Killed, and reports from The Times, The Stratford Express and various other printed and electronic sources which gives survivors and POWs. I have just looked through some of my records and have also searched the CWGC Roll of Honour but I cannot find a record of anyone named Querry or any similar name.

It might be worth double checking the details with your aunt as well as finding out any other info that might help i.e. the year and place of his birth, when he married and the name of his wife, also the area in which he lived.

Kathy

Offline plaistowkid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 September, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for looking anyway. I do have those details so ill take a look on CWGC site.

Much appreciated

Gill x

Offline Chrissy

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 January, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
On doing some research on my grandfather who went down on the HMS Rawal Pindi in 1939 , I found this forum really interesting. My grandfather William Cook was the leading signalman on the Rawal Pindi and almost righthand man to Captain Kennedy who apparently was not of good sight.

What I want to add is the strange coincidence that my grandfather was also sunk on the submarine Poseidon which collided with a Chinese junk in 1931. He was one of the rescued who were picked up by the HMS Rawal Pindi!! He retired from the Navy in 1938 but was recalled in 1939 when war broke out. He couldnt wait to get back onboard as the Navy was his life and he couldnt settle back into civies. There has been a book written about the Poseidon where my grandfather is mentioned.

If anyone has any further news regarding my grandfather, please email me. He came form South London in Battersea.

Offline cookie78

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 April, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
As a new member I found this site very interesting.  Having read the post by Chrissy about her grandfather William Cook, signalman who went down with the Rawalpindi, I think he is the same William Cook as my Uncle, whose photograph which always sat on our mantelpiece, inspired me to join the Royal Navy.  I served there for 23 years and retired as a Chief Petty Officer Electrician in 1975.

My Father was Albert Cook born in Wimbledon and William was one of his brothers.  I would be pleased to provide more information on my family to Chrissy.

Offline malcmere

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 July, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
Hi

One of my relative's John Joseph Marron born in 1909 served on HMS Rawalpindi as a greaser and was killed in action when it sunk in 1939. My dad and his aunt remember being told of his death. John's mum Florence took his death extremely badly and she had a constant stream of tears and did not move out of her chair for 6 months.  The family tried to coax her out the chair and get her to eat and she lost a lot of weight which she never put back on.

I have attached a photo of John

Cheers

Malcolm