Author Topic: Table Tennis  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Rennay

• View Profile
Table Tennis
« on: 26 July, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »
Does anyone remember the champion Table Tennis player Chester Barnes. I seem to remember he lived in Forest gate and attended some sort of club in Sebert Road

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
Re: Table Tennis
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
I played him once.  He won!!

On the theme of t-t they used to play the Thameside Championships at the Red Triangle (?) in Greengate.  I saw Johnny Leach and Diane Rowe there one year.  Both were World Champions and very pleasant people (Mind you I was in love with Diane at the time).  I still have the autographs and the programme.
Gercha!

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »
Yes, back in the good old days of table tennis at Fellowes Cranleigh in Plaistow when Wally Read used to do the coaching and at St Lukes Canning Town (where Father Goose would not let you play if you had not been to church) and also at Fairbairn House club at the Abbey Arms.  I loved it back in the early 60's when I played for Tate & Lyle, Standard Telephones & Cables and also Fellowes Cranleigh in the Barking League.  I packed it in in 1967 and did karate until 1995.  In December 2007 I went back to table tennis and I am now almost back to my 1960's Premier Division standard and now enjoying it more than ever.

Yes, I also played Chester Barnes & lost!  He lived in Capel Road near Wansted Flats.  I bought one of those almost square shovel shaped table tennis bats that he put his name to, but I didn't like the rubber and went back to my Stiga 'Mellis Maelstrom' bat.  Also about at that time was Stuart Gibbs who played at Fellowes Cranleigh and still plays in the Premier Division of the Southend Table Tennis League. - Stan
« Last Edit: 26 July, 2008, 05:08:45 PM by Stan Dyson »

Offline Rennay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2008, 01:54:05 AM »
Yes Stan...that's right, Capel Road. He was a good friend of my cousin who still lives in Capel Road and has stayed in touch with Chester.
Chester now lives in the West Country.